Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Instant replay in little league.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:36 PM

It's not overused because a team is allowed only one challenge. As far as LL umpires (I used to do that level earlier in my career), the current ones at this World Series and the preceding regionals are not that impressive, an alleged "10 years training" notwithstanding.

In MLB replay cannot be a disadvantage because it's accessible to all teams at the same time and in the same manner. It's used in a very limited capacity, when an umpire's eyes and ears cannot humanly tell if a ball hit a railing, went out in flight, etc.

In LL Baseball, it's not used universally and consistently. It also teaches the kids a poor lesson in baseball and life.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:42 PM

In LL Baseball, it's not used universally and consistently. It also teaches the kids a poor lesson in baseball and life.

OK, we know we cant have 9 HD cameras on every LL field. Give me an example of how this teaches kids a poor life lesson?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#23 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

I think the author did that rather well in his article about replay in LL Baseball.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#24 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:54 PM

I think the author did that rather well in his article about replay in LL Baseball.

I read the article, and found nothing but a major rant on freezing in his seat while refs in the NFL went under the hood.

If you are suggesting he is correct in that we should teach the entire team a life lesson that life isnt fair, by having a blown call cause them to lose a game they should have won, then I would have to disagree.

As for the tears and forgiveness stuff in MLB where the pitcher got robbed of his perfect game, well, thats the exception, not the rule. And the fact the commissioner did not reverse it, speaks volumes about him as a person.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#25 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

I do not like Selig, but the fact that he didn't reverse it was the best and only decision he could have made. To have reversed it would have made a mockery of the game itself.

For those who believe he should have reversed it, using their logic, I ask this: what if that call by Jim Joyce had been the first call of the game, after which Galarraga retired every other batter? Should Selig have reversed that? If yes, then what about the resulting mess created by the batters who followed? If no, then there is no consistency in one's claim he should have reversed it in the 9th.

#26 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:05 PM

I dont much care actually. I quit watching mid-season, and wont be resubscribing next year. Im still wanting to hear why you think replay is teaching little league kids a bad life lesson.

BTW, if the bank makes an error and takes $100 out of your account you didnt spend, do you just chalk it up to a human error, or do you request the bank to "go under the hood" and figure out where they made a mistake?

#27 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:06 PM

You're comparing apples to oranges, which doesn't surprise me.

Instant Replay in LL Baseball is far different.

#28 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:09 PM

Well, since you wont give me any examples for my questions, I dont see any point in continuing.

#29 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,331 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:10 PM

The most logical thing you've said all day.

#30 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:20 AM

LLWS officials happy with instant replay.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5509918

I really believe this is something MLB should look into.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...