Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Should Directv give you 2 boxes with no mirroring or rent fees?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,143 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

You must be the ONLY one being charged $5.99 - EVERYONE else is charged $5... :confused: :confused:

Was just going from memory without actually looking at the bill. I thought I had recalled the changed the mirroring fee a year or so back but am probably wrong.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Mark_M

Mark_M

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

I like to save money as much as the next person, but I'd say the $5 fee per box is fairly reasonable when compared to some other service providers.

I recently checked prices with my local cable company. No up front cost for up to two HD digital boxes, but the second box had a $17/month lease fee and they also charged a $10 HD access fee.
Mark
HR20-700
HR20-100
HR24-100
Toshiba 42H81
D* customer since 1996

#23 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:14 PM

Perhaps removing it could draw enough additional customers to offset the revenue loss, but I doubt it. "Free Lease/Mirroring Fee for life" just isn't a sexy come on like "Free HD for life".:lol:

And DISH Network didn't introduce it first... ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#24 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:22 PM

Time-Warner charges $7.95 per month per box in my area (Milwaukee/SE Wisconsin) for EVERY box (even the first one). But there is no hassle like sending the old one back or spending $20 S & H when a leased box dies. They send a technician out for free to solve any problem (no "Protection Plan") And, of course, no commitment requirement.

BUT with the reliability of present receiving equipment you quickly spend a lot more than with DirecTV with their elevated programming package charges, franchise fee (5% in my area) and other little surcharges-like a monthly fee for the remote control!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#25 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

D* used to do that (no mirroring fees) for Primestar converts... I had it until my MPEG4 conversion..

#26 OFFLINE   TwoPhases

TwoPhases

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

OP: "Should Directv give you 2 boxes with no mirroring or rent fees?"

Me: They should allow account stacking as well.

#27 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:55 PM

TANSTAAFL

#28 OFFLINE   nevea2be

nevea2be

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:13 AM

Comcast charges 14.95 per HD box, 7.95 per non-HD box and 7.97 for HD. So for me 5 bucks to lease a box is a bargain.

#29 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 160 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:24 AM

A great idea but they'd have to make up the revenue elsewhere.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#30 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

A great idea but they'd have to make up the revenue elsewhere.

Price Increase!!!!!!!:nono2:

#31 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:09 AM

Price Increase!!!!!!!:nono2:

there will be a price increase anyway coming, the annual tradition of most companies - or in the case of my water company a exvery 14 week tradition.

This would just tack a large increase on to make up for the 5.00 loss of funds

#32 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:36 AM

The lease/mirror fees are silly. How can there be any cost to electronically 'link' multiple receiver to the same account?

I'm already paying to keep a landline just for these boxes to dial out (only one is convenient to wired Ethernet), so they really ought to be a loss leader and drop the mirror fee.

I know there's lot of people who might chime in and say "I don't have a landline and have never had any problems" but my bedroom receivers have been cut off several times in 12 years for not having phone lines plugged up. To me that's a much bigger "hidden cost" to having multiple DirecTV receivers than the lease fees. In my old house, that meant stringing cable across the floor and calling DirecTV to force a dial out before they would reactivate them. In this house, they are all convenient to phone jacks so that is not an issue. But I don't watch PPV or order sports, so I don't know why they still call out from time to time. :confused:

#33 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:41 AM

The lease/mirror fees are silly. How can there be any cost to electronically 'link' multiple receiver to the same account?

I'm already paying to keep a landline just for these boxes to dial out (only one is convenient to wired Ethernet), so they really ought to be a loss leader and drop the mirror fee.

I know there's lot of people who might chime in and say "I don't have a landline and have never had any problems" but my bedroom receivers have been cut off several times in 12 years for not having phone lines plugged up. To me that's a much bigger "hidden cost" to having multiple DirecTV receivers than the lease fees. In my old house, that meant stringing cable across the floor and calling DirecTV to force a dial out before they would reactivate them. In this house, they are all convenient to phone jacks so that is not an issue. But I don't watch PPV or order sports, so I don't know why they still call out from time to time. :confused:

think of the mirror fee in the cable provider mindset, directv charges you 5.00 per additional dvr/reciever cable companys charge you 7.50-12.00 per extra cable box.

#34 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:18 AM

As soon as Dish does it, Directv will.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#35 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

You're forgetting that part of that money pays for the receivers themselves (most folks have traditionally had multiple "free" basic receivers in their extra rooms) as well as for the "free" installation for those receivers. Then there are support costs: more boxes means more things to go wrong.

And, again, if the mirroring fees are cut, the company will just raise fees somewhere else. Businesses don't pay their expenses; their customers do. That's Econ 101, folks.

#36 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

I'm always looking for ways to reduce my bill, so I understand why most would agree with the OP. And it would be nice if they eliminate the mirroring fee, if they didn't offset it by raising the price of the packages. Which is probably what would happen.

I think its fair the way they bill now. If you want to have more receivers/DVR's, then you pay more. Someone with less receivers will pay less. Especially when in most cases, they give you at least one free receiver to begin with.

And if you don't want to pay for every TV, then find a way around it. For me, I use 2 DVR's to run 4 TV's. There are only 2 of us in the household, so we are never watching more then 2 different TV's. So I have 4 TV's with access to programming and only pay $5 for 1 mirroring fee.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#37 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

Heres a good one. If you have one box, and want to add another for MRV, you pay the MRV fee AND the lease fee. I think, if I have two boxes and am paying for MRV, there should be a slight discount on one or the other. Especially after I got reamed on the install fee.
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#38 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,859 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

The way I see it, even with MRV I pay several times less for the hardware than I would with cable...even less then with Dish for that matter.

I can't really complain too much because it could be worse. :grin:

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 07 September 2010 - 04:53 AM.

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#39 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:47 PM

there will be a price increase anyway coming, the annual tradition of most companies - or in the case of my water company a exvery 14 week tradition.

This would just tack a large increase on to make up for the 5.00 loss of funds

My tradition in dealing with Company's like that is you go up $5.00 i go down by the same amount.:)

#40 OFFLINE   Rakul

Rakul

Slacker

• Registered
  • 623 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:24 PM

The only problem with this idea is that folks with only one box will then be paying for two and not get the full service. Great idea on paper but I think it would fail in practice, especially with all of the folks that are already clamering for a la cart, this just further packages items together.
All on SWMLine:
HR22-100 > HDMI > Samsung 4665 LCD [Networked]
HR20-100S > HDMI > Samsung 4665 LCD [Networked]
HR20-700 > HDMI > Insignia NS-LCD26-09 LCD [Networked]
HR21-100 > HDMI > Samsung 26B360 LCD [Networked]
Full Setup

spam firewall