Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need advice on private purchase

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   loudo2002

loudo2002

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:28 PM

I am in the market for a HR24 and found one that a guy is selling in my area. He says its new in the box, never been opened and that he wanted directv but his landlord told him he couldnt install the dish and now he is selling it for a 100 bucks.

Obviously thats a great price, but im just wondering, if he bought it from best buy or online somewhere, why doesnt he just return it?

Anyway, should i go for this thing? yea or nea

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

That doesnt sound legit to me AT ALL! Sounds like he "found" found it somewhere.. Us dealers get the HR24's at cost and that is $150.00 I would stay far away from that, thats just my two cents

#3 OFFLINE   dtremain

dtremain

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

Someone else will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that anyone can sell you an HR24 privately, since I don't think it would be theirs to sell.

Directv leases their DVR's; they do not sell them.

I think that you should contact Directv directly to lease equipment yourself or do so through an authorized vendor like Best Buy.

I don't think that Directv would authorize the unit for you, and I think it will be a $100 paperweight.

But, like I said, other members of this forum may know better and I bow to their knowledge, with all sincerity.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:45 PM

Most likely, this guy "obtained" a receiver from a tech somehow. It's probably NIB as he says, but would be a lease just like any receiver obtained via retail. If it's NIB, it won't be "owned."

#5 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:45 PM

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say it could be legit.

When buying a used receiver, you have to talk to the access card distribution team NOT A FRONT LINE CSR and check THREE things.

-The receiver must be owned
-The receiver must be disconnected
-The receiver must be tied to an account in good standing, not in collections.

It doesn't matter about pay per view and a balance pending on the card. The card gets replaced, that is what holds the charge. There is a way to reuse the card, but if you are dumb enough to hook it to a phone line or internet after using that method, you will get billed for any balance on the card. It is much less of a headache just to spend the $20 for the card.

Once you are ready to activate it with your new card, ignore the paper about the automated number, call D*, and politely but firmly insist on having the access card department activate it. Don't let a front line CSR activate it. If you follow the paper and use the automated number, it has been my experience that the automated system can't handle owned receivers and it transfers you to a front line CSR. In every case, a front line CSR, called either directly or sent from the automated system has only been able to add a receiver as leased, which messes everything up.

If there is an issue like a small past due balance or something like that where the ACDT rep tells you they can make an exception and go ahead and activate it for you, my best advice is to just walk away. In all cases, when calling to confirm it can be added to your account as owned, politely ask them to notate your account and copy/paste all the information into your notes so it is ready for when you order the card. They have been doing that automatically now lately, but it is always good to ask. It has been my experience that it is helpful to get their employee ID as well, in case there is an issue later.

If all that checks out, jump on it!
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#6 OFFLINE   loudo2002

loudo2002

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

Ive had receivers bought for me by other people in the past (xmas gifts) from best buy and havent had any problem activating them so im not too worried as long as he hasnt activated this one, im thinking it would be an ok situation.

I have no problem/know that it will be a lease with Directv if and when i can activate it under my acct.

I guess im just worried about calling directv and having them say "sorry, we cant activate this rcvr because it has been activated by someone else" or "its used" or something like that.

#7 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

I've been down this road dozens of times. Take my advice listed above and you will make out just fine. No need to be worried, if they tell you it is leased and previously activated, be happy you called and saved yourself $100.

If the idea of them telling you it is leased and not usable when you call makes you sad because you have found such a great deal, welcome to my world. :) On occasion though, they will pop up clean at a good price, and that receiver can be had at that price, so don't rule it out, but please please call first.

It has been my experience if it has never been activated that it won't show up in the system, and will be leased when activated. Confirm this with the access card dept if that is the case that it doesn't show up.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#8 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:19 AM

If it is "New" the card should be in the plastic envelope with the disclosures grab it. If card is in the receiver definitely call.

#9 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:12 AM

Shrink wrapped card or not, call either way.

Cards in the wrap can be obtained, I wouldn't put it past someone to stick a new card in with a worthless receiver to make it look kosher.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#10 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:13 PM

Stay away from it. If it's NIB it's stolen for that price. If it is stolen there are plenty of numbers that can be reported and eventually you could be in trouble for ownership of stolen property. The other $99 is not worth the hassle of dealing with this.

