Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Owned R15

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:04 AM

I have an owned R15 that I no longer use and would like to put on My sister's account. I have called DIRECTV and confirmed it's owned and we know that she will need a new access card.

I hooked the R15 to her TV to make sure it was working before she pays the $20 for the access card and here's what happens:

The receiver powers up and right after it gets to the almost there message the screen goes blank and then the power goes off on the receiver. The only way to restart it is to pull the plug then restart it. When I do that the same thing happens.

I've tried it with the old access card in and out. I've also done it with the satellite feed connected and not connected.

The DVR worked fine when I disconnected it in May. What I want to know is:

1. Is this what suppossed to happen? I thought I would get some kind of access card error message.

2. If this is unusual behavior, could it be software related. Would it help if I reloaded the software (0-2-4-6-8)?

Thanks for the help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,400 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

Is your sister's dish setup significantly different from yours (ie legacy .vs. SWiM)?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:57 AM

(ie legacy .vs. SWiM)?

I hope he didn't have a SWiM using a R15.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#4 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:27 PM

Is your sister's dish setup significantly different from yours (ie legacy .vs. SWiM)?

No SWM ubtil after I replaced the R15 but I did have an HD Dish and she doesn't

#5 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

Sounds like during it's stay in the closet either the HDD or the power supply went south. Many times such devices will fail after years of use and then months of non-use.

I'd save the $20 for the new access card.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...