Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV & Dish Network HD Channel Lineup Comparison

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
352 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:55 PM

The list has been updated. Added MegaTV HD for DirecTV. Added Sony HD for Dish (I'll wait for DirecTV until we hear something official). Altered the status of those channels involved in disputes.

E* is in a "temporary contract dispute" for NFLST? Uh no, D* has the exclusive contract until at least 2014. Nascar Hot Pass is exclusive to D* too, I'm not sure when the contract expires. and E* hasn't carried MLBEI since 2006, pretty long dispute to be considered "temporary".

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:57 PM

E* is in a "temporary contract dispute" for NFLST? Uh no, D* has the exclusive contract until at least 2014. Nascar Hot Pass is exclusive to D* too, I'm not sure when the contract expires. and E* hasn't carried MLBEI since 2006, pretty long dispute to be considered "temporary".

Hmm...something went wrong there. Thanks. I hadn't noticed it. I'll fix it right now.
DTV = Digital Television

#163 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:03 PM

Fixed. Thank you to Coca Cola Kid for pointing that out.
DTV = Digital Television

#164 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:32 AM

Just a reminder for as many people as possible to place a link to this thread in their signature. It will help increase participation and direct new members here so they can use it as a resource.
DTV = Digital Television

#165 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:20 PM

Updated with today's new HD on DirecTV (162-165 PPV HD).

[See updated attachment in next post.]

Edited by James Long, 18 October 2010 - 06:57 AM.

#166 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:56 AM

Updated with Sony Movie Channel making it's appearance on DirecTV.
[See updated PDF version in new post.]

Edited by James Long, 29 October 2010 - 04:23 PM.
Updated attachment in new post

#167 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:02 PM

I will update the chart tonight to add the five additional DirecTV HD channels. (4 Cinema and 1 Sony Movie Channel)
DTV = Digital Television

#168 OFFLINE   BigRedFan

BigRedFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

Hi Hoosier... great job on the Chart !....

Am I reading it correctly in Post # 1 that 2 HD networks are still missing ?

1. Univision-HD (carried by both DTV and DISH)
2. TeleFutura West-HD (carried by both DTV and DISH)

I had mentioned this earlier and you had said it was going to be corrected... Is there an "updated" version to Post # 1 that shows the correction ?...

Either way, amazing work... very happy to see a much more complete and truthful analysis than the Chart in AV Science Forum (with all its arbitrary exclusions of hybrid national networks, RSN's, etc.) ....

Cheers !

#169 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:13 AM

So...the list didn't get updated last night. ALCS+Beer=me not getting to it. I'll take care of it tonight however.
DTV = Digital Television

#170 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:25 PM

Hi Hoosier... great job on the Chart !....

Am I reading it correctly in Post # 1 that 2 HD networks are still missing ?

1. Univision-HD (carried by both DTV and DISH)
2. TeleFutura West-HD (carried by both DTV and DISH)

I had mentioned this earlier and you had said it was going to be corrected... Is there an "updated" version to Post # 1 that shows the correction ?...

Either way, amazing work... very happy to see a much more complete and truthful analysis than the Chart in AV Science Forum (with all its arbitrary exclusions of hybrid national networks, RSN's, etc.) ....

Cheers !

Thanks. I missed them. I've updated the list and I am about to upload it.
DTV = Digital Television

#171 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

Just a note to anyone who may be new to this thread: The channels involved in the Dish/Fox dispute are not currently being counted. Their place in the count will be restored in the count as soon as an agreement has been reached. Please don't take offense...we just don't know how long they are going to be gone so it was easier to remove them from the the count temporarily (hopefully).
DTV = Digital Television

#172 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:33 AM

Just a note to anyone who may be new to this thread: The channels involved in the Dish/Fox dispute are not currently being counted. Their place in the count will be restored in the count as soon as an agreement has been reached. Please don't take offense...we just don't know how long they are going to be gone so it was easier to remove them from the the count temporarily (hopefully).

