Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Charlie Chat Tonight (8/23) 9pm

gps

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:50 PM

Just to let everyone know... there is an oddly-scheduled Charlie Chat tonight at 9pm, channel 101.

Odd because usually these are at the first of a month, and not near the end... so not sure what is up for discussion, but maybe something interesting.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

Just to let everyone know... there is an oddly-scheduled Charlie Chat tonight at 9pm, channel 101.

Odd because usually these are at the first of a month, and not near the end... so not sure what is up for discussion, but maybe something interesting.

Probably the agreement to add AMC HD, which people have been screaming for for all seasons of Mad Men.

Note DISH is first with this; DirecTV does not offer AMC HD.

#3 OFFLINE   kariato

kariato

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 04:56 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...?ref=technology

Looks like Dish will be offering online benefits to subscribers. Go to the article for details but it looks good.

#4 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 679 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

Hopefully, in addition to above, information about the Disney, PBS and Fuse disputes.

#5 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

What happened to the ending?

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,098 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

What happened to the ending?

They hit the wall of previously scheduled programming. :D

Charlie: "Send us your paycheck each month." Priceless.
Jim's suggestion that DISH network only costs 20 minutes of work per month? :eek2:

Most of the show was about NFL and college football. AMC was highlighted. And there was a cool preview of the DISHOnline.com upgrade launching tomorrow. Then lame answers to questions began and time elapsed. Perhaps on a replay they'll get the ending in. :)

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

Jim's suggestion that DISH network only costs 20 minutes of work per month? :eek2:

Wow on both counts!

I'm sorry I missed this one... but I was out eating dinner with family.

Those are some crazy quotes, even for a Charlie Chat!

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,975 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:37 PM

Who need to watch it and waste your time if it could be described by two phrases ?! :D

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:05 AM

I didn't record it and I'm sorry. Dish costs twenty minutes of work a month?

That's one-third of an hour. That isn't even remotely funny in this economy.

Let's assume for a moment that somehow you're getting Dish - package, receiver, etc. - for $40 a month. That's $120 an hour. Or $20,800 a month. Or $249,600 a year.

Hey, but maybe he can get it for half, $20 a month. (Yeah, sure!) Well, we all know they pay their CSR's and service techs $124,800 a year, right?

So I set a timer to record the replay. I have to see this one!:rolleyes:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#10 OFFLINE   RMichals

RMichals

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:14 AM

Who need to watch it and waste your time if it could be described by two phrases ?! :D

yeah, Dumb & Dumber!

#11 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:08 AM

I'm sorry I missed this one... but I was out eating dinner with family. ...

Stewart,

I realize that this isn't a DVR forum, but I never thought I would see someone say that they would miss something because they were not home. :lol:

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,098 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:18 AM

Stewart,

I realize that this isn't a DVR forum, but I never thought I would see someone say that they would miss something because they were not home. :lol:

The way Charlie Chats are listed in the EPG data one cannot set a recurring timer (although a Dish Pass might work, if one didn't mind getting all the repeats).

The replay runs longer that the original ... no 2008 VH1 special to cut it off. :)

#13 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

The way Charlie Chats are listed in the EPG data one cannot set a recurring timer (although a Dish Pass might work, if one didn't mind getting all the repeats).

A Once timer works... :)

Also a recurring timer for the repeat - New - gets the first repeat on a recurring basis. I caught the midnight or 1 AM first repeat with that timer.

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

Stewart,

Yeah, I know... and I even posted the reminder on the forum yesterday before going out!

But... on my main TV I had my DVR "booked" with other channel recordings... and it slipped my mind to set a timer on one of my other receivers.

#15 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:11 PM

But... on my main TV I had my DVR "booked" with other channel recordings... and it slipped my mind to set a timer on one of my other receivers.

I had the same problem. I found a re-broadcast at midnight or 1:00AM and created a Timer for that all "New" episodes of the re-broadcast. It worked, and I assume it will work for the first re-broadcast of future Charlie Chats.

#16 OFFLINE   cloudy

cloudy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

They hit the wall of previously scheduled programming. :D

Jim's suggestion that DISH network only costs 20 minutes of work per month?

This is the fist time I've watched a full episode of the charlie chat, and I can now say without question, these guys have no concept of reality when it comes to the value of money.

Also Jim's says to get a 922, they'll charge a small fee. Well, I'm not exactly Poor. I make pretty good money, but I sure don't see $200 as a small fee.

Perhaps Charlie and Jim make more money than they can ever spend, and think most of their customers are in the same boat.

Also I liked the last question. Too bad I never heard the answer. Great timing guys.

#17 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 660 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

This is the fist time I've watched a full episode of the charlie chat, and I can now say without question, these guys have no concept of reality when it comes to the value of money.

Also Jim's says to get a 922, they'll charge a small fee. Well, I'm not exactly Poor. I make pretty good money, but I sure don't see $200 as a small fee.

Perhaps Charlie and Jim make more money than they can ever spend, and think most of their customers are in the same boat.

Also I liked the last question. Too bad I never heard the answer. Great timing guys.

Agreed, plus i would guess most dish bills are about 100.00 per month so that would mean jim makes 300.00 per hour. :nono2:

#18 OFFLINE   cloudy

cloudy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:02 AM

Agreed, plus i would guess most dish bills are about 100.00 per month so that would mean jim makes 300.00 per hour. :nono2:

Actually, considering how out of touch they are, Jim probably gets the everything pack with all extras, so his bill is probably closer to $150+.
So that's what 450/hr?!?

#19 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:02 AM

Actually, considering how out of touch they are, Jim probably gets the everything pack with all extras, so his bill is probably closer to $150+.
So that's what 450/hr?!?

I suspect that isn't too far off his actual salary.

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,098 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

The average DISH customer pays $73.05.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...