Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to properly connect SWM power inserter??

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Intel

Intel

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

Hi guys

I am doing my upgrade to the SWM dish - and I have placed the splitter and power inverter on the wall. I just need to plug them.

I am unsure WHERE to plug the DISH (cable from dish directly into power inserter??) or if I plug the dish to SWM and then power inserter is connected on "SWM OUT" see pictures below.

My splitter is Directv SPLIT4-Z and has "DC POWER PASS"

- IN
- OUT

The power inverter has two connectors:

- Signal to IRD (is this the dish or the splitter)
- Power to SWM (is this going into SWM in the splitter, IN or OUT?)

Thanks for the assistance. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• photo(2).jpg
  • photo(3).jpg
  • photo(4).jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:30 PM

The one labeled power to swim requires a coax run directly to the dc power passing leg labeled on the swim green labeled splitter. The ird leg goes directly to the reciever (sat 1). There will be no bbc's in this set up

#3 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

You can connect the power inserter either between the dish and the splitter or between the splitter and a receiver. If you do the latter, you must connect the power inserter to the power passing leg of the splitter.

IRD is the receiver. DO NOT plug the "Power to SWM" into the splitter or a receiver. Only plug that end into the dish (LNB).

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#4 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

Plug the dish into the splitter in the side with only one coax in/output. Make sure the dc power inverter is only plugged directly into the dc power passing leg of the splitter. The ird goes to the reciever. The other outputs on the swm splitter go to other recievers. Sorry for two posts, I just thought of a better way to explain it. If you have more questions, I would be glad to help

#5 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

Also, leave the terminator caps on any unused splitter ports to minimize signal loss.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#6 OFFLINE   Intel

Intel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

You can connect the power inserter either between the dish and the splitter or between the splitter and a receiver. If you do the latter, you must connect the power inserter to the power passing leg of the splitter.

IRD is the receiver. DO NOT plug the "Power to SWM" into the splitter or a receiver. Only plug that end into the dish (LNB).

Thanks for the details, just to make sure before I plug anything in. There are TWO ways to do it:

1) Plug inverter directly into Dish.

- POWER TO SWM goes to Dish
- Signal to IRD plugs into Splitter into the "IN" (the single to plug, see my pic)

2) Plug inverter into Splitter

How to do this? (isn't option #1 above the better way to do it?)

Plug the dish into the splitter in the side with only one coax in/output. Make sure the dc power inverter is only plugged directly into the dc power passing leg of the splitter. The ird goes to the reciever. The other outputs on the swm splitter go to other recievers. Sorry for two posts, I just thought of a better way to explain it. If you have more questions, I would be glad to help

Just to clarify, are you saying:

1) Plug dish into SPLITTER "IN" (the top plug in pic)
2) Plug inverter into the Splitter "SWM OUT" bottom left (see pic)
3) all other 3 outputs in splitter PLUS IRD OUT in Power inverter are for use in receivers?

Am I understanding correctly? Thanks for the clarification guys.

#7 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:58 PM

Yep. That is correct as long as the inverter is on the dc power passing labeled output. I know I sound like a broken record by repeating that... but trust me, if this rule is broken, it will fry the splitter.

#8 OFFLINE   stevepiel

stevepiel

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPomona

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

Another question about this. We have the same setup and it seems to be properly wired. BUT In the master bedroom, the voltage on the coax is reading 118volts, when checking with a digital multimeter from the coax to the ground on the electrical outlet BUT it reads 49 to 50 volts when the HDMI cable is unplugged from the DVR connected to the TV in the living room. it fried the plasma tv and sat box in the master bedroom when they hooked it up. The electrical is fine in the bedroom. The tv and DVR in the livingroom as well as the other two sat boxes in the other two rooms seem to be working fine. What could cause this? Could there be a problem with the power inserter? Is this a problem with the DVR? I'm completely stumped.. HELP

Edited by stevepiel, 16 August 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,852 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

You have ground issue and would cost you your TV or/and a receiver.
Urgently call electrician!

#10 OFFLINE   stevepiel

stevepiel

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPomona

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:41 PM

but the ground on the outlets are fine. no voltage on the ground wires. and it seems to only be coming through the one coax that is connected to the splitter and the sam is connected to the splitter properly. only when i plug in the hdmi from the tv (which works fine) to the dvr does the voltage spike on that one coax that goes into another room. could it be a problem with the dvr? it works fine too though.

Edited by stevepiel, 16 August 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

Don't assume your electrical is fine just because you measured its ground with a cheap multimeter. Do like P Smith said and get an electrician and have him give your wiring a once-over and test your outlets, especially those used to plug in any TVs or Directv equipment (including the power inserter)

Its not impossible that your electrical is fine and something else is going on (single nail driven through coax and electrical wire in a wall, for instance) but you need to be certain your electrical is good before you start looking at other potential causes.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#12 OFFLINE   stevepiel

stevepiel

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPomona

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

Thank you for the info. You're right, the electrical does need to be checked before anything else. I'll have an electrician check it out. Thanks again..

#13 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,907 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

Agreed. It should not be possible to measure 118V on a coax line under any circumstance. What I would suspect is that your AC neutral and hot are reversed in the outlet, and the coax is giving you a relative ground reference.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...