Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV & Dish Network HD Channel Lineup Comparison

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
352 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:32 PM

I guess that means Direct passed Dish with HD premiums 27-29.

If you count the SPORTS PACK premium package (occupying 27 full-time channels), that happened a long time ago.

On the commercial-free movie channel front, DISH perhaps still has an edge with Pixl, Epix, Epix2, Retroplex and Indieplex in their Platinum package.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:03 AM

If you count the SPORTS PACK premium package (occupying 27 full-time channels), that happened a long time ago.

On the commercial-free movie channel front, DISH perhaps still has an edge with Pixl, Epix, Epix2, Retroplex and Indieplex in their Platinum package.

I'm looking at the official line up posted at top of this thread for premium movie channels that has nothing to do with sports channels. Last time it was updated was 3-10 so with the 5 new premium movie channels added yesterday Direct jumps Dish. (29-27)
Also the line-up includes counting Pixl, Epix, Epix2, Retroplex and Indieplex for Dish.

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#303 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:08 AM

I'm looking at the official line up posted at top of this thread for premium movie channels that has nothing to do with sports channels.

Official Hoosier205 list, yes. Official DBSTalk, DIRECTV, DISH Network, etc., no.

As a reference point, it can certainly be used if explicitly referenced.

Also the line-up includes counting Pixl, Epix, Epix2, Retroplex and Indieplex for Dish.

DISH's Platinum HD is not technically a Premium package as it isn't included in their top-level package and doesn't qualify for multiple Premium Channel discounting.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#304 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:53 AM

Official Hoosier205 list, yes. Official DBSTalk, DIRECTV, DISH Network, etc., no.

As a reference point, it can certainly be used if explicitly referenced.DISH's Platinum HD is not technically a Premium package as it isn't included in their top-level package and doesn't qualify for multiple Premium Channel discounting.

WHAT???? I have no clue what your beef is, facts are Directv has more Premium HD movie channels offered now. So what? I said there up by 2 premiums by the list reported on this site and your making a issue out of it.
If you want to believe Dish has more premiums, feel free.

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#305 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:59 PM

A reminder ...

This is NOT a thread to attack either provider or other members.

That being said: with this week's DirecTV additions, the count is DISH 23 DirecTV 31 for premiums (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, Encore).

The count is DISH 88 DirecTV 70 for non-RSN basics (although there are arguably some sports channels in that count - and the Platinum/Extra channels).

Overall: DISH 134, DirecTV 169 as a full time HD channel count. Under DirecTV rules they counted only full time channels. Adding 3D and distant networks (services that are not widely distributed) makes the "score" 138 to 180.

Of course if your favorite channels are not part of your provider's number the number really doesn't matter. Which is why the comparisons in this thread are MORE than a simple number. The charts provided give a bigger picture than any simple number could.

#306 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

I finally updated the list. I lost the file to a HDD failure and had to start from scratch.
DTV = Digital Television

#307 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:39 PM

Hoosier, great job. I noticed a few things that, I believe, need to be updated:
1- Dish no longer carries SNY - they are in a contract dispute with SNY.
2- Dish has never carried either MSG or MSG+ in HD, not even in a part-time basis.
3- Dish carries GSN in HD.
4- Wedding Channel is about to fold, if it hasn't folded already.
5- Nascar Hot Pass and NFL Sunday ticket temporary contract disputes with DIsh? I Don't believe so, I think dish doesn't carry it, period.
6- You may also add ESPN Deportes HD to your list. Time Warner in NYC, for instance, carries it.
7- DIsh no longer carries WFN in HD... it was dropped when DIsh decided to start carrying...
8- Dish carries Veria in HD.
9- Finally, list is missing Telemundo HD, ION HD, ABC Live Well HD, which neither Dish nor Directv carries.

That's what my tired eyes were able to see today :-) Again, great job!

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#308 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hoosier, great job. I noticed a few things that, I believe, need to be updated:
1- Dish no longer carries SNY - they are in a contract dispute with SNY.
2- Dish has never carried either MSG or MSG+ in HD, not even in a part-time basis.
3- Dish carries GSN in HD.
4- Wedding Channel is about to fold, if it hasn't folded already.
5- Nascar Hot Pass and NFL Sunday ticket temporary contract disputes with DIsh? I Don't believe so, I think dish doesn't carry it, period.
6- You may also add ESPN Deportes HD to your list. Time Warner in NYC, for instance, carries it.
7- DIsh no longer carries WFN in HD... it was dropped when DIsh decided to start carrying...
8- Dish carries Veria in HD.
9- Finally, list is missing Telemundo HD, ION HD, ABC Live Well HD, which neither Dish nor Directv carries.

That's what my tired eyes were able to see today :-) Again, great job!

