Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SD Receivers

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   StangGT909

StangGT909

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:35 AM

Quick question on the H24's...

Are the H24's going to eventually replace ALL SD receivers or will DTV continue to sell SD receivers? I thought I read somewhere when the H24 was first released that it was planned to be the entry level receiver. Kind of makes sense now that you get "free HD for life". Is that true?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:38 AM

They are still producing D12s and sticking up SD dishes currently. Someday all SD stuff will be gone, but that is years and years down the road.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:40 AM

Look at all the programming coming off 101 is that HD?

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:48 AM

At this point, I'm sure D12 production is fairly low (though definitely still being manufactured), as a LOT of the receivers being installed are refurbs. Same with the R16. But the bulk of the new production is and will be HD receivers. With the current promotions (MRV and Free HD for Life), huge numbers of customers are upgrading themselves away from their old SD equipment, helping speed the day where all SD equipment will be gone.

#5 OFFLINE   StangGT909

StangGT909

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:42 PM

OK so if you want:

(1) HD-DVR (free)
(1) HD Receiver (free)
(2) Extra receivers for TV's that today are not HD but will be during the course of the 24 month contact

You'd have to either get SD receivers for free for the last 2, or pay $99 a piece for H24's? Or can you trick the system by ordering multi-room viewing and requiring a H24 for all TV's? Or is there a way you can talk them into giving you more HD receivers for free.

Just seems like before people could want multiple HD-DVR's... if now they only have to give you (1) HD-DVR for your home and the rest are H24's, you would think it would be nice if they would let you have as many inexpensive H24's as you want for free since they're only coughing up one expensive unit (HD-DVR) per subscriber.

#6 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 420 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:03 PM

Slightly off topic, but not really. Glancing at the PayTV (cable+DTH+fiber) subscriber numbers for 2Q10, and, for the first time ever, we see a decrease in net subscribers. Of course, the industry argues that this is a one-off blip, but I'm not so sure. Not with ESPN charging four dollars a subscriber, and other cable channels increasing their fees by 10+% when the CPI is growing at 0.9%, year over year.

My question. Has either of the two DTH providers been overly aggressive in retaining customers, perhaps by discounting the monthly charge by 20% or so? Hard for me to see continued growth in monthly bills with (i) CPI growing at 0.9%, and possible deflation looming, (ii) Hulu, Netflix and perhaps Apple making many programs available, and (iii) unemployment and underemployment being what it is.

#7 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:36 AM

Look at all the programming coming off 101 is that HD?

That's completely irrelevant. The H24 can tune everything coming off 101.

#8 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:56 AM

That's completely irrelevant. The H24 can tune everything coming off 101.

You think it is irrelevant how many HD satellites broadcasting HD would it take to replace that one satellite 2-4? How about the millions of SD receivers already in use that would have to be replaced before the marketplace could go HD only. Just how cheap do you think H24s are?:):):)

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,370 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

My question. Has either of the two DTH providers been overly aggressive in retaining customers, perhaps by discounting the monthly charge by 20% or so?

No. In fact, both DTH providers have realized higher average revenues per customer while not changing their rates at all in the last six months. Much of this increase is thought to be a result of greater HD uptake.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,370 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:55 AM

You think it is irrelevant how many HD satellites broadcasting HD would it take to replace that one satellite 2-4?

There are three satellites (DIRECTV 4S, DIRECTV 8 and DIRECTV 9S) at 101W making up the core SD services.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

Millions and millions of people (me included) enjoy "classic TV' which, of course, is not in HD. Many of the DirecTV channels offer this programming almost 100% (AMC, TCM, TV Land, etc.) These channels will probably NEVER offer an HD feed. And contrary to popular belief (among the frequent posters on DBSTALK.COM) most households still have LOTS of old SD TV sets still in service....and DirecTV won't hook up an HD receiver to an SD TV set. As such, the SD DVR's and SD receivers will continue to be installed for many, many years.

Plus, anyone who thinks "free HD" is really free is dreaming. Either it will end soon or that missing $10 in monthly revenue will be incorporated into future package increases (or some other clever hidden charge).

