Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Smart Search doesn't provide recording opportunites

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:22 AM

I haven't seen any recent posts about this so I'll start a new thread.

My wife has asked me on several occasions why she can't find shows that she wants to record. Specifically she wanted to record a movie on Lifetime. This has been irking her quite a bit lately.

Example:
This past Sunday (8/22/10) She was watching TV and a preview came up for a movie and the movie was supposed to be on later (Tue?) this week "Bond of Silence". So she goes to Smart Search type in "Bond of Silence" and gets a listing and at the top is "Bond of Silence" unfortunately when she clicks on that listing the display shows "No upcoming shows".

What Gives?

We have had this problem several times, once before on Lifetime with a movie, and a couple times on TNT and FX

Also to confuse the matter even more, She tells me about this problem while I'm at work on Tuesday so I used the DirecTV phone app and set "bond of silence" to record Tuesday evening and I get the confirmation. Well Tuesday night comes and goes, and bond of silence doesn't record.

so I go and use smart search Tuesday night and get the same information - no upcoming shows. But I decide to try my luck and see if it's on again later this week ( i know lifetime can't show a movie just once )
So I go into the Guide and find the show scheduled to be on later I have no problem using the record button. now I just wait to see if it will record.

any ideas whats up? is it guide data? or smart search not working? I know the iphone app could have its own issues, but it's been frustrating lately trying to record shows with smart search.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

Bond of Silence was shown on Mon 8/23
Next show is Sat 8/28 at 9:00pm

JACK,

#3 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:50 AM

Bond of Silence was shown on Mon 8/23
Next show is Sat 8/28 at 9:00pm

Ok so I got my dates wrong, on Sunday Smart search could not find Monday's showing, And On Monday the DirecTV iphone app was scheduled to record the Monday showing but it did not record. And on Monday night (after the movie showed) Smart search could not find Saturday's showing. I had to go into the guide to Saturday to set Bond of Silence to record.

#4 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:29 AM

Ok so I got my dates wrong, on Sunday Smart search could not find Monday's showing, And On Monday the DirecTV iphone app was scheduled to record the Monday showing but it did not record. And on Monday night (after the movie showed) Smart search could not find Saturday's showing. I had to go into the guide to Saturday to set Bond of Silence to record.

That happens to me sometimes. If SS doesn't find it I check the guide.

#5 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:10 PM

[...] Example:
This past Sunday (8/22/10) She was watching TV and a preview came up for a movie and the movie was supposed to be on later (Tue?) this week "Bond of Silence". So she goes to Smart Search type in "Bond of Silence" and gets a listing and at the top is "Bond of Silence" unfortunately when she clicks on that listing the display shows "No upcoming shows" [...]

I saw something similar to this a week or so ago. A search for Sesame Street resulted in some VOD matches, but when I selected individual episodes to record, I got a "Program not found" error message, or something to that effect. So at that point in time, something was out of sync. I tried again today, and it worked as expected.

Hopefully what your wife experienced was a temporary aberration with the GUIDE data. If it repeats, tho, I'd report it in the appropriate "issues" thread for whatever release you're running on that box.
/steve

#6 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

I saw something similar to this a week or so ago. A search for Sesame Street resulted in some VOD matches, but when I selected individual episodes to record, I got a "Program not found" error message, or something to that effect. So at that point in time, something was out of sync. I tried again today, and it worked as expected.

Hopefully what your wife experienced was a temporary aberration with the GUIDE data. If it repeats, tho, I'd report it in the appropriate "issues" thread for whatever release you're running on that box.

OK thanks. I'll see how it treats us the next few weeks.

#7 OFFLINE   dmead24

dmead24

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:12 PM

My girlfriend had the exact same problem with the exact same show. I went through the guide and pressed the record button. I chalked it up to a one time problem. Hope it doesn't happen again.

#8 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:41 AM

Smart Search is a nice feature but I've run into this problem several times now. It seems to happen quite a bit for me, especially when searching by actor or keyword.

But scheduling stuff has been a mess lately anyhow, with lots of my shows not having descriptions, thus recording as new episodes when they're really not, or not being able to find channels via the mobile scheduler (which WAS finally resolved after several e-mails). Today trying to schedule shows by mobile scheduler and it's not just not finding shows, but logging me out after just one search.

#9 OFFLINE   Rico47

Rico47

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

I have hated the search feature in DTV DVR's since day one. I use my old TiVo for searches and that should not be necessary but I have not had a problem for nine years.

#10 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:25 PM

Smart Search is a nice feature but I've run into this problem several times now. It seems to happen quite a bit for me, especially when searching by actor or keyword.

But scheduling stuff has been a mess lately anyhow, with lots of my shows not having descriptions, thus recording as new episodes when they're really not [...]

I wasn't a fan of Smart Search when it was first introduced, but now that I've learned to be patient and wait a second or two for the results list to build before I key in another letter, I'm able to work with it more effectively.

What's really helped is that "Top Matches" are now being identified as such, so when they seem to appear out of order and ahead of what should be the next properly sorted alpha match, I now understand why it's happening.

And if you happen to be looking for a popular show, "Top Match" really is a time saver, IMO.

Regarding "First Run's Only" not recording, that's probably more an issue with how the networks supply the GUIDE data to Tribune Media Service than anything else. Ya, there is a D* "bug"... even with good GUIDE data, a new "FRO" Series Link will always schedule the next available showing, whether it's "first run" or not.

Aside from that, I wish DirecTV would simply use a show's First Aired Date to determine its first run/repeat status. It's been a long-standing Wish List request, so I'm not sure if DirecTV doesn't want to do it, or if their arrangements with the networks force them to respect whatever status the networks assign to a show in the data they send TMS. IOW, it's possible the networks want more shows to appear as "First Run", hoping they'll get more eyeballs and ad $$$ if they make more shows appear to be "new". All speculation on my part, tho. :)
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...