Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV & Dish Network HD Channel Lineup Comparison

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
352 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:29 PM

Is ESPN Full Court in HD only on Dish Network or on both providers? I want to confirm this before updating the list again.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

Great work!

If I was looking at both providers, it would be simpler to compare if there was one section for the RSNs, with some indication of full time, part time, or missing. Of course that would add more text, or require another color, so that also complicates the chart.

The way that it is now has all the information, you just have to make sure you read it all. (Which, if someone is really comparing the providers, they should be doing anyway.)

Again, great job!

Hmm...I have an idea for that. I'll work on it and see how it looks.
DTV = Digital Television

#23 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:35 PM

Same thing happens for me. Could be some blocking of images or something by my company. I see it on my phone but not my PC.

Confirmed what the issue is. I viewed page info and noticed the image URL of http://img832.images...shnetwork14.jpg. Pasted that in my browser and got an access denied message.

Apparently that site is is blocked by my corporate IT department.

#24 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

Also, I'd REALLY recommend making that JPG a GIF. I made it a 32 color GIF and it's 195K instead of 1.5 MB.

That made a huge difference. Thanks again.
DTV = Digital Television

#25 OFFLINE   Altales Teriadem

Altales Teriadem

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

You should make a distinction between part-time and full-time carriage for channels other than RSNs—for instance, Fox Soccer Plus HD is a full-time channel which DirecTV only carries part-time, while ESPN 3D and NFL RedZone are part-time channels on any carrier. Using a different color for part-time carriage would also allow you to have just one list of RSNs.

#26 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

You should make a distinction between part-time and full-time carriage for channels other than RSNs—for instance, Fox Soccer Plus HD is a full-time channel which DirecTV only carries part-time, while ESPN 3D and NFL RedZone are part-time channels on any carrier. Using a different color for part-time carriage would also allow you to have just one list of RSNs.

Yes, I am thinking of doing something like that. Those changes will likely come tomorrow.Thank you.
DTV = Digital Television

#27 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:44 PM

Is ESPN Full Court in HD only on Dish Network or on both providers? I want to confirm this before updating the list again.

Honestly, no idea. D* doesn't mention it on their Full Court site.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#28 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

That's a nice chart. Should "HD" be in the thread title, because the chart seems to be exclusive to HD. I'm on Dish for the internationals and I'd like to see how Dish stacks up against DirecTV and Verizon.

#29 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,557 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

Using a different color for part-time carriage would also allow you to have just one list of RSNs.

This gets dicey when some of the cinema channels go off temporarily for events. I question whether something that gets taken down for events should be considered part time.

Then again, if they're playing the same thing on more than one channel (I'm thinking primarily Cinema HD, but this may include sports alternate channels), should they all count?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#30 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

I would suggest instead of showing RED blocks on the DirecTV side for the part-time RSNs section where D* provides that RSN full-time that you use a different color and put a note in the squares like "Full Time". Otherwise someone just skimming might get the wrong idea.

I know this is DBSTalk, but I must say I miss not having the other providers in the list as well, because when my D* contract ends, I'll be considering the entire universe of options open to me in making a decision on what to do going forward.

But good work.

And credit/link whats-his-name anyway, even if you do it in a left-handed fashion like ". . . and I did this list because I found his original to be unsatisfactory for reasons A, B, C. . . "

#31 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,557 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

I'm on Dish for the internationals and I'd like to see how Dish stacks up against DirecTV and Verizon.

You're on your own on that front. I'm not convinced that Verizon even has a horse in that race.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#32 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

The other thing that occurred to me to do is to split the "Standard HD" into "Standard HD (Sports)" and "Standard HD (non-sports)". The first of those would include the dedicated sports channels like the ESPNs, Versus, Golf HD, etc.

The reason for doing so is you'd then be able to have a subtotal for sports in total (including that and the RSNs and sports premiums).

My theory is that people tend to relate to their programming needs in at least 3 catagories --sports, non-sports, and premiums-- and those catagories impact their decision making.

You could probably make an argument for subsetting movies the same way, so you could have a subtotal for Standard movie channels (AMC, TCM, whatever) plus premiums. so that the first catagory becomes "Standard HD (non-sports general)", "Standard HD (movies)" and "Standard HD (sports)".

Instead of breaking non-sports general and movies out of their blocks in the detail list, you could use different colors than green (or different shades of green) for them if the provider has it and leave them in their current blocks.

Just a suggestion. . . .

#33 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

The other thing that occurred to me to do is to split the "Standard HD" into "Standard HD (Sports)" and "Standard HD (non-sports)". The first of those would include the dedicated sports channels like the ESPNs, Versus, Golf HD, etc.