Thanks for the list! I knew I would make a few mistakes having to start over like that. I will update again tomorrow.
DTV = Digital Television

#309 OFFLINE   bobl

bobl

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:29 AM

One other correction-CSN California HD isn't carried full-time on Dish Network. Like all other HD RSN's, on Dish Network, it's only carried part-time.

#310 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

Updated
DTV = Digital Television

#311 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,293 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:26 PM

Very nice job Hoosier,

Here is just a few other minor updates that you can do whenever you have time:

HD channels that are available and no longer TBD:
  • Africa Channel
  • FearNet
  • Fox Movie Channel
  • Sprout
  • Sho Beyond West
  • Sho Next West
  • Sho Women West

Fox Sports en Espanol is now Fox Deportes and its available in HD

Launching in HD Aug. 1, 2011
  • Encore Action
  • Encore Drama

Pentagon Channel is launching in HD Sept. 2011

Disney Junior is launching in HD sometime in 2012

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#312 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hoosier, you're counting 1 channel twice. CSN West (originally a game only subfeed of CSN Bay Area) changed its name to CSN California (now a 24 hour channel) a couple of years ago. CSN West should therefore be deleted.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#313 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

Hoosier, you're counting 1 channel twice. CSN West (originally a game only subfeed of CSN Bay Area) changed its name to CSN California (now a 24 hour channel) a couple of years ago. CSN West should therefore be deleted.

Thank you
DTV = Digital Television

#314 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:49 PM

Very nice job Hoosier,

Here is just a few other minor updates that you can do whenever you have time:

HD channels that are available and no longer TBD:

• Africa Channel
  • FearNet
  • Fox Movie Channel
  • Sprout
  • Sho Beyond West
  • Sho Next West
  • Sho Women West

Fox Sports en Espanol is now Fox Deportes and its available in HD

Launching in HD Aug. 1, 2011
  • Encore Action
  • Encore Drama

Pentagon Channel is launching in HD Sept. 2011

Disney Junior is launching in HD sometime in 2012

Thank you
DTV = Digital Television

#315 OFFLINE   bobl

bobl

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:06 PM

A few more items for the next update:

1. The counts at the top of the table don't add down
2. CBS College Sports s/b CBS Sports Network
3. Sony HD s/b Sony Movie Channel
4. Cox Sports New Orleans s/b resorted (did it used to be an FSN?)

#316 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

A few more items for the next update:

1. The counts at the top of the table don't add down
2. CBS College Sports s/b CBS Sports Network
3. Sony HD s/b Sony Movie Channel
4. Cox Sports New Orleans s/b resorted (did it used to be an FSN?)

Thanks. I'll work on it in just a little bit.
DTV = Digital Television

#317 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:06 PM

Apparently, there is no actual definition of what an HD "Channel" is if the OP actually believes D* has 207 HD "Channels". I guess the bottom line is why do sat providers have to lie about (or grossly exaggerate) their channel counts. I was almost going to switch to DirecTV 3 years ago and then they started blatantly lying about content, haven't looked at them since other to see that they still lie.

Dish did it too claiming they were the first to offer 200 HD channels!
BAN the FCC!

#318 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

Apparently, there is no actual definition of what an HD "Channel" is if the OP actually believes D* has 207 HD "Channels". I guess the bottom line is why do sat providers have to lie about (or grossly exaggerate) their channel counts. I was almost going to switch to DirecTV 3 years ago and then they started blatantly lying about content, haven't looked at them since other to see that they still lie.

Dish did it too claiming they were the first to offer 200 HD channels!

For the purposes of this list, we try to count everything we can. It is easier to include something, than to exclude something. How would you recommend the list be more accurate. It's a slippery slope when you start deciding what doesn't count.
DTV = Digital Television

#319 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

Today's update will have to wait until tomorrow due to...unscheduled craziness.
DTV = Digital Television

#320 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

For the purposes of this list, we try to count everything we can. It is easier to include something, than to exclude something. How would you recommend the list be more accurate. It's a slippery slope when you start deciding what doesn't count.

My main beef is with providers claiming movie, PPV's, RSN's, locals, etc. Take regional sports channels - a channel that is nothing more than a mirror of itself multiple times over (except for a local game). Counting east and west local feeds, C'mon? A PPV channel that is nothing more than a loop of one movie all day, really? I get why providers do it, but it turned me off to DirecTV a long time ago because they were (and are) the most blatant. Using D*'s logic of what they consider an HD "channel", I could claim that Time Warner in my division has 300 HD channels because of all the VOD offerings.

An HD "channel" should be just that - a dedicated network's HD feed. Everything else is just content. Then again, I'm sure they would just use deceptive ads with the word content in them like Comcast did!

At least, your list distinguishes the "channels" on the first post.
BAN the FCC!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...