Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

can a receiver be moved to a different dish

youtube

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bajabill

bajabill

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

I no longer have dishnet service, but my external equipment is still installed. My brother has current service. Would his receiver be able to work if plugged into my dish? I have dish 500 on my house and he has dish pro (I think) on his house. Just curious.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:10 AM

Yes, he would need to do a check switch once it is wired into your setup.

#3 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:40 AM

Your statement about "I have Dish 500 and he has Dish pro" really doesn't make any sense.

You can have a Dish500 with DishPro LNBs - in fact - that is the normal now.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#4 OFFLINE   bajabill

bajabill

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

my setup is old, maybe 8 years old. So it is a dish 500 saucer with the electronics typical of that era.

Naturally, I already tried this and the receiver could not connect, I did try the check switch and it completed that. It tried connecting to sats and ended up looking for transponder X - never got thru. I am going to try again and check to see if a tree is cutting my line of sight too much but wanted to see if it was obviously not going to work.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,311 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:05 PM

You will also need to get your own account. Using a receiver from your brother's account at your house is against the rules. He would need to take the receiver off of his account and you would need to subscribe for your own address if you want to use his receiver at your house.

#6 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

I was going to mention that but I figured someone with a badge would be better for it :)

edit: hey, when did i become an Icon? :)

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,311 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

edit: hey, when did i become an Icon? :)

With your 500th post. Not paying attention?

#8 OFFLINE   bajabill

bajabill

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

he wants to use my dish for when he goes camping

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,311 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

he wants to use my dish for when he goes camping

Then your line of sight won't matter. Give him the dish and let him mount it to a tripod and put it to use.

It is possible that the LNBs have been fried on it. Does it have a single wide LNB with two eyes or two separate LNBs with one eye each? If it is the wider "twin" two eye LNB it should work with any receiver DISH has - as long as the LNB works at all.

#10 OFFLINE   bajabill

bajabill

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:24 PM

I honestly have no good knowledge of what is up on my house. I was hoping to try it out before I get up on the ladder and take it down. If I cant get it working I dont think I am going thru the trouble of taking it off of the house. I was using it up until about Jan of this year.

#11 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:24 PM

With your 500th post. Not paying attention?

Nope. Not at all.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#12 OFFLINE   bajabill

bajabill

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:57 AM

Then your line of sight won't matter. Give him the dish and let him mount it to a tripod and put it to use.

It is possible that the LNBs have been fried on it. Does it have a single wide LNB with two eyes or two separate LNBs with one eye each? If it is the wider "twin" two eye LNB it should work with any receiver DISH has - as long as the LNB works at all.

It is the single wide unit, with 2 eyes

I tried again and it can not make the complete connection to the sat. It does try to download the guide info in the process. I may just take it down and let him try it in an area without a tree.

#13 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

You should be able identify a Dish Pro lnb because it would have a black DP logo on it. If it is a legacy LNB it will work with a dish pro reciver the check switch just takes a little longer. Assuming the switches and LNB still work. A legacy reciver will not work on a DP LNB with out a converter.

#14 OFFLINE   dynomonkey

dynomonkey

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:54 PM

After you take it down, you can sell on craigslist. not much money though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: youtube

spam firewall