Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just upgraded my hard drive in my HDVR2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 October 2003 - 11:49 AM

Full writeup later this week, but for now.

I just finished upgrading my HDVR2, and now I have up to 120 hours of recording capacity instead of up to 35 hours. However, if you plan on preserving all your recordings, make sure you do it on a night where you can miss programming. Even with a AMD 2200+ and 512MB of RAM, it took me from 7 PM until about midnight to crack open the case, make the image backup, test the backup, then do a full drive copy with recordings from the stock 40GB Maxtor Fireball to the 160GB Samsung.

However, the original Tivo drive, along with three copies of the image and tools on CD, are now in storage. When I add in a second drive, it will be a quick upgrade since I will just be adding capacity.

Now, I don't have to worry about watching something before it's deleted.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 09 February 2004 - 11:55 PM

Well, I still have to complete the writeup, but now, the second drive is in place, and I'm getting 243 Hours. I'm max-ed out. While the full drive copy took a evening to perform for the first drive, most of my time for adding in the second drive was spent taking apart and putting together the TiVo and the PC. The command for linking up the second drive took only about 5 seconds... and I didn't format the drive beforehand!
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera

#3 OFFLINE   beejaycee

beejaycee

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 06:42 AM

Mark, keep us posted on what happens to response time in the menus, now that you've added all of this capacity. I'm still at 40 Gigs and want to upgrade but I'm concerned about the already pokey response slowing down to "same day service" when there is 3 times the amount of info to sort & display. :)

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 February 2004 - 09:41 AM

There is a slight slowdown in the "Now Playing" list because of the number of entries in the menu. It is screaming for folders, and I think that's in version 4 of the TiVo software (but don't hold me to it). We're still at version 3.

#5 OFFLINE   beejaycee

beejaycee

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 10:12 AM

There is a slight slowdown in the "Now Playing" list because of the number of entries in the menu. It is screaming for folders, and I think that's in version 4 of the TiVo software (but don't hold me to it). We're still at version 3.

I'm working from a very superficial understanding of the upgrade but is there a swapfile setting that you changed?

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 10 February 2004 - 09:07 PM

Yes. It is recommended that you expand your swap file as part of the drive upgrade procedure in case of Green Screen Of Death (GSOD) that results in a repair of the hard drives. When you put in two large hard drives (like I have), it is necessary. See the web site.

#7 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:58 AM

But the swap increase does not impact performance, correct (better or worse)?
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

Windows Home Server, 2 TB storage, Gigabit LAN

#8 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 10:27 AM

If I can't remember if I increased my swap file and have 160GB, what should I do? Recommendations?

1) How do I determine existing size?
2) How do I determine what the size "should" be?

Thanks.
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

#9 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 10:35 AM

As noted by Dan Collins on DBSforums, increasing the swap space does increase menu spead.

As for my own experience on my T-60 which I added a 120 gb drive to a couple years ago, things definately go a lot slower once your Now Playing list fills up and you have a ton of season passes. It just wasn't optimized for such large lists in the first place. But a larger swap definately helps.

By the way, the link Mark provided was to Hinsdale and I highly recommend him. I got a preconfigured drive from him when he started out. I just plopped the drive in and 20 minutes later had 149 hours. Took me more time to remove a stubborn screw then it did the whole rest of the upgrade. There are several threads including one dedicated to Hinsdale's how to guide on the Underground forums at Tivo Community.

#10 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, I used his instructions for my upgrades too.

My issue now is how to I go back into my 160 (120+40 -original) Tivo and increase the swap file?

The instructions mention it, but are hard to follow.

#11 OFFLINE   buzzdalf

buzzdalf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 11:12 AM

Mark - did you do anything special to fit the 2nd drive in?
Did you use special bracketing? Any other special hardware?

I upgraded my DSR7000 to a 120 gig in Sept. and have been thinking of plunking another 120 in there since hd's just keep getting cheaper.

Also - I want to know more about this swap file thing, too. I don't remember doing anything like that when I upgraded.

#12 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 February 2004 - 12:02 PM

I don't know how to upgrade the swap file on a existing drive (sorry). The first upgrade that I performed was transferring the entire contents of the 40GB hard drive into the 160GB hard drive and, in the process, upgraded the size of the swap file. At the time, I had anticipated adding two drives, not one, but circumstances prevented me from adding the second drive at the last minute. Maybe the next time I get a good deal on Total Choice Premium (yeah, right... all the Pan and Scan movies I want.)

If you doing a swap of the main drive, no kit is necessary. You just remove the old drive from the bracket and install the new drive. You will need to pick up some Torx screwdrivers from Sears or a hardware store.

For the second drive, I used the Weakness Twinbreeze bracket with fans. While the kit costs $50, it is worth it, partially because the cable includes all the pins. (Many IDE cables have a cable hole plugged to prevent the cable from being inserted backwards.)

My TiVo is now filling up the drive with suggestions which include movies, Charmed, The Pretender, and Pensicola: Wings of Gold. A lot of the movies are from TCM.... I wonder why? :D

#13 OFFLINE   buzzdalf

buzzdalf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 05:14 PM

So you didn't get the PowerTrip add-on?
I've been wondering if that was necessary or not.

#14 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 February 2004 - 08:24 PM

The Powertrip isn't necessary on a HDVR2 because the power supply is large enough to handle the powerup of two hard drives. It's only needed on certain models on standalones.

#15 OFFLINE   buzzdalf

buzzdalf

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 05:44 AM

OK, thanks.

#16 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 10:26 AM

I used the http://www.9thtee.com bracket on my HDVR2s and was happy. They also include the ribbon.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...