Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV & Dish Network HD Channel Lineup Comparison

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
352 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,295 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:10 PM

For the purposes of this list, we try to count everything we can. It is easier to include something, than to exclude something. How would you recommend the list be more accurate. It's a slippery slope when you start deciding what doesn't count.

More accurately ... for the purpose of your count YOU count what you want. Injecting the royal "we" makes it sound like everyone agrees with the additional channels that you've added. (Please see disagreement in previous posts in this thread.)

That "you count what you want" is why we have lists and not just a number. Everyone is invited to count what they want. There is no official total for this thread, forum or site.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#322 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

More accurately ... for the purpose of your count YOU count what you want. Injecting the royal "we" makes it sound like everyone agrees with the additional channels that you've added. (Please see disagreement in previous posts in this thread.)

That "you count what you want" is why we have lists and not just a number. Everyone is invited to count what they want. There is no official total for this thread, forum or site.

You have your opinion and I have mine.
DTV = Digital Television

#323 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:38 PM

My main beef is with providers claiming movie, PPV's, RSN's, locals, etc. Take regional sports channels - a channel that is nothing more than a mirror of itself multiple times over (except for a local game). Counting east and west local feeds, C'mon? A PPV channel that is nothing more than a loop of one movie all day, really? I get why providers do it, but it turned me off to DirecTV a long time ago because they were (and are) the most blatant. Using D*'s logic of what they consider an HD "channel", I could claim that Time Warner in my division has 300 HD channels because of all the VOD offerings.

An HD "channel" should be just that - a dedicated network's HD feed. Everything else is just content. Then again, I'm sure they would just use deceptive ads with the word content in them like Comcast did!

At least, your list distinguishes the "channels" on the first post.

Every HD channel is counted as an HD channel. It's the only fair way to count them. It gets out of hand if you look for excuses to not count something.
DTV = Digital Television

#324 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,295 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

You have your opinion and I have mine.

Which is why it is good to have an occasional reminder that the count you give is your opinion and should not be considered anything "official". :)

#325 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

Every HD channel is counted as an HD channel. It's the only fair way to count them. It gets out of hand if you look for excuses to not count something.

I made no excuses - I was simply stating the facts. So, by rights then Time Warner should be able to claim 300 HD channels.
BAN the FCC!

#326 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

I made no excuses - I was simply stating the facts. So, by rights then Time Warner should be able to claim 300 HD channels.

I know you didn't. It was just a general statement. I don't know or care about TWC. Just trying to give an accurate comparison between these two providers.
DTV = Digital Television

#327 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

I know you didn't. It was just a general statement. I don't know or care about TWC. Just trying to give an accurate comparison between these two providers.

And I can appreciate the fact that you at least distinguish the designations in your list. My main point wasn't directed directly at you so much as it was against the deceptive advertising and press releases of both sat providers.
BAN the FCC!

#328 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

And I can appreciate the fact that you at least distinguish the designations in your list. My main point wasn't directed directly at you so much as it was against the deceptive advertising and press releases of both sat providers.

Yeah, DIRECTV clearly loves to be deceptive, yet even they don't claim to have 207 HD channels. !rolling

Enough said

#329 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:17 PM

Yeah, DIRECTV clearly loves to be deceptive, yet even they don't claim to have 207 HD channels. !rolling

Enough said

They say more than 170. 207 happens to be more than 170. :)
DTV = Digital Television

#330 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

Enough said

Swann nails the topic:

http://www.tvpredict...dcare071211.htm

http://www.tvpredict.../dlie071411.htm

Dish does it too:

http://www.tvpredict...bozle042010.htm

Nuff said'
BAN the FCC!

#331 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,295 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:28 AM

When I started listing four years ago the intent was to explain the counts that the providers were giving. A company claims 100 HD channels ... how do they get that figure?

I did it generally for DISH, and Sixto did it over in the DirecTV forum for DirecTV - not a contest of "who is bigger" (or even the biggest liar) but an answer to the simple question of "how did they come up with that number"?

