Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv keeps amazing me

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

OK...but recently, I too swapped a HR10-250, for a free HR20-100...with NO new two-year contract extension.

Under your scenario that would make sense. You probably "owned" your HR10-250, so a replacement box would be designated as owned as well.

For the OP's situation (at least how I read it), he's getting a new box downstairs and would be a lease. Unless of course they are are "replacing" that HR10-250 again....which they aren't supposed to be doing.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   vikefan

vikefan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

If it means anything I bought my HR10-250 at best buy several years ago.

#23 OFFLINE   flogduh

flogduh

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

Well this is what you said in your post....

"Two years ago they did a free swap for my HR10-250 and gave me a free HR21-100. I moved my old HR10-250 to the basement."

So you didn't really swap you just received an additional free HR21-100 and moved the HR10-250 to your basement, right? Now you are calling back in and saying I have this old HR10-250, what can I get for it? So are you even swapping the HR10-250 now or will you really now have 3 receivers, HR 10, HR 21, and HR 20?

Maybe we're misunderstanding what you really did in your first 'swap'.

You're putting words into his mouth - He called and asked what deal was available. I don't see anywhere in his initial post that he asked for a second swap out of the HR10..he simply asked what deals he qualified for. If DTV did their job right in the first place, his HR10 would have been flagged on his account as having been "swapped" and since he received a replacement HD DVR, it's likely a Loyal Customer offer, not a HR10 "swap". If DTV didn't do their job correctly on the initial swap, then they have no one to blame but themselves if they offer up another new "swap" when they shouldn't have.

Motto of the story, don't be afraid to ask what DTV is willing to offer. Things change all the time. They always have the right to say no as well.

#24 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

Here's the thing with the MPEG swap stuff. When a hr10 or r10 ird is swapped it is flagged in the back end of the account so that it cannot be swapped out again for free (which would be fraud). So you actually its likly that you got a Loyal Customer free upgrade not a MPEG Swap

That's what i meant "MPEG SWAP".:grin: I have a letter from Directv on that swap.

I Bought my Receiver in 1997 and still have it, i asked the retention staff if i swap the Receiver out for (HD) can i activate it at a later time she said yup..

there's no Commitment

#25 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:14 AM

They obviously don't care or they would reclaim the boxes or at least blacklist the RIDs. It's just another box out making money to them I'll bet.

I believe no they are requiring the HR10 to be returned on the swap out, since they have been burned by this type of transaction before.

#26 OFFLINE   nevea2be

nevea2be

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:01 AM

Are you guys saying that if someone got an HR10 off of ebay that they could simply call up and get a new DVR upgraded for free?

#27 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:39 AM

Are you guys saying that if someone got an HR10 off of ebay that they could simply call up and get a new DVR upgraded for free?

I don't believe you can do that anymore...it was a scumbag move b4, now its a complete low-life move that I think they got wise to.

#28 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:28 AM

Anytime you activate a 'new' receiver (new to your account)... it's a new two year commitment.... if you re-activate a receiver, then there is no new two year commitment.
HarryD

#29 OFFLINE   HerntDawg

HerntDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:35 AM

...and was paying D* an additional $5 a month, when he reactivated the HR10-250.

Most "loyal customers" can get an additional HD-DVR for $99 (or free with the right CSR). So, if he was reusing the HR10-250 for 20 months before upgrading again, he would have covered the $99 discounted lease price.

Is it double-dipping, yes. Is D* losing money? No.

I have 2 old receivers, I am fully aware that I pay 5/mo.

I do not like it, think the fee is crap. It is there....yeesh

spam firewall