Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I've been forgotten by Directv

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MKAM

MKAM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:18 AM

I have 2 R15 receivers which I have various complaints about (not responsive to remote control commands, the fast forward feature not auto correcting properly, etc) and it seems that there are no updates for these units. I as a SD customer have been forgotten by Directv. All of the new features are not available on my units and I'm not willing to plunk over the cash for a new receiver as they are quite expensive and I've not been able to get much in the way of discounts by calling them. I've been a long time customer, since 98, so why has Directv forgotten me and left me out in the coldby not getting new features to my receivers and/or getting upgrades to my receivers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

The R15 is five years old and you can measure the true life of electronic devices the same way you measure dog years, by multiplying by 7, so expecting new and cutting-edge developments on it isn't very realistic. There are quite a few receivers/DVRs that can't get the MPEG 4 HD channels, so been there and done that. If it's leased equipment, you can call and see about having the equipment upgraded, just be sure to ask about commitment.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

"Discontinued" and "update" are almost never used in the same sentence by most electronics manufacturers.

Especially when you consider how rapidly folks are going away from SD, there is even less of an incentive to update your pieces.

Since you've been a long term customer, and I assume want to remain a long term customer, MKAM, why don't you call up DirecTV and get on a contract with new leased gear? (I'm assuming you own your R15s and aren't on contract) You might have to talk to Retention but they are there just for this situation. I'm sure they'd be glad to hook you up with current models (now there's an assumption on my part) to get you back on contract.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   MKAM

MKAM

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

I did call and apparently they weren't glad to hook me up with new equipment without a big chunk of cash. Shouldn't Directv be wanting me to remain a customer? Why should I have to threaten to jump ship for them be loyal to me since I've been loyal to them for years?

#5 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

Ask for Retention. With no hassle, I got a new HD DVR, a new HD receiver and installation, all for free, which is what I wanted, when I re-up'd last year. Tell them your story and I'm sure things will work out for you. :)
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#6 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:45 AM

See what happens when you order through the directv website, try putting a receiver into your cart. In 11-09, I put a sd receiver into my cart, free, 1-10 same thing, free. I have had HD dvr in cart for 5 months, free. But since I can only get the 101 sat, i haven't taken up on the free hd dvr.
aka Tivoburkee

#7 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:05 PM

I can sympathise with the original poster. I would love to upgrade my two DirecTivo receivers but as the DirecTV policy is not to allow the customer to request specific equipment, I can't get the R22. I would consider the R15/16 to be a step backward in capability with no support for dual buffers.

Unfortunately, although I qualify for a free HD-DVR, my inability to see any but the 101 satellite prevents me from receiving HD service.

If you look at the receiver comparisons on the DirecTV website, a number of the SD DVR features are restricted to the R22. With that in mind, I can't understand why they would consider the R15/16/22 to be equivalent.

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:00 PM

Don't expect anything "new" in terms of SD because most of us just want it to quietly go away. But if you call them and say your R15 is broken, they will send you a new SD DVR, and most likely it would be an R16. But none of the Sd receivers are going to get the new fangled features, there's no money and not much market for SD anymore.

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:22 PM

I agree. Standard-definition should be considered a legacy format. I'm not passing judgment, far from it, only saying that there isn't going to be any more meaningful development into SD receivers.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:31 PM

I agree. Standard-definition should be considered a legacy format. I'm not passing judgment, far from it, only saying that there isn't going to be any more meaningful development into SD receivers.

I think they should do away with all SD receivers.

All new receivers should be HD capable and output the SD progamming if a customer wants it.
All of these new receivers should have the eSATA hookup so that you can add a drive if you want to. They certainly can figure out that you are using it just like the MRV stuff. While they are at it, the eSATA should play on whatever receiver is on your account. This would cure the customer's problem of losing their recordings when the receiver dies ( of course no way to save them if the hard drive breaks ).
This way they would only make 1 receiver. That should save them tons of money each year from the manufacturing standpoint and on the upgrades, etc.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#11 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

All new receivers should be HD capable and output the SD progamming if a customer wants it.
All of these new receivers should have the eSATA hookup so that you can add a drive if you want to. They certainly can figure out that you are using it just like the MRV stuff. While they are at it, the eSATA should play on whatever receiver is on your account. This would cure the customer's problem of losing their recordings when the receiver dies ( of course no way to save them if the hard drive breaks ).
This way they would only make 1 receiver. That should save them tons of money each year from the manufacturing standpoint and on the upgrades, etc.