Last spring (2010) DirecTV came out with an actual list as a marketing piece. (The list was not kept up to date and has now been removed.) They set a standard for what they would count and what they don't count. Full Time including 3D plus 8 for distant networks. Following that standard, DirecTV now has around 180 HD channels (I have not audited PPVs lately).

DISH, on the other hand, decided to counter DirecTV's "200" capacity claim by claiming over 200 channels carried ... and when they created their list it included everything they could plus 59 VOD titles.

As stated, creating lists to explain counts is why I started listing channels. Being able to say "that is how they got that number" and then deciding what channels to discount as padding on a personal level. If "everything" is to be included then nothing either provider counts should be excluded - even if it seems to be padding or delivered only to a very narrow audience.

Personally I like DirecTV's counting standard ... less padding and no double counting of channels. It is a capacity based count. No provider can have more channels than they have the capacity to carry at any given moment. That limits DISH to 154 channels and DirecTV to whatever Sixto is saying in his reports (capacity used to deliver channels to customers - not test channels). Any count higher than used capacity is padded.

#332 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:02 AM

Personally I like DirecTV's counting standard ... less padding and no double counting of channels. It is a capacity based count. No provider can have more channels than they have the capacity to carry at any given moment. That limits DISH to 154 channels and DirecTV to whatever Sixto is saying in his reports (capacity used to deliver channels to customers - not test channels). Any count higher than used capacity is padded.

Yea, but you can't watch capacity. That is where they fail or maybe it's where they succeed? Succeed as in fooling sub and potential subs that the missing HD is coming. I'm just glad I didn't get sucked into a two year contract with D* waiting for channels that never came (or will come). At the same time, I'm fortunate that my Time Warner division has become an HD leader so I have a choice of getting the HD channels I want.
BAN the FCC!

#333 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:33 PM

Updated
DTV = Digital Television

#334 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,295 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:23 PM

Yea, but you can't watch capacity.

Read the whole post ... it is capacity in use. When a provider doesn't have all of their channels running at the same time or must take down some channels to provide others that should to be accounted for.

Counting channels in the guide that are simply placeholders that may at some time have content is as bad as counting unused capacity as channels. That is why I believe counts should never exceed the capacity in use.

#335 OFFLINE   bobl

bobl

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

Great update! After reviewing, I found a few other corrections/suggestions:

1. ABC West (KABC0 s/b ABC West (KABC)
2. Subscription Sports Packages counts are off- 6 & 3 s/b 7 & 4 per the table
3. Alternate Regional Sports s/b 14 for Dish as they now have 4 Big Ten and 10 Alternate Games (they recently increased these from 6 to 10)
4. Add Oxygen HD (neither provider has it yet)
5. Sort the Alternate Regional Sports Networks the same as the Full-Time & Part-Time Regional Sports Networks

#336 OFFLINE   bobl

bobl

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:11 AM

Couple other items I came across:

1. Rename Encore Mystery to Encore Suspense
2. Rename Encome Wam to Encore Family

Both changes take effect August 1st along with the launch of Encore Action HD and Encore Drama HD. The HD versions of Suspense and Family aren't launching on August 1st but the SD versions are being renamed on that date.

#337 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,295 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:58 AM

Couple other items I came across:

1. Rename Encore Mystery to Encore Suspense
2. Rename Encome Wam to Encore Family

Both changes take effect August 1st along with the launch of Encore Action HD and Encore Drama HD. The HD versions of Suspense and Family aren't launching on August 1st but the SD versions are being renamed on that date.

That change can be made in two weeks. :)

#338 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:36 PM

Dish doesn't carry Prime Ticket in HD? Really? That's beyond ridiculous. I don't even understand how that could happen considering Fox likes to package that with FSW...

#339 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

Dish doesn't carry Prime Ticket in HD? Really? That's beyond ridiculous. I don't even understand how that could happen considering Fox likes to package that with FSW...

Actually, it looks like they do carry it on channel 411. I had to redo the list from scratch and I may have made a mistake with that one. Can a Dish customer confirm Prime Ticket in HD?
DTV = Digital Television

#340 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,295 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

Actually, it looks like they do carry it on channel 411. I had to redo the list from scratch and I may have made a mistake with that one. Can a Dish customer confirm Prime Ticket in HD?

Game only.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...