Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does everyone have problems credits and refunds?

youtube

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,473 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

I've never had an accounting error or a "disappeared" return. Amazing when you consider how many HRs I've returned. I think D*'s accounting department is one of their pluses.

With each return, I do print out the USPS and FedEx trackings so that I can prove that I did return them. Never had to use one.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:07 PM

It is amazing . . I am a new customer and had about 10 different credits or rebates . .they got each one right . . they did as promised . . which is hard to do for a brand new account

#23 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:31 PM

Returned a receiver on a previous account on June 26, 2010. Shipped on June 20th. I was charged $265 on August 13th for non return of a receiver. DirecTV acknowledges getting it and have now finally sent me a letter that tells me that my account has been credited. When I call and ask about it my account shows a $0 balance and that it will be another 6-8 weeks before a refund is issued. I finally was able to talk to a CSR supervisor to explain my problem on Thursday night. He said he would look into it. I haven't heard back yet

It shouldnt take more than 5-7 business days for a Non-Return Fee refund.. Even though they are currently more busy than normal due to high volume, I'd still say less than 2 weeks for a refund to your account. 8 weeks is a bit ridiculous...
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#24 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

It shouldn't, but this is something I hate about big companies. Anything involving money always takes 6-8 weeks. I know Fortune 500 companies where getting paid in 90 days is right on schedule.

Of course, they expect to be paid in 30 days when they bill you.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#25 OFFLINE   Av8r

Av8r

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

Sorry, I disagree, at least on your specific example of your PPV issue. That is a non-issue because that information is clearly available. I am glad for you that they gave you the refund, I just disagree with the "they should give us a break when we do a dumb thing because we're new." I wish cops followed that rule ..... "Officer, I just got my license and didn't realize that driving drunk could kill someone. Yes, I've seen it on TV and in driving school but still, give me a break." <written with tongue in cheek of course> :)

You're analogies don't apply even if tongue in cheek. There is a big difference between drunk driving and a $5 business mistake. A cop has not interest in keeping my business or having me refer my friends. Of course I understand they have the "right" to charge me, I'm just saying it's a poor business decision. I went from a very satisfied customer a few weeks ago, to one that will not be recommending them to any of my friends. They would be way smarter to keep their new customers happy.

On another note, I ordered a network card from them, but when it arrived, it only had 1 network connection and I need at least 2 to hook up my AVR and BD player. I called before installing it and asked to send it back. I was told it was non refundable. Again, I guess they have the right to be that way, but it's a poor example of customer service. Even though I was pretty sure I'd lose the argument, I disputed it with my credit card company. Well, I just got my new montly bill from D* and there was a $91 programming adjustment. When I called, I was told that it was applied because I disputed the credit card payment. I just got off the phone with my credit card company and they seemed pretty sure that that is not legal. They are supposed to dispute the credit card charge in good faith. They can't arbitrarily apply charges that are not part of my initial contract.

Do you folks really think I'm being too hard on them? They just seem really uninterested in keeping customers happy. I have a small business, and I would never treat my customers this way.

In any event; I went from a customer that was enthusiastically raving about them, to one who will steer my friends away from using D*, even though I still love the programming I get from them.

#26 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:21 PM

8 weeks is a bit ridiculous...

8 weeks, if I let this play out with what the last CSR told me it will take 11-13 weeks. It has been 5+ weeks to get a credit issued and I was told last week and additional 6-8 weeks for a refund check. I think I will just wait now and see what happens.

As far as mistakes for new usres. It sure looks like it is intentially made so that new users could easily accidentially make purchases. Channel down a couple of channels below 200 and you have $10.95 pay per view movies. Press select and you have the option to 'buy now', 'record it' or 'showings'. Why not have a 'back' or 'exit' option as a selection. The 'exit' button on the remote does not work at that point. It is not at all obvious especially when you get a remote that gets sluggish. Then you might acceidentally make the purchase and then be too embarassed to call and ask for a refund. I saw my 77 yr old father getting stuck on pay channels the first few hours he had his system and I had to help him.
Almost there.
A few more seconds please...

#27 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:17 PM

Of course I understand they have the "right" to charge me, I'm just saying it's a poor business decision. I went from a very satisfied customer a few weeks ago, to one that will not be recommending them to any of my friends. They would be way smarter to keep their new customers happy.

On another note, I ordered a network card from them, but when it arrived, it only had 1 network connection and I need at least 2 to hook up my AVR and BD player. I called before installing it and asked to send it back. I was told it was non refundable. Again, I guess they have the right to be that way, but it's a poor example of customer service. Even though I was pretty sure I'd lose the argument, I disputed it with my credit card company. Well, I just got my new montly bill from D* and there was a $91 programming adjustment. When I called, I was told that it was applied because I disputed the credit card payment. I just got off the phone with my credit card company and they seemed pretty sure that that is not legal. They are supposed to dispute the credit card charge in good faith. They can't arbitrarily apply charges that are not part of my initial contract.