Just a clarification ... "we" is royal in this use. While the occasional question has been asked as to what counts and what doesn't count the decision of what is on that chart and how they are counted rest with the author of the chart.

No count (including mine) should be considered the official count of DBSTalk.

#173 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:24 AM

Just a clarification ... "we" is royal in this use. While the occasional question has been asked as to what counts and what doesn't count the decision of what is on that chart and how they are counted rest with the author of the chart.

No count (including mine) should be considered the official count of DBSTalk.

I suspect that never entered the minds of most folks.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#174 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:13 AM

The word, "we" was only used once in my post:

Please don't take offense...we just don't know how long they are going to be gone so it was easier to remove them from the the count temporarily (hopefully).

That is an accurate statement. We don't know how long those channels will be gone. We...as in anyone who does not have direct knowledge of any progress being made in the negotiations between Dish Network and Fox. "We" was not used in a way which in implies that I speak on behalf of anyone else. Obviously, I do not. I thought that was pretty clear, but sorry for the confusion.
DTV = Digital Television

#175 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

As long as it is clear on who's count it is. The inference in the sentence was that "we" removed them from the count. "... so it was easier for me to remove them from the the count temporarily (hopefully)" would be a clearer statement. Otherwise the "we" carries over.

#176 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:39 AM

As long as it is clear on who's count it is. The inference in the sentence was that "we" removed them from the count. "... so it was easier for me to remove them from the the count temporarily (hopefully)" would be a clearer statement. Otherwise the "we" carries over.

Yes, the count is mine and is part of a collaborative effort among those involved in this thread. I think we are all clear on that now.
DTV = Digital Television

#177 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

Updated due to the Dish Network - Fox Broadcasting dispute resolution.
DTV = Digital Television

#178 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:20 PM

PDF version updated to remove the clutter of Fox channels marked unavailable and add the channel number for ShortsHD 568 (apparently coming in November to DirecTV).

[Updated for November 1st below.]

Edited by James Long, 01 November 2010 - 12:04 PM.
Updated attachment in new post

#179 OFFLINE   CoolGui

CoolGui

Icon

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:57 PM

Some corrections:

Dish network has Direct Kick, some games are HD I believe, but I have no way to compare to DirecTV:
http://www.dishnetwo...er/default.aspx

Dish has Showtime Beyond, TMC Xtra, and Sundance Channel in HD:
http://www.dishnetwo...ms/default.aspx

Retroplex and Indieplex really should be up in the same category as ShortsHD is, as they both come with ultimate HD. Also Encore HD is available on the Top 250, it's not always a premium... anyway that's probably not a huge deal.

Supposedly dish has Hustler HD too, but I don't see anyway to confirm that...

Also I feel like the regional sports and alt. regional sports are misleading. Dish carries the games part time like DirecTV, they just don't have a fixed channel number. This inflates the DirecTV number and diminishes the Dish number. Honestly I would rather have a fixed number, but that's a niggling complaint, not sure it belongs here. For example you have FSHouston red, but I get nearly all the FSHouston games in HD.

I have to admit I was using the dish website for some of these because I don't have the premiums anymore, errors on their website certainly are not unheard of...

DirecTV - Slimline-3S (SWM) - Premiere + HD + MRV + HD Extra
Living Room : HR24/200 - Panasonic TH-50PX60U 50" Plasma - Onkyo TX-SR606B Audio Receiver - PS3 80GB - Wii - Slingbox Classic
Bed Room : H24/200 - LG 32LD450 32" LCD - Xbox 360S 250GB

#180 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,900 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

Also I feel like the regional sports and alt. regional sports are misleading. Dish carries the games part time like DirecTV, they just don't have a fixed channel number. This inflates the DirecTV number and diminishes the Dish number. Honestly I would rather have a fixed number, but that's a niggling complaint, not sure it belongs here. For example you have FSHouston red, but I get nearly all the FSHouston games in HD.

No, they aren't alike. FSSW is in HD 24/7 on DirecTV & every game that's in HD will be HD, whereas with Dish you might get the game in HD if there's space.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

spam firewall