Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can Not Stop DoublePlay (HR24)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sfin54

sfin54

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

After receiving the software update(HR24-500) this morning, I can not stop DoublePlay from activating. So basically my receiver is "stuck" on two channels.
I have tried a reset, system test, stand by for 5 minutes, and even unplugged the receiver. Also, re-downloaded the software. The only thing that any of these did was gave me a "fresh" two channels to lock into. Once I go to two channels, I get the "live TV Conflict" screen when attempting to change the channel. When I click on the "Stop DoublePlay" button, it does nothing.

Called DirecTv, and they were no help, and could not guarantee that I would receive a HR24 if I ordered a replacement.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get the DoublePlay to stop, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
sfin54

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:38 PM

Why do you need to "stop" it? The receiver is always receiving on both tuners anyway. It will time out after a couple hours OR if a recording on the another tuner is scheduled. You will get a popup that says "Turn off double-play" as one of 3 options. If you don't respond to the popup it turns itself off if a recording on the other tuner is scheduled. I wouldn't be concerned over it. I don't believe there is any way to stop it other than scheduling a recording on the other tuner while watching the 2nd tuner.

Edit: I think you are misreading the popup. When you disable it from the popup it stops buffering the 2nd tuner but the same program WILL remain there.

#3 OFFLINE   sfin54

sfin54

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:55 PM

Why do you need to "stop" it? The receiver is always receiving on both tuners anyway. It will time out after a couple hours OR if a recording on the another tuner is scheduled. You will get a popup that says "Turn off double-play" as one of 3 options. If you don't respond to the popup it turns itself off if a recording on the other tuner is scheduled. I wouldn't be concerned over it. I don't believe there is any way to stop it other than scheduling a recording on the other tuner while watching the 2nd tuner.

Edit: I think you are misreading the popup. When you disable it from the popup it stops buffering the 2nd tuner but the same program WILL remain there.

The problem is I can only watch two channels, regardless of what I try.
I just tried this: set both tuners to record (DoublePlay goes off). Then stopped one of the recordings, and still get the "Live TV Conflict" screen when I attempt to change channels. It tells me the recording that I just turned off is now back on DoublePlay. When you go to the button to the right (stop DoublePlay), and press...no change, DoublePlay is still on.

Very frustrating.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks,
sfin54

#4 OFFLINE   sfin54

sfin54

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:49 AM

Well, had the receiver in stand by all night. Still the same issue.
The first two channels I went to, got "locked" into double play.
Can not change to any other channels. Always get the "Live TV Conflict" pop up.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
sfin54

#5 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

This definitely sounds like a weird problem. Perhaps we can get some more detail. When you bring your DVR out of standby, do you press the down arrow at all? Or are you saying that just by changing the channel it is somehow starting doubleplay on your machine?

After you respond to the message to stop doubleplay, can you then enter another channel number and have it change channel, or do you get the message yet again. (You might also try choosing the other option on that message just to check the results.)

A step by step of what buttons you are pressing and what you are seeing might help us either reproduce your problem.
DogLover

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   sfin54

sfin54

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:04 PM

This definitely sounds like a weird problem. Perhaps we can get some more detail. When you bring your DVR out of standby, do you press the down arrow at all? Or are you saying that just by changing the channel it is somehow starting doubleplay on your machine?

After you respond to the message to stop doubleplay, can you then enter another channel number and have it change channel, or do you get the message yet again. (You might also try choosing the other option on that message just to check the results.)

A step by step of what buttons you are pressing and what you are seeing might help us either reproduce your problem.

When I come out of stand by, I do not press the down arrow at all. The first two channels that I go to, get locked into DoublePlay. Does not mater if I manually enter the numbers on the remote, select from the guide, or press channel up or down. The first two channels automatically go into double play, and I can not view any other channels.

When I press "stop DoublePlay" in the Live TV Conflict screen, it does nothing. If I attempt to enter the number manually, via the guide, or up/down, I just get the Live TV Conflict screen again. The other button on this screen is the "Cancel Request" button. Pressing this just gets rid of the Live TV conflict screen, but I am still unable to change channels.

Another thing I noticed, when I do press the down arrow, I get the pop up to start DoublePlay by pressing down again, or exit to cancel. This is even though I already have the double play going. It simply adds more time to the existing Double Play.

Any guidance to on getting DoublePlay stopped, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
sfin54

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

A couple of wilde guesses:

-try redoing your satellite setup.
-try rebooting twice withing 30 minutes.

Neither should make a difference.

