Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Instant replay in little league.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:31 PM

Just saw a batter get hit be the ball and the umpire call it a foul tip. It was overturn by instant replay in only 50 seconds from the time he was hit. In the major they would have been arguing for two or three minute and the manager would have been thrown out.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

Yea, thats one of the major reasons I am not subscribing to Extra Innings next year. The majors are just a bunch of drugged up, overpaid babies. This LLWS has been a real refreshing look at what baseball is supposed to be.

BTW, if the Texas manager had appealed, the kid would have been called out. He never attempted to get out of the way of the pitch. Texas missed two appeals that would have gone their way in two days. They won, so it all worked out. That was one hell of a throw from Center field to third base. I couldnt throw a ball that far and hit the mark.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:22 PM

Just saw a batter get hit be the ball and the umpire call it a foul tip.

I think you mean foul ball. There can never be a foul tip if the ball hits the batter.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#4 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

This LLWS has been a real refreshing look at what baseball is supposed to be.

Little League has lost its soul with the introduction of replay as they have done.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#5 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:42 PM

I think you mean foul ball. There can never be a foul tip if the ball hits the batter.

You are right the ball did hit the batter but the umpire did call it a foul ball.

#6 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

That's completely different from a foul tip, which is what you had said it was.

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

But that doesn't mean the ump can't call it a foul tip. Obviously, he didn't think it hit the batter.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

My bad. It would have been a foul tip if the catcher had hung on to the ball. Any way the play was overturn in 50 seconds from the time the batter was hit.

#9 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:37 PM

But that doesn't mean the ump can't call it a foul tip.

Yes it does. If he thinks it did hit the batter, it cannot be a foul tip. If he doesn't think it hit the batter, he can call it a foul tip.

#10 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

But that doesn't mean the ump can't call it a foul tip. Obviously, he didn't think it hit the batter.

Yes it does. If he thinks it did hit the batter, it cannot be a foul tip. If he doesn't think it hit the batter, he can call it a foul tip.

First you say it does mean the up can't call it (Yes it does), and then you say that he can (if he doesn't think it hit the batter, he can call it a foul tip).

So, which is it?

Of course it can't be a foul tip if the ump knows it hit the batter, that's not even part of the equation. Guess what? He can't call it a home run if it hits the batter either.

The discussion was about a WRONG call that an umpire made. The ball hit the batter and the ump called it a foul tip (because he didn't know it hit the batter). You came in and said that's impossible (for the ump to make the call he did). No, it's not impossible. Umps make wrong calls all the time.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#11 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:50 AM

Little League has lost its soul with the introduction of replay as they have done.

Spoken as a true umpire, which you are, who never think they're wrong.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#12 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:02 AM

Spoken like a true fan, who are presumptuous and unknowledgeable.I am a veteran umpire who will never believe he's "never wrong." We're human. One need not be an umpire to realize Little League has lost its soul, and not just because of the introduction of instant replay, which is a travesty at that level especially.

#13 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:12 AM

Spoken like a true fan, who are presumptuous and unknowledgeable.I am a veteran umpire who will never believe he's "never wrong." We're human. One need not be an umpire to realize Little League has lost its soul, and not just because of the introduction of instant replay, which is a travesty at that level especially.

Why else has it lost it's soul?

I realize there are those lunatic parents who ruin the fun. Also, there are the cases of using older players. These may be contributors, but how is instant replay at a world championship tournament a travesty?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#14 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

Soon or later Major League Baseball will have to go instant replay. Imagine in twenty or thirty years watching a game in an twenty foot ultra hd tv and not having instant replay. The collage kids would have a beer drinking game base on every time the umpire blew the call.

Edited by yosoyellobo, 27 August 2010 - 11:13 AM.
added word.

#15 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

Why else has it lost it's soul?

I realize there are those lunatic parents who ruin the fun. Also, there are the cases of using older players. These may be contributors, but how is instant replay at a world championship tournament a travesty?

One excellent article on this.

#16 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:41 AM

One excellent article on this.

From the author:

I'm against replay, in any form or sport.

So, officials are always right no matter what & fans must accept blatant missed calls? Yeah, that's fair. :rolleyes:
If the technology is there, then use it. Humans make mistakes & should not affect outcomes of games. Look at last years Big 12 title game...the officials damn near blew the end of the game affecting who goes to the national title game.
It seems two groups oppose instant replay...Officials & "Purists."

#17 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

So, officials are always right no matter what

Do not infer that which I never implied. Whether officials are right or wrong in baseball, instant replay has absolutely NO place in Little League Baseball.

#18 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,849 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

Do not infer that which I never implied.

I was responding to the author and his "article."

Whether officials are right or wrong in baseball, instant replay has absolutely NO place in Little League Baseball.

In your opinion. I tried engaging you in a discussion about this, but you just keep stating opinions with no reason.

#19 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:10 PM

The author makes a very good case for no replay in Little League. A very limited use in MLB is one thing, especially since it's used across the entire league, but in Little League, its use is unnecessary and creates a disadvantage. Furthermore, it doesn't help the kids as they grow up.

#20 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:22 PM

in Little League, its use is unnecessary and creates a disadvantage. Furthermore, it doesn't help the kids as they grow up.

Disadvantage how? A 45 second break in the game flow?

And what lesson does getting a play call correct have anything to do with helping the kids as they grow up? What are we supposed to teach them? Should we have the coaches do like the big leagues and go out on the field and kick dirt on the umpire and get thrown out of the game for poor sportsmanship? Even if you know the runner was safe but the umpire called him out, dont say anything and maybe no one will ever know? Guess all those Wall st guys were old school little leaguers.

FWIW, they asked all the volunteer umpires, who I believe go through at least 10 yrs of training to get to umpire the LLWS, and they did *not* have any problem with the use of instant replay. If its ok with the umpires, and instituted fairly, I dont see the problem.

If you noticed, several replays were left as inconclusive. There were some blatant (to TV viewer) miscalls, that were not even challenged. It did not appear to be overused.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

spam firewall