Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

National Crisis.... Seriously?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

The head line at ESPN.com right now:

National Crisis

Stephen Strasburg's torn ligament devastates not only Washington, but the entire baseball world

-----------

Okay seriously...

Anyone here devastated because yet again, another young pitcher... who probably is up in the big leagues too early... trying too hard... for nothing..

Throws out his arm, and will probably not be the same again?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,245 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:17 PM

No because Im a Met fan

JACK,

#3 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:28 PM

But what was he supposed to do... deliberately throw at 90 to 95% velocity in the minors? No one does that. What good would it do him?

The guy has the strength and coordination to pitch in such a way as to put extraordinary stress on his skeleton and musculature, ergo, he is inherently a candidate for damage to be incurred in the normal course of events. While I said it was stupid of the Nationals to draft him, since they could have traded his rights for several players, they did everything imaginable to minimize early strain, yet he still got injured. My sympathies go to Strasburg, the Nationals, and their beleagured fans.

#4 OFFLINE   Game Fan

Game Fan

Baseball Is Life

• DBSTalk Club
  • 739 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:28 PM

How sad. The young man had a lot of potential. I hope he makes a full recovery and is brought along the proper way the next time.

#5 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

I read the headline as a pun...National, as in his team the Washington Nationals, Crisis.

As for the surgery, it's likely he will be the same after. I heard today that like 9 of this years All Stars had Tommy John. Also, it was said that, "three-quarters -- 75 percent or so -- of elite pitchers come back to full pitching and their full potential"
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

I read the headline as a pun...National, as in his team the Washington Nationals, Crisis.

As for the surgery, it's likely he will be the same after. I heard today that like 9 of this years All Stars had Tommy John. Also, it was said that, "three-quarters -- 75 percent or so -- of elite pitchers come back to full pitching and their full potential"

I see that now... I've been out in the sun all day.

But the part of the "entire baseball world" is devastated... just was a bit too much.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   Shaqdan

Shaqdan

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:13 PM

I don't think it's a bit too much. Anyone who is a real baseball fan knows what he could mean to the game. The fact that his debut was such a big event (as well as each of his next starts) showed that he had the potential to bring new life into the game. Hell, he was a serious All-Star contender after only 4-5 starts. The game needs new faces. Strasburg could have been (and still can be) one of those faces for years to come. His injury is a big hit to the game as a whole, so in that sense, the entire baseball world is devastated.

#8 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:20 PM

I don't think it's a bit too much. Anyone who is a real baseball fan knows what he could mean to the game. The fact that his debut was such a big event (as well as each of his next starts) showed that he had the potential to bring new life into the game. Hell, he was a serious All-Star contender after only 4-5 starts. The game needs new faces. Strasburg could have been (and still can be) one of those faces for years to come. His injury is a big hit to the game as a whole, so in that sense, the entire baseball world is devastated.

I'll turn by baseball fan card in... I mustn't be a real fan.

He is a SINGLE player, that was very a good pitcher.
There have been how many over the last 10 years, that should have been the "next" big thing, that have failed at it due to injury or just not living up to the hype.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#9 OFFLINE   SWORDFISH

SWORDFISH

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:09 AM

I'll turn by baseball fan card in... I mustn't be a real fan.

He is a SINGLE player, that was very a good pitcher.
There have been how many over the last 10 years, that should have been the "next" big thing, that have failed at it due to injury or just not living up to the hype.

I am far from devastated, but I hope he makes a comeback. Nationals fans should also be concerned about the shoulder problem he had right before he blew out the elbow. At some point he may turn into Mark Prior.

SF
HR24-200 - WD10EVDS in Antec MX-1 Enclosure
HR24-500
HR24-500
H24-100
H24-100
Directv Since 1994

#10 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:00 AM

But the part of the "entire baseball world" is devastated... just was a bit too much.

I agree with you, Earl. It's a sad injury but I wouldn't say it has devastated the baseball world. Hopefully, he'll be back in form for the 2012 season.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...