If you have two lines into the DVR, can you disconnect one, reboot, shut down, reconnect, and start up again?

Again that shouldn't make a difference but I'm just putting it out there.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   sfin54

sfin54

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:20 PM

A couple of wilde guesses:

-try redoing your satellite setup.
-try rebooting twice withing 30 minutes.

Neither should make a difference.

If you have two lines into the DVR, can you disconnect one, reboot, shut down, reconnect, and start up again?

Again that shouldn't make a difference but I'm just putting it out there.

Stuart,

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately it did not stop the DoublePlay.
Here is what I tried:
- Unplugged one line, reboot
- Plugged back in line, unplugged other line, reboot
- 2 reboots right after each other.

Still will lock into the first two channels, then DoublePlay will not allow me to change channels.

I am dreading having to call DirecTv again. The last CSR told me there is no way I would get a HR24 because all of the replacements are Refurbs.
errr...I have only had the HR24 for 3-4 months, really do not want to go back to a refurbed HR21,22,23.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
sfin54

#9 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

Is the down arrow stuck on the front panel?
Is the remote down arrow stuck?

Just thowing something out to see what may be turning on the double play feature.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#10 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

As Earl said in another thread "Okay... we will put that one in the ODD category.Not sure what is going on there."

JACK,

#11 OFFLINE   sfin54

sfin54

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

Is the down arrow stuck on the front panel?
Is the remote down arrow stuck?

Just thowing something out to see what may be turning on the double play feature.

No, both down arrows seem to work properly.
The DoublePlay does turn off after two hours of stand by, but as soon as you power up, the first two channels that you go to, are locked into DoublePlay.

Any other ideas?
or...worst case scenario...anything I can tell DirecTv to ensure I get a HR24 as a replacement?

Thanks for all the help,
sfin54

#12 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

Try a "reset everything" from the menu.

As far as getting another HR24, I had a second replacement unit sent to me and since it was the second DOA, they pushed my ticket up to the escalation management team and gave me a special PIN number to use when calling in on status. They put the request in for a HR24 and it did not happen. No guarantee.

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#13 OFFLINE   sfin54

sfin54

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

Try a "reset everything" from the menu.

Tried that also. No luck.
Any "service menu" that I can get into to truly wipe everything, and then just download the software?

Thanks again,
sfin54

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

Press the {OK} button when you see "Running receiver self-check" and that will give you all sorts of destructive options :)

#15 OFFLINE   sfin54

sfin54

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

Press the {OK} button when you see "Running receiver self-check" and that will give you all sorts of destructive options :)

Went through all of those diagnostic tests, everything seems to pass.
Still locking into the first two channels though.

I guess I have to take my chances with DirecTv replacing the HR24 with another one, unless someone has any other ideas?

Thanks,
sfin54

#16 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:48 PM

I believe there's an option in those menus that will let you do a destructive format of the drive.

#17 OFFLINE   prospect60

prospect60

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:49 PM

Went through all of those diagnostic tests, everything seems to pass.
Still locking into the first two channels though.

I guess I have to take my chances with DirecTv replacing the HR24 with another one, unless someone has any other ideas?

Thanks,
sfin54

Have you tried leaving it unpligged (not just in standby) for a couple hours, then rebooting.

There is a wipe everthing (reset to factory defaults) in the menu, but this won't change the firmware. I guess you could do a forced firmware update (0-2-4-6-8 while initially booting up), but if it just confirms you are on the most current firmware that won't help, but if it reloads the current firmware maybe it will clear a software glitch.

#18 OFFLINE   TEN89

TEN89

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:56 PM

do i hear reset? boring hearing all the run around. just reset

#19 OFFLINE   sfin54

sfin54

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:56 PM

Have you tried leaving it unpligged (not just in standby) for a couple hours, then rebooting.

There is a wipe everthing (reset to factory defaults) in the menu, but this won't change the firmware. I guess you could do a forced firmware update (0-2-4-6-8 while initially booting up), but if it just confirms you are on the most current firmware that won't help, but if it reloads the current firmware maybe it will clear a software glitch.

I have tried the "wipe everything," and forced it to re-download the software. Neither solved the DoublePlay issue.

I have left it unplugged for a few minutes, but not a few hours. I will try that over night, but have my doubts at this point.

Just beyond frustrated at this point....

Thanks,
sfin54

#20 OFFLINE   sfin54

sfin54

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

do i hear reset? boring hearing all the run around. just reset

I have probably reset it over 20 times in the last two days.........

Protected By... spam firewall...And...