Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

need alittle advice

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jtemmons

Jtemmons

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

Okay I just moved apartments and haven't gotten my satellite hooked up yet. The apartment complex won't let us drill the satellite in the roof and we do not have a balcony. Is a non penetrating mount the only/best way to mount a satellite on the roof?

Also the end plastic peice broke off of my LNB during the move. Its about the last 3 inches on the plastic side. Do you think it will still work? or should I go out and get a new LNB peice

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

Okay I just moved apartments and haven't gotten my satellite hooked up yet. The apartment complex won't let us drill the satellite in the roof and we do not have a balcony. Is a non penetrating mount the only/best way to mount a satellite on the roof?

Also the end plastic peice broke off of my LNB during the move. Its about the last 3 inches on the plastic side. Do you think it will still work? or should I go out and get a new LNB peice

Your a DirecTV customer. You fall under the "Mover's Connection" benefit. All you had to do was notify DirecTV when you are moving, pack up the receiver and remote and leave the dish behind. They will install a new dish and hook up the receiver and give you some freebies for staying with them!

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   Jtemmons

Jtemmons

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

I'm not technically a directv customer. I moved off to college and took my hr22 box with me and bought a satellite last year.

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

I'm not technically a directv customer. I moved off to college and took my hr22 box with me and bought a satellite last year.

If you are not getting the service leagally no one here can advise you.

#5 OFFLINE   Jtemmons

Jtemmons

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:15 PM

I didn't think that it was illegal

I just wasted 300$ on nfl sunday ticket :(

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:18 PM

I didn't think that it was illegal

I just wasted 300$ on nfl sunday ticket :(

You posted you are not "technically" a DirecTV customer. Given that how are you getting the service?

Edited by MysteryMan, 23 August 2010 - 02:34 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

I think we've gotten a little off-topic on what the OP wanted here. He was asking about non-penetrating mounts due to apartment complex restrictions. Based on what you've stated so far about no balcony and no drilling.. I'd have to say yeah, a non-penetrating sled mount would be your best bet. Those can generally run somewhere around $50-70.

And since he said he just paid $300 for NFL ST, I've gotta assume he's a D* subscriber...
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#8 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:13 PM

Have you been given the ok to put the dish on the roof with a non-penetrating mount? If it's an apt complex owned by a small company or one person, they *might* let you even though they have no obligation to do so. If the apt complex is owned by a corporation, you'll likely get a big "No" when you ask. Your renter's insurance does not cover it and the apt complex wants no part of the liability that comes with installing a heavy dish on a roof.

Edited by gnahc79, 23 August 2010 - 03:19 PM.

Video: Panasonic 42" th42ph9uk (2 component blades, 1 hdmi blade)
HR21-200 connected with blue jeans cable component cables & optical cable
Audio: Denon AVR-1602, Energy Connisseur speakers
Remote: Harmony One and an 880
MediaShare: TVersity

#9 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

I think we've gotten a little off-topic on what the OP wanted here. He was asking about non-penetrating mounts due to apartment complex restrictions. Based on what you've stated so far about no balcony and no drilling.. I'd have to say yeah, a non-penetrating sled mount would be your best bet. Those can generally run somewhere around $50-70.

And since he said he just paid $300 for NFL ST, I've gotta assume he's a D* subscriber...

He stated "technically" he wasn't a DirecTV customer. Given that I asked him how he was getting the service?. He did not reply.

#10 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:38 PM

I think he's a little confused.. as he stated he took his HR-22 to college with him, which would indicate he was at least a previous D* customer.. (unless he bought an HR22 via retail.. but its pretty useless with active service, so I dunno..)
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#11 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

I think he's a little confused.. as he stated he took his HR-22 to college with him, which would indicate he was at least a previous D* customer.. (unless he bought an HR22 via retail.. but its pretty useless with active service, so I dunno..)

If he took "his" HR22 to college...and the rest of the IRDs are still back home...along with the account's address and billing. MysteryMan isn't confused, at all.

OP...care to clarify?
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#12 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

Sounds more like

I'm not technically a directv customer. I moved off to college and took one of mom and dad's hr22 box with me and bought a satellite last year.

to me.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#13 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

Like I said everyone, he has not replied.

spam firewall