Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

If drop HD service, must return HD receivers?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:41 AM

I thought at one time, DirecTV required you to keep the HD package in order to keep a HD receiver or DVR. Now I see in the latest software release notes:

"HD PPV no longer requires the HD Package"
http://www.dbstalk.c....64#post2556264

Which "confuses" me as in order to watch HD PPV, you would need an HD receiver, which I thought meant you had to maintain HD service.

Am I mistaken in understanding that if you drop the HD package you have to also return your HD capable <leased> receivers, or replace them with SD ones?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:51 AM

I thought at one time, DirecTV required you to keep the HD package in order to keep a HD receiver or DVR. Now I see in the latest software release notes:

"HD PPV no longer requires the HD Package"
http://www.dbstalk.c....64#post2556264

Which "confuses" me as in order to watch HD PPV, you would need an HD receiver, which I thought meant you had to maintain HD service.

Am I mistaken in understanding that if you drop the HD package you have to also return your HD capable <leased> receivers, or replace them with SD ones?

There are markets where the locals are provided via MPEG4 and the KA satellites (mine included) requiring the use of an HR2x. The HD Access fee requirement is waived for them...

~Alan

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:16 AM

As Alan said, unless you live in an MPEG4 local market area, you should be required to keep HD service if you expect to be able to keep HD equipment. There should be no exceptions made.

#4 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

You can deactivate HD service and keep the receivers however I'm pretty sure you get charged a penalty.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#5 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:37 PM

You can deactivate HD service and keep the receivers however I'm pretty sure you get charged a penalty.

... If you're in an MPEG4 market, then yes, HD service can be waived.. otherwise you cannot remove the HD access fee without disconnecting every HD receiver on the account. There are no other exceptions.. (I'm not talking about any free HD access discounts, just the service itself)
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#6 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

Ok, thanks. The software release notes had me perplexed. So I guess if you live in a MPEG4 locals market, then you can watch HD PPV without HD service....??

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

... If you're in an MPEG4 market, then yes, HD service can be waived.. otherwise you cannot remove the HD access fee without disconnecting every HD receiver on the account. There are no other exceptions.. (I'm not talking about any free HD access discounts, just the service itself)

Well, the R22 is the anomaly. Is it an "HD Receiver". Nope says DirecTV. Does it receive HD? Yup. And now with the new software you don't even need HD on your account to get the priviledge of paying $5.99 for a PPV in HD (supposedly). I wonder if they are going to put one of the HD PPV channels on the 101, 119, or 110 for the many SD customers who got R22's but don't have Slimline dishes just to get that extra buck for a PPV movie!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#8 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

.. and it's nice to watch my HD locals in HD (with no HD service, MPEG 4 market) Before, the only output resolution on locals was 480i

#9 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:24 PM

I do wonder if this dropping of the needed HD access fee for some HD content is the 1st technical step needed to drop the HD access fee for all... (Before, hardware was programmed to block or limit output of some HD channels (like my MPEG4 locals)

#10 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:22 PM

There are markets where the locals are provided via MPEG4 and the KA satellites (mine included) requiring the use of an HR2x. The HD Access fee requirement is waived for them...

~Alan

Am in Macon and Directv wanted to spend out a H24 without HD activation.:)

spam firewall