Do you folks really think I'm being too hard on them? They just seem really uninterested in keeping customers happy. I have a small business, and I would never treat my customers this way.

In any event; I went from a customer that was enthusiastically raving about them, to one who will steer my friends away from using D*, even though I still love the programming I get from them.

Make sure you tell your friends "YOU screwed up" and they wouldn't refund you for YOUR error when you tell them of your bad experience.

This story is true (not an analogy) it happened to me dozens of times over our 25+ years in the retail business. A customer would come in to one of our stores with (in one example) something she burned with an iron while preparing it to be installed. She said knew she used too hot a steam iron but it was simply an accident because her iron overheated (or she didn't turn on the steam) although the product said to NOT use an iron but to use a steamer. We refused to refund her $75 and she started yelling that she was going to tell all her friends never to shop in our stores because we wouldn't refund her money. Our answer to that was always the same. "We understand your reluctance to want to shop here and tell your friends about your experience but please make sure when you tell them we wouldn't refund your money you tell them that it was because you ruined the item by not following directions on the box."

You seem to have an awful lot of "newbie cockpit errors or misunderstandings." 5x PPV's in error, wrong network card. At what point should they say .... enough? At what point would it be time to take responsibility for your own errors and simply say "I screwed up" ? 7 days, 14 days, 30 days, 1 year?

#28 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

I'm more sympathetic to Av8r. An unoffical thirty day grace period could go a long ways toward building customer loyalty. You'd have to leave it up to CSRs to make sure this policy wasn't being abused but as an old retailer, I instantly knew the difference between a customer screw-up and someone trying to cheat me.

It goes back to my favorite salesman's phrase: You can kill the calf once. You can fleece a sheep many times.

:D

OK, so in the first 30 days if someone watches 10 different PPV's 4 times each because they couldn't read or didn't understand that it was only good for 24hrs or it clearly said "you will be charged $5" each time they watched it they should be credited the $125?

#29 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:24 PM

8 weeks, if I let this play out with what the last CSR told me it will take 11-13 weeks. It has been 5+ weeks to get a credit issued and I was told last week and additional 6-8 weeks for a refund check. I think I will just wait now and see what happens.

As far as mistakes for new usres. It sure looks like it is intentially made so that new users could easily accidentially make purchases. Channel down a couple of channels below 200 and you have $10.95 pay per view movies. Press select and you have the option to 'buy now', 'record it' or 'showings'. Why not have a 'back' or 'exit' option as a selection. The 'exit' button on the remote does not work at that point. It is not at all obvious especially when you get a remote that gets sluggish. Then you might acceidentally make the purchase and then be too embarassed to call and ask for a refund. I saw my 77 yr old father getting stuck on pay channels the first few hours he had his system and I had to help him.

You do have an exit option. It's the "EXIT" button on your remote. Just press it. Also it tells you AT LEAST twice you will be charged BEFORE you finally get charged. I really don't understand the confusion.

#30 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:56 AM

I'm more sympathetic to Av8r. An unoffical thirty day grace period could go a long ways toward building customer loyalty. You'd have to leave it up to CSRs to make sure this policy wasn't being abused but as an old retailer, I instantly knew the difference between a customer screw-up and someone trying to cheat me.

OK, so in the first 30 days if someone watches 10 different PPV's 4 times each because they couldn't read or didn't understand that it was only good for 24hrs or it clearly said "you will be charged $5" each time they watched it they should be credited the $125?

I think that falls pretty obviously under the "someone trying to cheat me" provision.

#31 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,473 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:18 AM

It is amazing . . I am a new customer and had about 10 different credits or rebates . .they got each one right . . they did as promised . . which is hard to do for a brand new account

Well, if you're gonna have one department that works correctly, it should be the accounting department. They seem to have that down quite well.

Rich

#32 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,473 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

Yes. Have patience and you'll change your mind about the way they do business. I have a hard time figuring out exactly how they try to satisfy customers. The BBB is convinced that they don't care about customers at all. I've been treated very well, for the most part, by them and never had the kind of problems you've had. My problems have been more mechanical than financial. Takes patience.

I wouldn't recommend any other provider. If I did, I'd be with that provider.

Rich

#33 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:39 PM

Getting your bill correct does seem to be an adventure. It wasn't for me when I subscribed 10 years ago, but then it was run by Hughes and there were no such things as "new customer discounts" or "leased equipment" (or commitments ;) ).