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:14 PM

Shrink wrapped card or not, call either way.

Cards in the wrap can be obtained, I wouldn't put it past someone to stick a new card in with a worthless receiver to make it look kosher.

Access card number in plastic wrap shoud match the card number on the sticker for the box. If it doesn't there's an issue already. Regardless everyone here knows that this isn't on the level.

#12 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:39 AM

Lets put it this way: the HR24's AND the H24's were NEVER even avail at BB or the retail outlets. DONT TOUCH OR BUY THE UNIT!!!!! Either call DTV to get a unit OR go to Solid Signal and buy you one that's LEGIT for sure!

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:24 AM

Why it's so hard to get the RID/CAID and call CSR, check if it owned and could be subbed without hassles ?!

#14 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:26 AM

Why it's so hard to get the RID/CAID and call CSR, check if it owned and could be subbed without hassles ?!

+1. An employee gets the box for his personal use and doesn't open it. He calls up, and has it activated. Calls back and has it shut off. At no point did it have to be hooked up, even opened since all the info you need is on the outside of the box. It is now an owned receiver, still new in the box. A new card to get it on your account and you have a $120 HR24. What's so hard to understand about that?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#15 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:19 AM

Lets put it this way: the HR24's AND the H24's were NEVER even avail at BB or the retail outlets. DONT TOUCH OR BUY THE UNIT!!!!! Either call DTV to get a unit OR go to Solid Signal and buy you one that's LEGIT for sure!

1. You can acquire an H24 or HR24 from an on-line retailer, so they very much ARE available in the retail world. However, those will be leased units when activated on your account.

2. There are owned HR24's out there (I have one). It is very much possible to find a legitimately owned HR24, but as others have cautioned do get the RID and verify the unit with DirecTV.

#16 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:21 PM

When I was referring to retail, I was talking about stores such as BB and Costco etc. Notice I mentioned at the end of the line you could go to Solid Signal.

#17 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:32 PM

Notice I mentioned at the end of the line you could go to Solid Signal.

Sorry, I missed that first time around.

I believe there are several reasons why DirecTV has taken the physical boxes out of the major retail chains such as Best Buy. First, the issue and confusion with regard to the units being leased. Second, all too many people who had SD service would walk in, buy an HD receiver or DVR, take it home and discover they were not getting HD (not realizing they also needed a new dish). Third, it was too easy for a non/new customer to buy a box, walk out the door, and not have anything in place to get the rest of what they need (installation) to make it work. The sales representatives at any of those stores simply did not know enough about the product to be of any value at all in this process.

The easiest way to overcome these issues was to simply not have the physical box available. I'm pretty sure you can go to Best Buy or Costco and order service or a service upgrade to HD, you just can't walk out the door with the hardware in hand.

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

You are posting in consumer forum, not in the corporation's office. The argumentation is not balanced but pose a favor of the provider.
It would be more honest if there was pro/contra from both sides.

Sorry, I missed that first time around.

I believe there are several reasons why DirecTV has taken the physical boxes out of the major retail chains such as Best Buy. First, the issue and confusion with regard to the units being leased. Second, all too many people who had SD service would walk in, buy an HD receiver or DVR, take it home and discover they were not getting HD (not realizing they also needed a new dish). Third, it was too easy for a non/new customer to buy a box, walk out the door, and not have anything in place to get the rest of what they need (installation) to make it work. The sales representatives at any of those stores simply did not know enough about the product to be of any value at all in this process.

The easiest way to overcome these issues was to simply not have the physical box available. I'm pretty sure you can go to Best Buy or Costco and order service or a service upgrade to HD, you just can't walk out the door with the hardware in hand.

#19 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:58 PM

You are posting in consumer forum, not in the corporation's office. The argumentation is not balanced but pose a favor of the provider.
It would be more honest if there was pro/contra from both sides.

I was not trying to present any "argumentation" for or against anything. I was simply trying to offer suggestions as to why DirecTV made the decisions they have made. But those are speculation on my part, as I do not, never have, and never expect to, work for DirecTV. I am neither pro nor con with regard to how they choose to make their equipment available.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...