The reason for doing so is you'd then be able to have a subtotal for sports in total (including that and the RSNs and sports premiums).

My theory is that people tend to relate to their programming needs in at least 3 catagories --sports, non-sports, and premiums-- and those catagories impact their decision making.

You could probably make an argument for subsetting movies the same way, so you could have a subtotal for Standard movie channels (AMC, TCM, whatever) plus premiums. so that the first catagory becomes "Standard HD (non-sports general)", "Standard HD (movies)" and "Standard HD (sports)".

Instead of breaking non-sports general and movies out of their blocks in the detail list, you could use different colors than green (or different shades of green) for them if the provider has it and leave them in their current blocks.

Just a suggestion. . . .

While the sports/non-sports may make sense, tyring to identify "movie" channels vs non-movie channels may get tough. So many channels now days (even those that started out as movie channels) show a variety of programming. You run into too many different opinions of what is a movie channel and what isn't.

The detail is there, so people can count the channels however they want. The counts may give a general idea to people, but the detail is the important part. (It doesn't matter how much HD a provider has, if the channels you watch aren't in HD.)
DogLover

My Setup

#34 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

Regarding the "RSNs are useless" vs "RSN's aren't useless" debate, it occurred to me it might be worthwhile for somebody to canvass those RSNs for their unique locally produced content that is not blacked out, to make that case more objectively.

Here's my contribution (FSN North): http://www.gopherspo...&ATCLID=3731527

FSN North also does a limited schedule of high school hockey.

And before you sun-belters sneer at hockey in general, if you're a "Minnesotan in exile" this kind of thing could be very compelling to you.

#35 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

Hoosier, I like how responsive you are to our suggestions.

Here's more: In the body of each table, please use another color than green for the background behind the current HD channel names. It would be less confusing. And I think a key, or legend, is needed to remind the reader that green means Yes and red means No.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#36 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 582 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

Honestly, no idea. D* doesn't mention it on their Full Court site.

wow ...I don't know about this one ... D* full court Channels are SD only ..however if the game is in HD on the RSN it comes through there in HD (Although I also sub to the Sports pack so it may just be me) anyways ... is this just Dish not having Full time HD RSNs so they put the games that we can get in HD on the Fulltime RSNs in "fullcourt" even though we at D* get the same (or more I guess if the game is on YES or any RSN that Dish doesn't get) games in HD ...

seems like it shouldn't be counted for Dish to me but I really don't like giving D* credit for it either ... this is different than the Game Plan scenario where many games are not on RSNs (ABC alt games) but are NOT shown in HD in the Game Plan channels

#37 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

Hoosier, I like how responsive you are to our suggestions.

Here's more: In the body of each table, please use another color than green for the background behind the current HD channel names. It would be less confusing. And I think a key, or legend, is needed to remind the reader that green means Yes and red means No.

I have a key in the master document now. I just haven't finished it in order to upload it yet. What color would folks recommend behind the text of the channel names?
DTV = Digital Television

#38 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:54 PM

wow ...I don't know about this one ... D* full court Channels are SD only ..however if the game is in HD on the RSN it comes through there in HD (Although I also sub to the Sports pack so it may just be me) anyways ... is this just Dish not having Full time HD RSNs so they put the games that we can get in HD on the Fulltime RSNs in "fullcourt" even though we at D* get the same (or more I guess if the game is on YES or any RSN that Dish doesn't get) games in HD ...

seems like it shouldn't be counted for Dish to me but I really don't like giving D* credit for it either ... this is different than the Game Plan scenario where many games are not on RSNs (ABC alt games) but are NOT shown in HD in the Game Plan channels

I agree...I don't know either. We need more feedback from both DirecTV and Dish Subs. I am not familiar enough with Full Court.
DTV = Digital Television

#39 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

What color would folks recommend behind the text of the channel names?

Well, now, since you asked, I have to start thinking about it for the first time... ;)

1. I guess it should be a light, or even a pastel color, with a brightness similar to the yellow that's already in use.

2. My own preference would be for a light blue; but maybe a pinkish color, or even a pale green, would make the chart appear less busy than a blue would.

Just my 2 cents' worth.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#40 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

The list has been updated. I added a third color for part-time channels, changed the background color behind the names of each channel, and combined the full-time and part-time RSN channels into one section.

When I get a moment I am going to clean up the RSN sections. They are not in any particular order...just scattered about as I tried to make sure I had them all. They will be alphabetized. Also, some FSN channels are listed as "FS" while others are listed as "FSN" and I will fix those inconsistencies.
DTV = Digital Television

spam firewall