Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV & Dish Network HD Channel Lineup Comparison

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
352 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,986 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:11 AM

Not sure what the point is to debate "one" HD count for a provider. Each individual household usually has their own interpretation of each category of HD, so best to just list the totals for each category with the proper description.

Personally, IMHO, the Cinema HD slots are very important, and provide DirecTV with national 24x7 bandwidth that is very creatively utilized, and provides competitive advantage that should be documented and highlighted.

Most days it provides Cinema Movies, most nights/weekends it provides HD sports, during the NFL season it provides every NFL game in HD, and during events (Golf, Tennis, Election, ...) it provides multiple HD channels of special coverage in HD.

Again, IMHO, the Cinema HD bandwidth is a major advantage and certainly well utilized. Folks can decide that they don't care about any of the above, just as they can also decide that they're not interested in any other HD channel, but it's still all available 24x7 to every customer (in the appropriate package).

Different strokes for different folks. :)
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:19 AM

Not sure what the point is to debate "one" HD count for a provider. Each individual household usually has their own interpretation of each category of HD, so best to just list the totals for each category with the proper description.

Personally, IMHO, the Cinema HD slots are very important, and provide DirecTV with national 24x7 bandwidth that is very creatively utilized, and provides competitive advantage that should be documented and highlighted.

Most days it provides Cinema Movies, most nights/weekends it provides HD sports, during the NFL season it provides every NFL game in HD, and during events (Golf, Tennis, Election, ...) it provides multiple HD channels of special coverage in HD.

Again, IMHO, the Cinema HD bandwidth is a major advantage and certainly well utilized. Folks can decide that they don't care about any of the above, just as they can also decide that they're not interested in any other HD channel, but it's still all available 24x7 to every customer (in the appropriate package).

Different strokes for different folks. :)

Thank you for your feedback on the topic. Very much appreciated.
DTV = Digital Television

#123 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:20 AM

What I would like to hear (and I know James has tried to explain this and perhaps he can again) is how Dish Network uses their Cinema HD compared to how DirecTV does. If only for my own curiosity because I am a bit fuzzy on that. My Dish Network experience is long behind me now and I don't remember much about that aspect.
DTV = Digital Television

#124 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:31 AM

Does Dish Network have carriage deals for 26 part-time RSN's and 10 alternate RSN's? Are they live when possible and/or necessary? If so, they count. That's not inflation...that's just accurately counting what is offered. There's no need to make this more complicated than it needs to be.

Having a deal to carry some of a channel's content some of the time is not a deal to carry the channel itself. Otherwise you need to add AMC HD to DirecTV's carriage list ... since they carry some of AMC's content on channel 101.

DISH does not even come close to carrying every HD game on the HD sports channels it claims to carry. When questioned about the missing games DISH's reply is that the games are not available in HD. Since the games in question are airing in HD on DirecTV and other providers one of two conclusions can be drawn: 1) DISH has chosen not to air those games or 2) DISH does not have permission to air those games. In either case, giving DISH full credit for DELIVERING content that they can not and are not delivering is being too generous.

It is probably best not to provide a definitive number to compare the two systems because of the intense debate over PPVs and RSNs ... but if you are going to pull anything from the count pull part-time RSNs - not PPVs. A count including part-time RSNs and no PPVs would be less accurate than one with only full time channels (including PPVs).

#125 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:37 AM

Having a deal to carry some of a channel's content some of the time is not a deal to carry the channel itself. Otherwise you need to add AMC HD to DirecTV's carriage list ... since they carry some of AMC's content on channel 101.

DISH does not even come close to carrying every HD game on the HD sports channels it claims to carry. When questioned about the missing games DISH's reply is that the games are not available in HD. Since the games in question are airing in HD on DirecTV and other providers one of two conclusions can be drawn: 1) DISH has chosen not to air those games or 2) DISH does not have permission to air those games. In either case, giving DISH full credit for DELIVERING content that they can not and are not delivering is being too generous.

It is probably best not to provide a definitive number to compare the two systems because of the intense debate over PPVs and RSNs ... but if you are going to pull anything from the count pull part-time RSNs - not PPVs. A count including part-time RSNs and no PPVs would be less accurate than one with only full time channels (including PPVs).

You cannot compare a deal to carry very limited content on the 101 to a deal to carry the actual channel.
DTV = Digital Television

#126 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,716 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:40 AM

Exactly.