I would be happy with that approach. It would give SD viewers the features that are incorporated in the HD receivers, which are much more feature rich. Unfortunately, not all SD viewers remain with SD by choice. With trees surrounding my house on all sides, I can get the SD satellite through a notch between two trees. I can't see the HD satellites to either side. As a result I am presently stuck with the SD options which are underwhelming.

#12 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

I would be happy with that approach. It would give SD viewers the features that are incorporated in the HD receivers, which are much more feature rich. Unfortunately, not all SD viewers remain with SD by choice. With trees surrounding my house on all sides, I can get the SD satellite through a notch between two trees. I can't see the HD satellites to either side. As a result I am presently stuck with the SD options which are underwhelming.

Sounds good to me, but from what I have been reading, people who want HD are having a hard time getting a receiver. If they switched everyone over, there would be an even longer wait for new installs. :(
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#13 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

Don't expect anything "new" in terms of SD because most of us just want it to quietly go away.

SD..HD does not matter.

What we'd like to see go away is MPEG2 only equipment.

As long as future SD D* installs/replacements are MPEG2/4 capable, who cares how long they are still SD customers?

Once D* can end MPEG2 transmission, and let SD subs watch down-converted MPEG4 HD channels, we'll have all of that bandwidth to recycle into more HD for us. ;)

Edited by Kansas Zephyr, 24 August 2010 - 04:03 PM.
typo

5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#14 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

Just another voice in the choir...

Have two R15s and for the most part they work OK, slow but OK.

Been with DTV about 4 years and one R15 is are getting tired and acting flaky.

Contemplated upgrading to HD-DVR and discussed that with DTV. They offered me an HD-DVR with installation for at a real deal but since I can't choose which box I get I passed.

Some day Dish and DTV will realize that they exist for the convenience of the customer and not the other way around.

#15 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

I have 2 R15 receivers which I have various complaints about (not responsive to remote control commands, the fast forward feature not auto correcting properly, etc) and it seems that there are no updates for these units. I as a SD customer have been forgotten by Directv. All of the new features are not available on my units and I'm not willing to plunk over the cash for a new receiver as they are quite expensive and I've not been able to get much in the way of discounts by calling them. I've been a long time customer, since 98, so why has Directv forgotten me and left me out in the coldby not getting new features to my receivers and/or getting upgrades to my receivers.

Don't feel bad. I have 2 R15's also and guess what? I also have an R22 and I think it SUCKS compared with my R15's!!

It's slower than molasses. Sometimes I feel like getting up from my chair and kicking it when it ignores my remote commands. You can't use an RF and an IR remote at the same time. You can't record the Sonic Tap music channels on it. There is no RF (channel 3/4 output). If you do enable RF on the R22 (or the HD receivers) you'd better not stray too far away as it's internal antenna is a joke compared to the external RF antenna on the R15 (which works anywhere in my house).

And don't believe that DirecTV has abandoned the software on the R15 series. Who knows, you just might get an update any day now! ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#16 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

DirecTV tried that approach-an HD capable DVR receiver for everyone even if they didn't subscribe to HD. It flopped. It's called an R22. It's discontinued.

But the R16 DVR's and D12 receivers (SD only) are still very much in production. And they are being installed for new customers every day along with SD-only dishes... So there! :D

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#17 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:09 AM

DirecTV tried that approach-an HD capable DVR receiver for everyone even if they didn't subscribe to HD. It flopped. It's called an R22. It's discontinued.

But the R16 DVR's and D12 receivers (SD only) are still very much in production. And they are being installed for new customers every day along with SD-only dishes... So there! :D

and as I stated, their capabilities are underwhelming.

#18 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:11 AM

With trees surrounding my house on all sides, I can get the SD satellite through a notch between two trees. I can't see the HD satellites to either side. As a result I am presently stuck with the SD options which are underwhelming.

Are you sure? There is only a four degree span to see all three orbital locations and that wouldn't take much of a notch, if the 101 is in the middle.

Sometimes the installers are conservative when they check for line-of-sight. They ruled out one location on one of my outbuildings and went with a pole mount, and I'm sure the building would have worked. I do like the pole better, however.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#19 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:58 AM

I'm as sure as I can be with both the installer and supervisor confirming no line of sight. In fact the installer was thinking I could lose the 101 eventually although the trees that I am shooting between are mature enough that I don't think they're growing too quickly.

#20 OFFLINE   MKAM

MKAM

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:33 AM

And don't believe that DirecTV has abandoned the software on the R15 series. Who knows, you just might get an update any day now! ;)

I'll believe it when I see it...

I just don't think Directv values us who only have SD receivers as customers.

spam firewall