Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Options

tornado

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Blitz7734

Blitz7734

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

I am looking to upgrade my DiercTv service. I havent been keeping up much with current hardware. Last I frequented swm was new :lol:

My setup..

D10
R10
HR10-250
Hr20-700

Slim-Line LNB
Passive Multi-Switch

What should I ask for/request to update everything... or will they even do something like that? I am not looking for a hand out from Directv or free stuff just would like to be updated to the most recent and current technology...

Thanks

Edited by Blitz7734, 29 August 2010 - 10:54 PM.

HDTV: Sony KF-50WE610 | Connected via Component | Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1015TX | Connected via Optical Audio | Slimline | 5 x 8 Passsive M-Switch |
| OTA - On | Always on | Native - On | Windows XP Media Center Network On Athlon via-WMP-11 | Phone Not Connected |

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:05 PM

I am looking to upgrade my DiercTv service. I havent been keeping up much with current hardware. Last I frequented swm was new :lol:

My setup..

D10
R10
HR10-250
Hr20-700

Slim-Line LNB
Passive Multi-Switch

What should I ask for/request to update everything... or will they even do something like that? I am not looking for a hand out from Directv or free stuff just would like to be updated to the most recent and current technology...

Thanks

SWM technology is still the lastest and greatest; with the addition of DECA, MVR service, and the new HR24.

You really can't specify what equipment you want or will get from DirecTV directly; as it's the luck of the draw.....

However they should be able to upgrade your HR10-250 for free as most have gotten them to do just that by simply asking.

If you want a garentee of H24 or HR24 equipment; the only way is to purchase one from somewhere like amazon, solidsignal or the like. You might be able to get DirecTV to credit your account the amount of the purchase (upfront lease) price by calling them and having them agree to notate the account. I've done this myself a few times by asking for customer retention if any flack was given by a regular CSR.

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:36 PM

If your desire is to upgrade to all HD, then the D10, R10 and HR10 will all need to be replaced. If you want to get Whole Home/MRV, the same 3 units will need to be replaced (but not necessarily upgraded to HD). MRV will only work between HD units, but you can keep one or more SD devices in your system (that won't have MRV available on them). So for MRV, you will have to add at least one more HD unit, and upgrade the other units to SWiM capable devices.

#4 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:19 AM

Put in for the MRV. All receivers besides the HR-20 will get replaced and you will get a SWM install. I assume the HR10 will be replaced with a newer HR-

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#5 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:21 AM

I would just quit and sign up again. $300 for 2HD dvr's +2HD receivers, free HD for life, and $29 off for the first year and $14 off for the next year. Get MRV installed for free. Request HR-24's in the signup and refuse the install if they try to bring anything else.

Their customer service is crap. If I am off contract, I should beable to renew for the new customer offer.

#6 OFFLINE   Blitz7734

Blitz7734

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:58 AM

I did see that offer for free HD for life...I'll take that to offset the MRV fee....

But for MRV you need a SWM install? That requires a new dish, or did I read something recently about connector box that takes my slimline feeds down to SWM?

I only have the one HDTV, but regardless all TVs will work with h24's??

Thanks for the help
HDTV: Sony KF-50WE610 | Connected via Component | Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1015TX | Connected via Optical Audio | Slimline | 5 x 8 Passsive M-Switch |
| OTA - On | Always on | Native - On | Windows XP Media Center Network On Athlon via-WMP-11 | Phone Not Connected |

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:38 AM

Wait unless you have an immediate need. HD equipment is in short supply in a couple months the deals may be better.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:38 AM

But for MRV you need a SWM install?

If you're not going to wire up an Ethernet LAN for it, then yes, SWM is your other choice (and the only networking method DIRECTV will install).

That requires a new dish, or did I read something recently about connector box that takes my slimline feeds down to SWM?

Just a new LNB assembly fitted to the existing Slimline dish.

I only have the one HDTV, but regardless all TVs will work with h24's??

As long as those TVs have line inputs, you're OK. If they have only RF inputs, you'll need to stick with SD equipment (or buy and install RF modulators) on those TVs.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tornado

Protected By... spam firewall...And...