I'm perfectly happy with my SD service from DirecTV even though I have a HD flat screen TV in my living room. Most of the time, it's tuned to an SD program anyway.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#12 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:29 PM

Millions and millions of people (me included) enjoy "classic TV' which, of course, is not in HD. Many of the DirecTV channels offer this programming almost 100% (AMC, TCM, TV Land, etc.) These channels will probably NEVER offer an HD feed. And contrary to popular belief (among the frequent posters on DBSTALK.COM) most households still have LOTS of old SD TV sets still in service....and DirecTV won't hook up an HD receiver to an SD TV set. As such, the SD DVR's and SD receivers will continue to be installed for many, many years.

Plus, anyone who thinks "free HD" is really free is dreaming. Either it will end soon or that missing $10 in monthly revenue will be incorporated into future package increases (or some other clever hidden charge).

I'm perfectly happy with my SD service from DirecTV even though I have a HD flat screen TV in my living room. Most of the time, it's tuned to an SD program anyway.

HD receivers get connected all the time to SD sets. There is NO policy stating not to.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#13 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

That's about right. At some point HD Access will cease to be a line item, but I'd be really surprised if people's bills go down as a result.

As for D12s and 18" dishes, yes they're still out there. DIRECTV would like to entice you to HD, but the choice is yours.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

HD receivers get connected all the time to SD sets. There is NO policy stating not to.

My neighbor got DirecTV recently but she didn't have an HDTV. She wanted to get the new customer deal of a FREE HD DVR and FREE HD for life but was told it was only available if the customer had an HDTV. So she got an R15 and a SD receiver for her other SD TV.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#15 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

That's about right. At some point HD Access will cease to be a line item, but I'd be really surprised if people's bills go down as a result.

As for D12s and 18" dishes, yes they're still out there. DIRECTV would like to entice you to HD, but the choice is yours.

But how soon will like sunday ticket and others only be in MPEG4 so D* can drop the old sd only boxes?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#16 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

When did Directv say they won't hook up an HD receiver to an SD TV set? If they didn't want people to view HD programming on an SD set then HD receivers wouldn't have 480i/480p s-video/composite/component outputs and support standard tv's. It looks like the only reason people still want SD receivers is because that model still has a built-in coax output and they're too stupid to realize they can just go out and buy an RF Modulator for less than $20 bucks and use it to connect any HD receiver to their SD set using coax if they want to do it that way.

Edited by NewForceFiveFan, 27 August 2010 - 02:24 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

Millions and millions of people (me included) enjoy "classic TV' which, of course, is not in HD. Many of the DirecTV channels offer this programming almost 100% (AMC, TCM, TV Land, etc.) These channels will probably NEVER offer an HD feed.

Don't count HD out for "classic TV"!

Any program that was shot on film, can be remastered in HD. Granted, since 4:3 was used for framing, some programs may never be available in 16:9. Even so, HD 4:3 from 16mm film-stock will look darn good...and 35mm, excellent. (depending on the film's condition, of course)

Only those shows shot/mastered directly to videotape will be forever consigned to the SD heap.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#18 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

Just another reason to love that lost art of film. :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#19 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:49 PM

OK so if you want:

(1) HD-DVR (free)
(1) HD Receiver (free)
(2) Extra receivers for TV's that today are not HD but will be during the course of the 24 month contact

You'd have to either get SD receivers for free for the last 2, or pay $99 a piece for H24's? Or can you trick the system by ordering multi-room viewing and requiring a H24 for all TV's? Or is there a way you can talk them into giving you more HD receivers for free.

You won't get additional HD receivers for free, no matter what you do. MRV is only for your HD receivers, and does NOT upgrade SD receivers to HD.

#20 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

You won't get additional HD receivers for free, no matter what you do. MRV is only for your HD receivers, and does NOT upgrade SD receivers to HD.

Ok. Now I get what's up with the continued popularity of SD receivers. It's the customers who like getting up to 4 FREE SD receivers at Sign Up instead of spending a little extra to invest in HD technologies fault. It's simple Ma & Pa Kettle Math applied to the Directv Free Receiver Credit: 1 HD-DVR + 1 HD receiver = 3 HD receivers or 4 SD receivers.

Why bother getting 2 to 3 HD receivers to start (and get 1-2 more now or later on at cost) when 4 sub-par SD ones for Free from the get-go will do just fine in their book. They're either too dam cheap or feel it's owed to them like all the people who cried foul when OTA broadcasts went from NTSC to ATSC and their old tv's became worthless without the Government (taxpayer funded) converter box program. The people toting how much they love SD over HD probably also only subscribe to the lowest programming package.

spam firewall