Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Looking to upgrade our tailgate to HD. Need advice!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   EngravEER

EngravEER

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

After using a cheap tripod that wasn't really made to accomodate a 2" mast the last 4 years, I got a more durable one this year.

http://tv4rv.com/cgi...3&categnumber=1

I plan on getting it set up this weekend, but from first glance it seems a lot more heavy-duty and stable than the one I had cobbled together.

Still interested in hearing your thoughts on this tripod after you set it up this weekend.

Earlier in the day after your initial post, I went to their website and they appeared to be out-of-stock of the heavy duty tripod. Said though they expected to receive a shipment August 27th...today... hmmmmmm. Took time this afternoon to read reviews and feedback on various RV forums and the comments were all extremely positive. Seems to have ideal features for what I want to do tailgate-wise.

Checked back just a little while ago and boom!... listed as "In Stock w/ Limited Supply". Maybe just a marketing angle, but I took the bait. It should be headed east towards West Virginia on Monday (hopefully).

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the tripod though...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:37 PM

Morgantown... you gotta come pay us a visit on gameday.

We're in the back parking lot of the Ag Annex Building (almost directly across the tracks from the Towers PRT stop). 12-15 minute walk to the Blue Lot & the Stadium but we like it that way. We're tucked back in our own little area -- for the most part away from the parking nazis and the "officials" who have a way of taking the fun out of tailgating. :lol: I've been a mobile DJ for 30+ years (specialize in weddings), so we setup the audio equipment along with our DTV system and run that (and more) off my Honda EU2000. I'm "Director of Entertainment"... others handle the cooking, tent setup, etc.

Most of our group is from the Eastern Panhandle, but we have regulars from Morgantown, Charleston, etc. Inside the stadium, almost all of our group sit in Section 130, Row 36 (lower level, press box side towards the Puskar Center).

Why did you decide against going HD for your tailgate this season? I've got no doubt I can make it work. Only thing I have "concerns" about is pulling in my HD locals (we get the Washington, D.C. locals here in the Panhandle). Does the D.C. HD locals spot beam extend out far enough to provide ample signal in the Morgantown area? I'm going to find-out next Saturday morning about 9am!

I get really lazy when it comes to tailgating and leave my main focus on the pure fun (cooler of beer and a bag of chips does it for me). We tailgate at St. Johns Ave before the Friends Inn on your way to the stadium on the same street as Mickey D's. We have friend(s) that come in from DC every weekend and are in Section 127 (rows 6 & 7). Same side as you.

Honestly the reason for taking HD off the list was I have not even taken the time to have SD, the added expenses, and time, althought it will hapen. I plan on getting a non-DVR HR receiver (all I have is HD DVRs) which is another reason to vote against HD for me. The extra expense of a small quality generator was the nail in the coffin for me on HD this year.

I wish I knew the answer to the spotbeam question, but I don't. Hell, make a pit stop on St. John's and look for the white Malibu - my name is Jim.
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#23 OFFLINE   LarryW

LarryW

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

I have an RV and have used a similar setup for over two years. I purchased my tripod from another vendor.

[URL="http://www,rovinginternet.com"]http://www,rovinginternet.com[/URL

I use an SL3 dish purchased from Solid Signal. I have been very pleased with how easy it is to setup and level the surveyors tripods.

#24 OFFLINE   SkersR1

SkersR1

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

Still interested in hearing your thoughts on this tripod after you set it up this weekend.

I think this thing will work out great. I didn't get a chance to hook-up the receiver but I put the dish on it and was able to point it in what looked to be the correct angle very quickly.

It is built very solid and sturdy. We are fairly lucky were we get to park as there is an "island" next to us, so this will go into the ground nicely. If you are parking on a hard surface you can use a 5 gallon bucket with rocks or water to hold down the tripod to protect it from wind.

Like you mentioned before, you can adjust the legs independently of one another.

The only downfall that I noticed and I don't think it will be much of one, is that the legs don't lock into place when folded out. They can be spread out almost all the way so the dish would be about 6" off the ground. It might be a good idea to get a chain to attach to the 3 legs so the don't slide out. The instructions show this but, I didn't look at it that closely since we'll be able to push it into the ground.

And one more thing... once you guys begin play in the Big 10 (11, 12, ?) next year, please ask Bo to lay "half a hundred" on RichRod... IF he's still wearing the maize & blue in 2011. (West Virginians are a kind and forgiving people, but we make an exception for this particular native son!)

Ha Ha! I have a feeling RR will not be in Ann Arbor next year unless he produces a miracle and gets to a BCS game, but if he is I'll have a talk with Bo and see if we can oblige.

Good luck this year, only 5 more days til kickoff.

#25 OFFLINE   EngravEER

EngravEER

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:08 AM

I think this thing will work out great. I didn't get a chance to hook-up the receiver but I put the dish on it and was able to point it in what looked to be the correct angle very quickly.

It is built very solid and sturdy. We are fairly lucky were we get to park as there is an "island" next to us, so this will go into the ground nicely. If you are parking on a hard surface you can use a 5 gallon bucket with rocks or water to hold down the tripod to protect it from wind.

Like you mentioned before, you can adjust the legs independently of one another.

The only downfall that I noticed and I don't think it will be much of one, is that the legs don't lock into place when folded out. They can be spread out almost all the way so the dish would be about 6" off the ground. It might be a good idea to get a chain to attach to the 3 legs so the don't slide out. The instructions show this but, I didn't look at it that closely since we'll be able to push it into the ground.

Thank you sir! This is VERY good to hear since I put my order for one in with the TV4RV.com folks on Friday. Should be shipping-out sometime today. Only problem is that I procrastinated and with it not shipping til today from Oregon, it won't make it to me until next Tuesday :( So I"ll have to "rig sumpthin' up" for the Coastal Carolina game this weekend. Not the end of the world though. It's the typical "Lions vs. Lambs" opening weekend of college football and compelling match-ups are few and far between. UM vs. UCONN and some other good ones are at the same time slot (3:30pm Eastern) as our game, so I'm considering this more of a "practice" weekend for Tailgating TV.

I ordered the "Heavy Duty Package" with the tripod that includes leg restraints so looks like that'll be money well spent based on your comments. Would appreciate hearing any more thoughts you have on it once you get around to actually putting it to the test this weekend.

Ha Ha! I have a feeling RR will not be in Ann Arbor next year unless he produces a miracle and gets to a BCS game, but if he is I'll have a talk with Bo and see if we can oblige.

Good luck this year, only 5 more days til kickoff.

I'm with you regarding Richie's tenure in Ann Arbor. He's in an absolute pressure-cooker of a situation right now and he doesn't respond very well to pressure LOL! One needs only to remember December 1, 2007 when he blew a shot to take his Alma Mater to the National Championship Game against a 28 point underdog... and against our arch rival (Pitt) to boot. He looses to UCONN Saturday and the wheels come off quickly. I won't be shedding any crocodile tears.

Best wishes to the Huskers this year. Do the world a favor on October 16th and make the Longhorns happy that they won't be returning to Lincoln any time soon :lol:

#26 OFFLINE   SkersR1

SkersR1

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:28 PM

EngraverEER,

Not sure if you got your tripod in time for this past weekends games, but wanted to let you know this thing works like a champ. I pulled the tripod out of the truck got it leveled and threw the dish on and hooked up the receiver. We were getting 50-60s without even trying. Tapped it a little to the right and 80-90s.

took all of about 3 minutes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...