Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

SD Tailgating. Need some advice.

owned

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:36 AM

I have a fair amount of time before I need to get this working but I've decided to get a head start. I would like to buy a SD dish, a tripod or some other type of mount, a good amount of RG6 cable, and anything else you guys recommend. I will be using a leased spare D12 receiver that I have in my basement. Also, how hard is it to align a 1 LNB dish for the 101 bird? Any tips or guides are appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

Heres a decent tripod that comes with the pole.

http://www.solidsign...g Supplies&sku=

Heres a dish. Comes with a mast but you don't need.

http://www.solidsign...ku=053818480106

You'll only need a piece of coax long enough to reach from the dish to receiver. Thats it.

Once you get the setup, hook everything up to the STB/TV and go to menu -> parental, favs, setup -> System Setup -> Satellite -> Repeat Satellite Setup -> Point Dish

From here you will put in your zip code or the zip code of the place you are tailgating. It will tell you what you need to set the elevation to. These nuts are located on each side of the dish and require a 7/16'' wrench/ratchet.

Last step is to make sure the mast is plum with a bubble level. (3$ at lowes)

Hit the Satellite Signal Button on the tv.

Once all that is done you just rotate the dish till numbers start coming in. Once the numbers reach the end they don't immediately start repeating so you will need to refresh them by hitting the + on the satellite select. (You should select 18")

The numbers will start over. Rotate the dish slowly and you should get it. You might have to adjust the elevation for optimal signal but you want to get the highest signal you can left and right, lock down the back bolts, and then adjust the elevation.

Good luck!

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#3 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:47 PM

The tripod in that first link says its for a slimline dish. Which I believe is a 2 inch pole from the dish. But the 18 inch dish has a mast diameter of 1.65. Won't the dish wiggle and slide around in the tripod because of the difference? I may be wrong but I just want to make sure. Thanks for your help.

Kevin

#4 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

Oh, nevermind. My stupidity got the best of me there. I should have read the whole description of the tripod. It will fit. Sorry about that and thanks for the links.

Kevin

#5 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

Also no BBC's or band stop filters, switches, power inserters, etc will be needed in this setup? As for a reciever it will be a D12. Basically just one line from the dish to the receiver? If so that's great!

Thanks
Kevin

#6 OFFLINE   sungam

sungam

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:44 PM

That's all you need... a dish, a way to support it, a cable and a receiver.

#7 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,418 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

That's all you need... a dish, a way to support it, a cable and a receiver.

Don't forget POWER.:D

Also a TV helps;)

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#8 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:47 PM

Aiming a single LNB dish is a snap. Set the elevation on a level surface before you go to the tailgating site so you are "in the ballpark" in advance. :D

Then, be sure to bring up a signal strength menu (meter) on the receiver on a transponder that is ONLY on the 101. If you have the dish mounted on a board, all you have to do is rotate it until you get the beeping sound! Then you can peak the elevation if necessary.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#9 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:57 PM

Aiming a single LNB dish is a snap. Set the elevation on a level surface before you go to the tailgating site so you are "in the ballpark" in advance. :D

Then, be sure to bring up a signal strength menu (meter) on the receiver on a transponder that is ONLY on the 101. If you have the dish mounted on a board, all you have to do is rotate it until you get the beeping sound! Then you can peak the elevation if necessary.

By mounting it on a board do you mean nailing it on a wide piece of scrap wood from lowes?! If so, that's a great idea! How stable would that be?

Kevin

#10 OFFLINE   RonH

RonH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

For SD spend extra money and get VuCube. As I posted in HD tailgate post this won't work for DirecTv HD only SD. But it a fast slick setup.

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1218016568373

#11 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

By mounting it on a board do you mean nailing it on a wide piece of scrap wood from lowes?! If so, that's a great idea! How stable would that be?

Kevin

I would find a free old round dish on craigslist and just screw it to a 2X12 and test align it in my back yard on a level surface. Once that is aligned all you will need is a blanket for the top of your car (as long as it isn't windy) and just rotate it until you have signal, I doubt you would even need tools to adjust at the tailgate. All you need is a 7/16 wrench if you do need to make adjustments. All you need is a 70+ signal for the 101.

Tripod, signal meter, and all the other crap others are suggesting is unneeded and a waste of money that could be spent on beer

Signal meter???? The receiver will be 15 ft from the dish... Just look at the tv.

#12 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

I would find a free old round dish on craigslist and just screw it to a 2X12 and test align it in my back yard on a level surface. Once that is aligned all you will need is a blanket for the top of your car (as long as it isn't windy) and just rotate it until you have signal, I doubt you would even need tools to adjust at the tailgate. All you need is a 7/16 wrench if you do need to make adjustments. All you need is a 70+ signal for the 101.

Tripod, signal meter, and all the other crap others are suggesting is unneeded and a waste of money that could be spent on beer

Signal meter???? The receiver will be 15 ft from the dish... Just look at the tv.

No one suggested a signal meter. I suggested the signal meter on the TV ;)

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

spam firewall