Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The sales calls have started

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   camattin

camattin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

Wow... so I've only been a customer for 10 days and they're already trying to pitch me the NFL ST/Premier deal. I had to tell her "no thanks" 4 times before she finally gave up.

For you long timers... how often will they keep harassing me about upgrading my package?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:32 AM

Wow... so I've only been a customer for 10 days and they're already trying to pitch me the NFL ST/Premier deal. I had to tell her "no thanks" 4 times before she finally gave up.

For you long timers... how often will they keep harassing me about upgrading my package?

I've gotten 1 call in the last 2 years where they wanted me to add the HD Extra package.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#3 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:32 AM

...you turned it down? It probably would have been a better deal for you and then you could have changed programming packages after the season.
DTV = Digital Television

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:34 AM

Newbies are always hit the hardest with upgrades. ST always get's pushed. Around mid season they'll come up with another offer. Just relax and enjoy.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   camattin

camattin

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

...you turned it down? It probably would have been a better deal for you and then you could have changed programming packages after the season.

I think I'm realizing that now... but this lady was so hard to understand I was afraid I wasn't 100% sure of what she was offering.

Should've told her I'm hard of hearing (I'm not) and that she'd need to email me the details so I could read over them.

#6 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,217 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:43 AM

...Should've told her I'm hard of hearing (I'm not) and that she'd need to email me the details so I could read over them.

You don't need to lie or make up an excuse to ask for the details of an offer in writing. If the calling party refuses, then it's usually wisest to pass, whatever the offer.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

You don't need to lie or make up an excuse to ask for the details of an offer in writing. If the calling party refuses, then it's usually wisest to pass, whatever the offer.

Good advice, that goes right up there with getting a letter saying "We're an honest company."

As for me, they never harass me. I have a grandfathered package, and the last time I got harassed was when they did their blitz telling people that we needed the BBCs.

#8 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

Just tell them to add you to their do not call list.

#9 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

Just tell them to add you to their do not call list.

Since subscribers have an existing relationship they are free to call us with other offers. You may ask to be placed on a "no-call list" but they don't have to honor it.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#10 ONLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,645 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:00 AM

If you have caller ID, ignore the call.

If you answer, say no thanks, good bye and hang up. No one is forcing you to stay on the line.

BTW, my parents are long-time subscribers and got the call - they accepted Sunday Ticket and free Premier for 5 months.

#11 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:13 AM

I have been with them for almost three months and have not received one sales call. Just calls on rating their installation and repair visits I have had. I'm not complaining though. I had rather not have any sales calls.

#12 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:19 AM

I am a long time subscriber, and don't recall getting a sales call from them in at least 10 years. I assume that at some point I told them not to call. I don't know if it was verbally, or an option on their web site. However, I have to assume if you don't want the sales calls, just let them know and they will honor that.
DogLover

My Setup

#13 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,251 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

I am a long time subscriber, and don't recall getting a sales call from them in at least 10 years. I assume that at some point I told them not to call. I don't know if it was verbally, or an option on their web site. However, I have to assume if you don't want the sales calls, just let them know and they will honor that.

I don't get calls from them either. Makes me feel kinda left out. :)

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   guffy1

guffy1

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:54 AM

I wish I would get the call. I would love to get the ST deal. Has anyone heard of existing customers getting the deal?

#15 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:05 PM

Since subscribers have an existing relationship they are free to call us with other offers. You may ask to be placed on a "no-call list" but they don't have to honor it.

Yes they do. Even if you have a relationship with them. Once you tell them not to call you they are not supposed to call you anymore and if they do, you can file a complaint against them.

#16 OFFLINE   acer505

acer505

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

I have been with them for three years got a call last night if i wanted to sign up for Directv. :)

#17 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,251 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

Yes they do. Even if you have a relationship with them. Once you tell them not to call you they are not supposed to call you anymore and if they do, you can file a complaint against them.

I don't think it works that way. If you have an account with anyone, you can't get them put on the "no call" list.

Now, if you had an OOMA instead of the landline, not only would you save a lot of money, you can "Blacklist" anyone.

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:00 PM

I don't think it works that way. If you have an account with anyone, you can't get them put on the "no call" list.

Now, if you had an OOMA instead of the landline, not only would you save a lot of money, you can "Blacklist" anyone.

Rich

Yes, $250 one time, definitely beats the cost of a monthly charge for a landline. Although there are cheaper options like Magic Jack for $40 first year and $20 for each additional year. And at 2.5" x 1.5" x .5", its easy to take with you when you travel. I guess the voice quality is supposed to be superior with OOMA though. How has it been for you?
HR34-700, HR22-100

#19 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

If you ask D* to not call you in regards to marketing/sales calls/emails, then yes they will honor it. However, since you have a BUSINESS relationship with them, they may still contact you regarding non-sales related (business) matters on your account.

For example, service calls, equipment upgrades and installations, billing matters etc..

Edited by xmetalx, 24 August 2010 - 01:37 PM.

DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#20 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

I don't get calls from them either. Makes me feel kinda left out. :)

Rich

Same here.... but that's probably because I disconnected my land line and never bothered to give them a new number. :D
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

spam firewall