I fell for a $25 discount for adding Starz! not too long ago. You had to jump through hoops to get it, which I did but I never got the $25. You had to print out a coupon on the web then send it in with your next bill. Nothing happened. I actually called Starz! and they told me I should have gotten the credit. Finally I blew a gasket and demanded my $25 from DirecTV and grudgingly got it. A month later, I canceled Starz! and will NEVER subscribe to any premium channel again or fall for any of these so-called "rebates".

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#34 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:24 PM

Starz makes you wait two months to submit your rebate, and takes another two months to give it to you. The whole process is about four months.

#35 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

The CSR supervisior I spoke with 7 days ago did not contact me back within 72 hours as promised. I called back in and talked to level one support again. Again said I would have to wait another 6-8 weeks for my receiver refund. Since he only handled reconnections he transferred me to billing. The billing person was nice but her computer wasn't working. I waited about 20 minutes and told her I would call back later.

Review....receiver was returned on June 20, received on June 26, charged me $265 on July 13, DirecTV sent me a letter on July 30 that a credit would be applied to my account in 5-7 days, now being told another 6-8 weeks (from August 20th) for my $265 refund that I shouldn't have been charged for to begin with.
Almost there.

#36 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

Starz makes you wait two months to submit your rebate, and takes another two months to give it to you. The whole process is about four months.

I waited six months before my patience ended.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#37 OFFLINE   gitarzan

gitarzan

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:58 PM

I wrote DirecTV again today asking about my refund. I reiterated that they have no right or justification to hold my $265 for up to 11-13 weeks.

This was the response...

Thanks for writing.

I completely understand your concern about your refund request for the Non-Return Fee of $250.

I see you have a total credit balance of $265, note that this will be refunded to your card within 6 to 8 weeks from the date of the last financial transaction on the account which is 7/31. I know it takes time, rest assured that we will be refunding your account accordingly.
Almost there.

#38 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:20 PM

^ Nice letter. :grin: ;)

Since getting mad got you nowhere, I guess the old Grateful Dead lyric comes into play:

Nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
Hot as a pistol but cool inside
Cat on a tin roof
Dogs in a pile
Nothing left to do but
Smile, smile, smile.

- He's Gone, lyrics by Robert Hunter

And this song is about losing hundreds of thousands of dollars, stolen by one of the band member's father. If they can cop this attitude over that bad of a situation, what's a few weeks to wait to get reimbursed?
Of course, back in 1971 smoking all that pot helped. Posted Image

!Devil_lol ;)

But the reason for my post was I was supposed to get a $49.95 customer loyalty credit to offset a service call I needed in August to re-aim my dish. It didn't show up on my bill this month. I called and the first CSR I got understood the problem, found notes that said I was due the credit and applied it to my next month's bill. It took maybe 10 minutes from when I first dialed until I hung up. An hour later I checked my account online and there was the credit, plus tax. Yes, it should have all happened in August and without my calling but it was easy enough to resolve this way. Sometimes the system works sort of like it should.

:sunsmile:

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,473 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

^ Nice letter. :grin: ;)

Since getting mad got you nowhere, I guess the old Grateful Dead lyric comes into play:

Nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
Hot as a pistol but cool inside
Cat on a tin roof
Dogs in a pile
Nothing left to do but
Smile, smile, smile.

- He's Gone, lyrics by Robert Hunter

And this song is about losing hundreds of thousands of dollars, stolen by one of the band member's father. If they can cop this attitude over that bad of a situation, what's a few weeks to wait to get reimbursed?
Of course, back in 1971 smoking all that pot helped. Posted Image

!Devil_lol ;)

But the reason for my post was I was supposed to get a $49.95 customer loyalty credit to offset a service call I needed in August to re-aim my dish. It didn't show up on my bill this month. I called and the first CSR I got understood the problem, found notes that said I was due the credit and applied it to my next month's bill. It took maybe 10 minutes from when I first dialed until I hung up. An hour later I checked my account online and there was the credit, plus tax. Yes, it should have all happened in August and without my calling but it was easy enough to resolve this way. Sometimes the system works sort of like it should.

:sunsmile:

Ah, 1971. Another year I don't remember. Matter of fact, the whole decade... :lol:

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:04 PM

Is it just me or does everyone have these kinds of problems?

New account activated recently. First bill I was charged $10 twice for HD service. I called and had it resolved on my second bill. No big deal.

My father signed up a month later and got his first bill this week. He was also charged twice for HD access.

Ditto for me! Except I had to call twice for the credit. I told them that my time was not free for correcting their mistake not once but twice and was owed something for my time much the same as if I don't pay my bill late fees can be charged. Silence at the other end and got nothing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: youtube

Protected By... spam firewall...And...