Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I've been forgotten by Directv

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:45 AM

I'm as sure as I can be with both the installer and supervisor confirming no line of sight. In fact the installer was thinking I could lose the 101 eventually although the trees that I am shooting between are mature enough that I don't think they're growing too quickly.

sounds to me like you just need a (taller) pole.

I installed my dad's Dish on a 25' pole to get above the trees. I know DirecTV installers may not do that (for free), but it works for him. a bit tricky to aim, but it's always possible...

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:51 PM

I'll believe it when I see it...

I just don't think Directv values us who only have SD receivers as customers.

Have you investigated the "Cutting Edge" program here on DBSTALK.COM? Check it out-you might get a surprise. (That's all I can say) ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#23 OFFLINE   MKAM

MKAM

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:50 AM

Have you investigated the "Cutting Edge" program here on DBSTALK.COM? Check it out-you might get a surprise. (That's all I can say) ;)

Yes I have looked at that.... and I must say I'm very underwhelmed by what I'm seeing over there for the R-15.

#24 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

It's a DVR developed by NDS over five years ago and it's SD. Do you really expect it to be their focus going forward?

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#25 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

Yes I have looked at that.... and I must say I'm very underwhelmed by what I'm seeing over there for the R-15.

Well, if you aren't happy with your R15 and you don't like what you saw in the Cutting Edge program for the R15, maybe you need to upgrade to HD and pay $199 to lease a reconditioned HD DVR with a new/extended 2 year commitment so you can be an HD fanboy like most of the posters here.

Or not.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#26 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

Yeah, that's it. We're all HD fanboys, as if it was something brand new and a passing fad. It's you tough guys that are holding out with antiquated TiVos and SD that we should be more like. Yup, I get it. I see the light. :rolleyes:
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#27 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:06 PM

My old black and white television is no longer being supported either. Darn you advancements in technology! I will never get with the times! I refuse to upgrade my outdated equipment!
DTV = Digital Television

#28 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:14 AM

Well, if you aren't happy with your R15 and you don't like what you saw in the Cutting Edge program for the R15, maybe you need to upgrade to HD and pay $199 to lease a reconditioned HD DVR with a new/extended 2 year commitment so you can be an HD fanboy like most of the posters here.

Or not.

Yeah, that's it. We're all HD fanboys, as if it was something brand new and a passing fad. It's you tough guys that are holding out with antiquated TiVos and SD that we should be more like. Yup, I get it. I see the light. :rolleyes:

Spock...This was a great comeback. :lol:

Signed,
A HD fanboy
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#29 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:45 PM

Oh, no. I have nothing against HDTV. In fact, I have a beautiful Toshiba flatscreen HDTV in my living room. I think the HD picture is AWESOME. (I watch it via an OTA signal)

But I think the HD OPTIONS from DirecTV are non-awesome and definitely not cost-effective. I am NOT going to spend $199 for an HD DVR upgrade complete with a 2 year commitment extension, especially since I ALREADY HAVE a DirecTV HD DVR connected to my HDTV via HDMI but DirecTV won't let me watch their HD signal because they won't admit an R22 is an "HD DVR".

And I'm absolutely NEVER going to pay an extra $10 a month JUST for an HD picture when cable and DISH network offer it for FREE for LIFE unlike DirecTV which only offers this for NEW customers IF they subscribe to NFL ticket AND Premier!! (check their latest offer if you don't believe me)

#30 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:56 PM

Oh, no. I have nothing against HDTV. In fact, I have a beautiful Toshiba flatscreen HDTV in my living room. I think the HD picture is AWESOME. (I watch it via an OTA signal)

But I think the HD OPTIONS from DirecTV are non-awesome and definitely not cost-effective. I am NOT going to spend $199 for an HD DVR upgrade complete with a 2 year commitment extension, especially since I ALREADY HAVE a DirecTV HD DVR connected to my HDTV via HDMI but DirecTV won't let me watch their HD signal because they won't admit an R22 is an "HD DVR".

And I'm absolutely NEVER going to pay an extra $10 a month JUST for an HD picture when cable and DISH network offer it for FREE for LIFE unlike DirecTV which only offers this for NEW customers IF they subscribe to NFL ticket AND Premier!! (check their latest offer if you don't believe me)

• The R22 is SD only. You do not have an HD DVR. You can complain all you want, but HD output is not available via the R22. It's a DirecTV receiver and they made that decision. There is nothing for them to "admit."
  • You don't have to pay an extra $10/month for HD. You can get it for free if you simply call in and request it.
  • It is your choice to not have HD content provided by DirecTV. Don't blame them for your decisions. :rolleyes:

DTV = Digital Television

#31 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:24 PM

Dish has conditions on their HD for life as well. But I have a friend getting Directv installed Saturday, and he's getting HD for life and he didn't get Premier or ST.

And cable HD pretty much sucks.

#32 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:28 PM

FYI, I spent a grand total of $99 for the two HD DVRs in my sig. I had a free HR10-250 offered for being an NFL-ST sub in 06. I said I want an HR20 and they obliged. The HR21 was $99. And I haven't paid for HD access since June of 2009.

Edited by bidger, 08 September 2010 - 11:38 PM.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#33 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

ThomasM, when I first signed up for leased product, I paid $299 for my HD DVR as that was the going rate in 2007. I got a bunch of other stuff for free but not the DVR. When I renewed my commitment in 2009, I got a second HD DVR, a HD receiver and installation all for free as my requirement for me to sign on the dotted line. In 2011, I plan to get more free hardware, including the latest DVR so I can retire my by then four year old piece. And I haven't paid for HD Access since the promotion was announced and don't plan to ever again.

