Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multi Room not working when internet connected

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vb2u

vb2u

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:11 PM

Hello,
I have a HR24 as my main box, and a H21 w/ Deca box up in our bedroom.

If I don't connect the internet/ethernet cord to the back of the HR24, the H21 will pick up the multi room DVR.

If I plug the internet into the HR24, the H21 can no longer play multi room.

This sucks b/c I can't do on Demand on the HR24, and multi room on the H21.

What do I need to do to enable both of these?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

You cannot use the HR24 Ethernet port if you are using the HR24 for MRV. You need a splitter in front of your HR24, with one leg going to the HR24, and the other leg going to a DECA module connected to your router. Search on Internet Connection Kit (ICK)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   vb2u

vb2u

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:52 PM

You cannot use the HR24 Ethernet port if you are using the HR24 for MRV. You need a splitter in front of your HR24, with one leg going to the HR24, and the other leg going to a DECA module connected to your router. Search on Internet Connection Kit (ICK)

So if I run a deca off of the router to the spliter running to the HR24, I can still plug the internet into the ethernet and get demand + MRV?

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

So if I run a deca off of the router to the spliter running to the HR24, I can still plug the internet into the ethernet and get demand + MRV?

As posted, you need a dedicated DECA to bridge to your router. It needs to have a coax off a splitter and then ethernet to your router. This DECA needs a PI for power.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

Yes. You have to connect your internet router to a deca that is connected to a splitter, you cannot hook the ethernet directly to a DVR. As soon as you plug the ethernet into the DVR, it disables the DECA via coax.

If your current splitter has an open port, you can use that. Just treat the internet DECA as if it were a receiver, only instead of the coax line plugging into the deca, and then the ethernet from the deca plugging into the receiver, the ethernet from the deca would plug into your router and the coax output of the DECA would be plugged into another power inserter.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   chscott

chscott

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:15 AM

How does this happen? I just had MVR installed a few weeks ago and I too cannot use the MVR while the Internet is plugged into my HR24 DVR.

I handed the Ethernet cable directly to the installer and he plugged it into back of the DVR. Why would he not say anything?

Does DirecTV not sell or supply these DECA units?

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:18 AM

How does this happen? I just had MVR installed a few weeks ago and I too cannot use the MVR while the Internet is plugged into my HR24 DVR.

I handed the Ethernet cable directly to the installer and he plugged it into back of the DVR. Why would he not say anything?

Does DirecTV not sell or supply these DECA units?

In hindsight it may have not been the wisest thing to hand him the ethernet cable. Training hasn't been stellar for this new networking. Some customers are using ethernet instead of DECA networking.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

Why would he not say anything?

Many/most satellite installers learned all that they know from DirecTV or DishNetwork, and only know what they're told. Anything else, and they are left to figure it out by themselves.

Sat installers, if they got any training at all on home networking, likely were read a few blurbs that they barely understood and quickly forgot.

The fact is that plugging in an Ethernet cable to an x24-series receiver will disable the DECA networking (the networking over the coax). The right way to get your DECA "cloud" onto your home network (and/or Internet connection) is with an additional DECA adapter dedicated just for that purpose. DirecTV calls this an "Internet Connection Kit" or ICK. Previously, a normal DECA adapter was used, but the dedicated "Broadband DECA" was just released. It's just a slightly repackaged DECA adapter.

#9 OFFLINE   vb2u

vb2u

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

Anyway to get the connection kit with out paying the 49.99 in install fee?

#10 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,097 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

You could go and buy the parts yourself, like at www.solidsignal.com, or see if you can get a nice CSR to wave the installation charge.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#11 OFFLINE   mattgwyther

mattgwyther

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

How close is Ethernet/Internet to the H21? I quick and easy solution might be to goto Best Buy / big box buy a 4-port Ethernet switch and use it to split Ethernet from the H21 and Internet into the DECA on that side.... There are diagram in the Connected Home section of this web site.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...