Any channel count debate is nothing more than a regurgitation of the marketing spin.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#127 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:45 AM

What I would like to hear (and I know James has tried to explain this and perhaps he can again) is how Dish Network uses their Cinema HD compared to how DirecTV does. If only for my own curiosity because I am a bit fuzzy on that. My Dish Network experience is long behind me now and I don't remember much about that aspect.

DISH Network has 21 channels running HD movies - Channels 502-522 - One channel per movie with all day pricing. Movies repeat at the nearest half hour after each airing. These channels are not taken down or used for any other purpose.

DirecTV has 37 similar channels - Channels 125-161 - although some movies are shown on multiple channels and PPV channels are taken down as needed for use as part-time sports channels or HD mix channels.

#128 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:50 AM

You cannot compare a deal to carry very limited content on the 101 to a deal to carry the actual channel.

That is the point when you want to count DISH's part time RSNs. Does counting very limited content shown on shared bandwidth make any more sense just because it is sports?

Full-time RSNs? Great ... count them. They are in Premier on DirecTV and despite blackouts are available to someone somewhere. DISH's RSNs? Not so much.

#129 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:52 AM

Any channel count debate is nothing more than a regurgitation of the marketing spin.

We try to be more rational than that. :)

#130 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:02 AM

Right ... and that's why I keep PPVs in the count (when I count). But since these channels are the ones used for part-time RSNs I see no reason to count them twice in a "grand total".

#131 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,716 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

We try to be more rational than that. :)

We meaning a few folks, of course.... :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#132 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:53 AM

I would like a Printable list.

#133 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,805 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:27 AM

I would like a Printable list.

Anything that is printed is likely outdated. ;)

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#134 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:55 AM

Anything that is printed is likely outdated. ;)

Printable != printed. Printable can be updated as needed and printed at will.
damondlt expressed a preference for a format that might better fit a printed page.

#135 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,805 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

damondlt expressed a preference for a format that might better fit a printed page.

Given the substantial number of qualifications, caveats, footnotes and the dynamic nature of the data itself, maintaining a "printable" version is no small feat.

Lots of people have ideas but too many seem to want them applied by someone else.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#136 OFFLINE   Syzygy

Syzygy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:36 PM

A dynamically changing chart like this Channel Lineup Comparison is something I wouldn't want to print.
Frank TiVangelist since Aug 1999, HD since Dec 2002, DirecTV since Aug 2004, DECA/MRV since Nov 2010
HR24-100 > HDMI > Pio 5020FD plasma
HR24-100 > HDMI > Sony KV30HS420 tube

DirecTV & Dish HD Channel Spreadsheet
DirecTV & Dish HD Channels Listed by Package

#137 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

Lots of people have ideas but too many seem to want them applied by someone else.

The alternative is to have everyone make their own lists instead of accepting the work of others. We seem to be doing that for counting just not for presentation.

A dynamically changing chart like this Channel Lineup Comparison is something I wouldn't want to print.

Nor I ... but I wouldn't rule out printing. It is hard to present the data to off-line folks when it is six or nine printed pages. (Also for page design it is easier to read on screen when one can see more of the list on screen.)

As for the dynamics ... when was the last change? While there is a potential of the list changing every day (or every Wednesday) it really doesn't change that often.

#138 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

AVS has their monthly updated thread chart out.

Are you gonna put the link to this chart in that thread like last month or was that a 1 time only deal ?

edit:
guess it was a 1 time only deal.

Edited by dcowboy7, 22 September 2010 - 04:18 PM.

#139 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:25 AM

Printable != printed. Printable can be updated as needed and printed at will.

Yes, I want to be able to print it.
If it Updates I'll print it again. Unless Harsh has a problem with that?:confused:

Is there a way I could Print this out?

#140 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:28 AM

The alternative is to have everyone make their own lists instead of accepting the work of others. We seem to be doing that for counting just not for presentation.

Nor I ... but I wouldn't rule out printing. It is hard to present the data to off-line folks when it is six or nine printed pages. (Also for page design it is easier to read on screen when one can see more of the list on screen.)

Exactly, its hard to do a proper compairison when you can't look at all the pages as a whole. Scrolling down isn't a good way to get a proper view. Its fine for a quick reference, But not as in a proper research value.

If you don't have one fine, I just thought I'd ask.

So AVS has one?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...