You've been around here long enough, and read enough posts, to know getting free gear and services is all a game from DirecTV. In fact, we're in agreement. I wouldn't pay for a HD DVR or HD service, either.

Edited by Carl Spock, 08 September 2010 - 08:21 PM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#34 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:17 AM

DirecTV tried that approach-an HD capable DVR receiver for everyone even if they didn't subscribe to HD. It flopped. It's called an R22. It's discontinued.

The R22 did not flop. It was developed with a specific task in mind - to allow SD users in MPEG-4 areas to have a DVR that was MPEG-4 compatible. In reality it was an HR21 with specific software changes to limit it to SD. They found that it was just easier (and most likely more cost effective) to use HD hardware. While anyone could purchase it, it was not meant for the general population.

It's a DVR developed by NDS over five years ago and it's SD. Do you really expect it to be their focus going forward?

That is the main reason development is so slow on the R15. As DirecTV needs to pay NDS for every change to the software, it is not a priority on their list to make updates/changes. The H2x/HR2x receivers are developed in house so software changes cost significantly less.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#35 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 813 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

• The R22 is SD only. You do not have an HD DVR. You can complain all you want, but HD output is not available via the R22. It's a DirecTV receiver and they made that decision. There is nothing for them to "admit."
  • You don't have to pay an extra $10/month for HD. You can get it for free if you simply call in and request it.
  • It is your choice to not have HD content provided by DirecTV. Don't blame them for your decisions. :rolleyes:

Just a slight clarification. The R22 is just an SD receiver if you don't have HD on your account. If you have HD on your account, it shows up as R22 with HD and you can use it as an unofficial HD receiver.

Unfortunately, he's stuck in no man’s land because without an official HR2x model receiver on his account, DTV won't activate HD; even though he has a box that will do HD. If he somehow managed to get a HR2x, DTV would probably activate the HD package for free and then his R22 would become an HD receiver as well. It's the same no man’s land people with R22's are having with MRV. Since MRV requires a HR2x on the account, they can't activate MRV on an account with just R22's. So while MRV worked perfectly in beta on that setup, they can't get the DTV ordering system to allow them to add MRV (at least that's what was occurring when MRV first went live. Not sure if they fixed that glitch in the ordering system).

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#36 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:29 PM

Or not.

I have an HR21 (same as R22 which I also own) works ok.

But I have HD. Do I like it yes. But I watch some of my shows in SD only. Or programming that is 4:3 HD. So I'm not a "fan" of either. As both do the job I want. I'd rather have my favorite channels in SD then not have it at all. So there. lol :D

Edited by xmguy, 11 September 2010 - 09:37 PM.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#37 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 09:32 PM

Dish has conditions on their HD for life as well. But I have a friend getting Directv installed Saturday, and he's getting HD for life and he didn't get Premier or ST.

And cable HD pretty much sucks.

I have a "basic" cable TV package via Charter Communications. I get my locals and a few others in HD. (no HD box, QAM Tuner in the HDTV). Looks just like DirecTV HD to me.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#38 OFFLINE   MrWindows

MrWindows

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

Just a slight clarification. The R22 is just an SD receiver if you don't have HD on your account. If you have HD on your account, it shows up as R22 with HD and you can use it as an unofficial HD receiver.

Unfortunately, he's stuck in no man’s land because without an official HR2x model receiver on his account, DTV won't activate HD; even though he has a box that will do HD. If he somehow managed to get a HR2x, DTV would probably activate the HD package for free and then his R22 would become an HD receiver as well. It's the same no man’s land people with R22's are having with MRV. Since MRV requires a HR2x on the account, they can't activate MRV on an account with just R22's. So while MRV worked perfectly in beta on that setup, they can't get the DTV ordering system to allow them to add MRV (at least that's what was occurring when MRV first went live. Not sure if they fixed that glitch in the ordering system).

So, get an H22 non-DVR receiver for $50 or free from an obliging CSR and they'll have to turn HD on for you!

Sony XBR-55HX920

Sony KDL-55HX850
Sony KDL-46Z4100
Sony KDL-32XBR9

Sony SMP-N100 (Semi-Retired)

Vizio E260MV
Vizio VM230XVT
Mitsubishi CK-3514R CRT (Retired)
HR23-700;HR21-100;H23-600;H21-100;H21-200

Western Digital DX4000 NAS w/Serviio (12TB RAID5)
Seagate Theater+ (Retired)
Seagate BlackArmorNAS 400 (6TB RAID5) (Retired)

#39 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

So, get an H22 non-DVR receiver for $50 or free from an obliging CSR and they'll have to turn HD on for you!

Pay $50 and a new 2 year commitment for a non-DVR receiver that I don't need and then pay $15 a month just for HD on my R22? ($5 for the receiver & $10 for "HD Access") No thank you.

If I really was an HD fanatic and HAD TO HAVE IT (and a new commitment), I'd cancel DirecTV and sign up as a first-time customer of DISH and get a cheaper package with some great first-time customer deals (including free HD for life, free install, premium channels for a few months, and a free 2-room HD DVR). But I'm still under commitment with DirecTV and I like having multiple DVR's for only $5 extra per month each.

#40 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:15 PM

As has been said, many times before. DirecTV will not commit to shipping a specific receiver. If you request an SD DVR you will most likely get another R-15. When I recently added two SD DVRs to replace my SD DirecTivos both of them were R15-100s. In fact they made an error and double shipped and the two additional receivers were also R15-100s.

Your ownly source would be the preowned market as Places like Solid Signal no longer carry them.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...