Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pioneer Kuro & HR22-100 - Native Resolutions??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

HI guys, new member to DBStalk as well as the D* family (2months).
I wanted to know if perhaps there are some settings that I should be aware of either on my Pioneer Kuro 6010 (1080P) or on my HR-22, that would allow me for the very best HD PQ. I know my Kuro settings very well, but as for the HR22-100 I am struggling with the whole Native "OFF" vs "ON" setting as well as which resolution to choose.

What happens if you set native to "OFF" on the HR22, with only 1080i chosen under the "resolutions" settings along with format set to "original format"?

Native = OFF
Format = Original Format
Resolutions = only 1080i & 1080P selected

Does this mean that the signal is bypassing the HR22's internal processing and sending the signal unmolested to the TV? I actually want to use the TV's internal processing rather that the DVR's.

Can someone help me understand these settings please!

Thanks
Hidef2010

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:48 AM

This topic/issue has been around from day one it seems. :lol:
"unmolested" would mean having the receiver output "native" resolution of the channels you're tuned to.
These can be:
480i, 720p, 1080i, and with VOD 1080p/24.
If you want your TV to do all the scaling, since its native resolution is 1920x1080. you would need to have all of these resolutions selected in the receiver and use native on.
This can cause channel changing to be a bit slower, so some don't use native on and select the only resolution that is native to their display, but this has the receiver's scaler convert everything that doesn't come in this resolution.

The last part of "unmolested" would be to also set the format to "original format" and this will send the 4:3 SD in true 4:3 format without pillarbars.

Edited by veryoldschool, 25 August 2010 - 08:57 AM.

A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:18 AM

HI guys, new member to DBStalk as well as the D* family (2months).
I wanted to know if perhaps there are some settings that I should be aware of either on my Pioneer Kuro 6010 (1080P) or on my HR-22, that would allow me for the very best HD PQ. I know my Kuro settings very well, but as for the HR22-100 I am struggling with the whole Native "OFF" vs "ON" setting as well as which resolution to choose.

What happens if you set native to "OFF" on the HR22, with only 1080i chosen under the "resolutions" settings along with format set to "original format"?

Native = OFF
Format = Original Format
Resolutions = only 1080i & 1080P selected

Does this mean that the signal is bypassing the HR22's internal processing and sending the signal unmolested to the TV? I actually want to use the TV's internal processing rather that the DVR's.

Can someone help me understand these settings please!

Thanks
Hidef2010

Set "Native" to on and select all resolutions because they are all supported by your display.
DTV = Digital Television

#4 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:33 AM

Thanks guys,
So, if I understand you guys correctly.... with these settings:

Native = OFF
Format = Original Format
Resolutions = only 1080i selected

The HR22 will do all the scaling of whatever resolution it gets from a particular channel and covert that to 1080i. My Kuro would just then de-interlace it to 1080P.

But with these settings:

Native = ON
Format = Original Format

The TV will do all the scaling of whatever resolution it gets from a particular channel and just de-interlace it to 1080P, regardless of what's been chosen on the resolution boxes? Is this correct?

I just don't understand why you would need to check off all the resolution boxes when you have native set to ON. If native set to "ON", means that the DRV just passes whatever signals it gets to the TV and the TV can handle all of them (mine does), why the need to check any box?

Thanks

HIdef2010

#5 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

Thanks guys,
So, if I understand you guys correctly.... with these settings:

Native = OFF
Format = Original Format

The HR22 will do all the scaling of whatever resolution it gets from a particular channel and covert that to 1080i. My Kuro would just then de-interlace it to 1080P.

But with these settings:

Native = ON
Format = Original Format

The TV will do all the scaling of whatever resolution it gets from a particular channel and just de-interlace it to 1080P, regardless of what's been chosen on the resolution boxes? Is this correct?

I just don't understand why you would need to check off all the resolution boxes when you have native set to ON. If native set to "ON", means that the DRV just passes whatever signals it gets to the TV and the TV can handle all of them (mine does), why the need to check any box?

Thanks

HIdef2010

Select all resolutions and turn native on.

I have no idea why you would want to select one and only one resolution. 480i will displayed as 480i, 480p will be displayed as 480p, 720p will be displayed as 720p, 1080i will be displayed as 1080i, and 1080p will be displayed as 1080p. You want as little manipulation of the signal as possible. Selecting native as on and checking all resolutions supported by your display allows for each channel to be sent in its native resolution. Only selecting one resolution means that all content will be scaled to that prior to being sent to your display. You don't want that.
DTV = Digital Television

#6 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

Thanks Hoosier205, your last sentence finally brought to light this whole issue for me.....I now understand what you are saying.

Hidef2010

#7 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:23 AM

I set native to ON last night and had all the resolution boxes "Checked". I tested the the PQ on CH 202 (1080i) vs CH 206 (720p) and some other SD CH' (480i). Well, as expected, the HR22 did pass the original signal untouched to my Pioneer Kuro, I confirmed the resolution on my Kuro!!!
However, the problem was that I was getting a broken/distorted/pixelated picture for 2-3 sec when I switched channels that had different resolutions. Once the TV "locked" onto the resolution the CH & PQ was fine. I don't know if this an HR22 issue or my KURO or both (handshake).
If I switched between channels that have the same resolution, I would just get about a 1sec delay of black screen. This I can live with, but all that broken/distorted/pixelated picture I am finding it very hard to deal with!

Does anyone know of a way to perhaps not have all this broken/distorted/pixelated picture issue? I think someone mentioned a few posts back, that a D* FW up-date caused this problem to occur.
I don't think its my HDMI cable. BTW, I am going straight to the display from the HR22 DVR to my Kuro via HDMI and optical from the DVR to my Integra Receiver.

PS. If I leave Native "ON", and just select only 1080i & 1080p on the resolutions boxes, will that mean that at least these two resolutions will get passed through to my Kuro untouched by the DVR?

Thanks

Hidef2010

#8 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,129 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:32 AM

IMO, I can't tell a big difference (good or bad) with Native 'On.' The delay between channel changes is enough annoyance to turn it off. I keep it 'Off' with 1080i & 1080p checked, and it knows to switch for 1080p material.

hidef2010...Set it to what looks best to you, not what others tell you.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#9 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

Welcome to the club. Before getting too deep into this, I suggest comparing native on to just 1080i with native off and see if you can tell any difference. I can't, and it make everything operate much more quickly and smoothly. Keep in mind that D* SD is so terrible to begin with, the HR's scaler really can't make it any worse. So there's really no need to pass 480i or 480p since the best scaler in the world can't improve it. That leaves you with 720. Compare the HR's scaling with your Pio. If you can't see any difference, you may as well leave native off. I've done lots off comparison and determined it makes no difference, on my 60" sony LCOS at least.

#10 OFFLINE   hidef2010

hidef2010

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for the replies, I do understand what you are both saying..... I just want confirmation of the question in red on my post above. That is, if I leave Native "ON", and just select only 1080i & 1080p on the resolutions boxes, will that mean that these two resolutions will get "pass-through" to my Kuro TV untouched by the DVR? YES OR NO???

Thanks

Hidefpaul

Protected By... spam firewall...And...