Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

RTN (Retro TV) Coming to the SF Bay Area

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

Well it looks like RTN will be coming on the air in the SF/OAK/SJ DMA. According to FamilyNet

San Francisco is going Retro in a big way. According to Jeff Chang the soon to be owner of KUNO (these call letters will be changed soon), RTV will launch in the next few weeks with initial coverage that includes both Dish Network and DirectTV for the Bay area. KUNO, licensed to Fort Bragg, is a full power digital that has been dark for some time. Chang and long time California media veteran Reid Davis are bringing the station back to life with a brand new digital signal. RTV will be carried on the primary channel of TV8 as well. TV8's Jeff Chang, said, "We look forward to TV8's debut with RTV's line up of classic programming.

I believe this is one of the old Pappas Broadcasting stations that was bought of Bankruptcy earlier this year. I am sure others on this board could fill in more details. There still seems to be some doubt if this group can actually pull off getting the station up and running, but with them mentioning both DirecTV and Dish it sounds like they have already worked out local carriage agreements.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:56 PM

Well it looks like RTN will be coming on the air in the SF/OAK/SJ DMA. According to FamilyNet I believe this is one of the old Pappas Broadcasting stations that was bought of Bankruptcy earlier this year. I am sure others on this board could fill in more details. There still seems to be some doubt if this group can actually pull off getting the station up and running, but with them mentioning both DirecTV and Dish it sounds like they have already worked out local carriage agreements.

I thought Retro TV was on KRON'S sub channel. Good Dish will carry it.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#3 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:29 PM

I thought Retro TV was on KRON'S sub channel. Good Dish will carry it.

For a long time it was listed under KRON but as far as I recall I have never seen it actually live on KRON. 4.1 is SD and 4.2 is HD, I think that dates back to when KRON used their HD channel as a secondary channel and didn't broadcast any real shows or their news on it. I have also read there is a 4.3 for KRON that just shows traffic cameras, but I have yet to every see that show up in a scan of channels.

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:16 AM

Well it looks like RTN will be coming on the air in the SF/OAK/SJ DMA. According to FamilyNet I believe this is one of the old Pappas Broadcasting stations that was bought of Bankruptcy earlier this year. I am sure others on this board could fill in more details. There still seems to be some doubt if this group can actually pull off getting the station up and running, but with them mentioning both DirecTV and Dish it sounds like they have already worked out local carriage agreements.

Are you sure this station is in our DMA?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#5 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:17 PM

Are you sure this channel is coming?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#6 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:50 PM

It looks like RTN won't make it.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#7 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:04 PM

I haven't seen any updates, not sure what happened. Maybe RTN's deal fell through with the channel. For the longest time RTN still had KRON listed as their local affiliate. I am sure some of the guys over at AVS fourm would have greater details.

#8 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:32 PM

I hope RTN's OK financially. It's one of the best networks going right now. Unfortunately the Evansville, IN affiliate dropped them for some college and high school sports nonsense. I still get them on another station though.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#9 OFFLINE   Jeff Blank

Jeff Blank

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:38 PM

According to the RTV Facebook page (posted today at 11:54am PST), Channel 8 goes live next week. The RTV web site shows KVQR on their Affiliates web page for the San Francisco Bay Area. That information was updated in the last 24 hours. Now if you look up KVQR on the web, it doesn't show, so I'm wondering if this is the new call letters for KUNO. :confused:

#10 OFFLINE   Jeff Blank

Jeff Blank

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:45 PM

According to the FCC web site, the actual new call letters are KBQR. The change was effective 10/20/10.

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

Perhaps Pappas didn't want to sell the station.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#12 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:16 PM

We shall see.. Hopefully it will come. I'm sick to death with TVLAND'S nonsense!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#13 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

Well I guess we can forget about RTN. I haven't read about it.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#14 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

I guess they couldn't get funding.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#15 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

Perhaps they meant October of 2011?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#16 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:21 PM

KVQR is listed on RTN'S website.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#17 OFFLINE   Jeff Blank

Jeff Blank

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

Looks like Channel 38 in San Francisco (38.1) started broadcasting Retro TV on Friday, April 1st! It took a while, but the wait is over. :)

#18 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,133 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:11 AM

Looks like Channel 38 in San Francisco (38.1) started broadcasting Retro TV on Friday, April 1st! It took a while, but the wait is over. :)

Cool! What happened to the other channel?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#19 OFFLINE   Jeff Blank

Jeff Blank

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:39 PM

It's on the air in the Ft. Bragg area only. I have no information regarding it ever coming on the air via satellite or cable to the Bay Area anytime soon.

#20 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:58 PM

the channel may be listed in Fort Bragg, but here in the East Bay near Mt. Diablo I am seeing RTN pretty clear on 38.1 and also channel 38 on my HR23!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...