Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Facts of Life

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,276 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:56 PM

1. Part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.

2. Nothing sucks more than that moment during a heated argument when you suddenly realize you're wrong.

3. I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

4. There is great need for a sarcasm font.

5. How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

6. Was learning cursive really necessary after all?

7. Map Quest needs to start their directions on # 5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my own neighborhood.

8. Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.

9. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired.

10. Bad decisions make good stories.

11. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

12. Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blue Ray? I don't want to have to restart my collection...again.

13. I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my ten-page technical report to which I swear I did not make any changes.

14. I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.

15. I think the freezer deserves a light as well.

16. I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay.

17. I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

18. I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

19. How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?

20. I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up to prevent a jerk from cutting in at the front. Stay strong, brothers and sisters!

21. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.

22. Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 times and still not know what time it is.

23. Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car keys in a pocket or purse, finding their cellphone, or pinning the Tail on the Donkey, but I'll bet everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3 feet away, in about 1.5 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time!

24. The first testicular guard, the "Cup", was used in Hockey in 1874, and the first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took 100 years for men to realize that their brain is also important.

Ladies.....Quit Laughing.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:02 PM

Excellent. Had to copy/paste that into an email to my friends.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   jpx5

jpx5

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationCentral New Jersey

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:05 AM

Well said...food for thought

Jeff
Sat - AU9-S

SWM16 broadbandDECA

Network Linksys WRT54GS
HR34-700, HR24-500, 2 HR24-100's
WHDVR

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,439 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:18 AM

2. It's never happened.
8. Only when they're under 50
12. What's Blue Ray?
20. If everyone waited to merge until they had to, there'd be fewer accidents and less traffic back-up. It's actually those that merge before they need to that are the problem.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:56 PM

4. Can Emotion Markup Language bring empathy to computing?
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#6 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

15 My freezer has a light.

#7 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:25 PM

11 - There is no question when it will strike - immediately after walking in the door.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#8 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,276 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

15. My freezer has a light.

...and mine has two, for a total of four -- plenty bright in there, but I just hope they all go off when the doors close. :whatdidid

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:43 PM

20. If everyone waited to merge until they had to, there'd be fewer accidents and less traffic back-up. It's actually those that merge before they need to that are the problem.

You drive in Dallas a lot don't you Stew. :lol:
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#10 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,439 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

Actually, I drive more in other places than I do in Dallas, but here's some references:

http://wcco.com/good....2.1686209.html

And here's one from Ask Marilyn just a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.parade.co...n-06-20-10.html

When a traffic-lane merge is coming, is it better for traffic flow to merge immediately or to wait until the last minute, assuming you can do both safely?
—Miriam Schultz, San Diego, Calif.

In an ideal world, the answer is clear: Take full advantage of the open lanes and merge like a zipper when one closes. But human factors often make this problematic. Early mergers may try to block late mergers, causing abrupt lane changes and sudden stops.

Experts agree that traffic flow would improve if motorists simply stayed in their respective lanes, merged as it became necessary, and never—ever—tried to stop another driver from merging.

Motorists who block late mergers or straddle the merging lanes are the real offenders. They cause drivers to hesitate to use both lanes, which prompts many people to merge early into a single, slow-moving lane and then become annoyed with those who don’t.

#11 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

http://wcco.com/good....2.1686209.html
You're taking advice on merging from a radio station in a state that is stupid enough to put stop lights on freeway entrance ramps? That and winter are two things that I am happy to be away from (mosquitos are on the list too).
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#12 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,168 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:33 PM

15 My freezer has a light.

Mine doesn't... but then again neither does my refrigerator!

Edited by fluffybear, 01 September 2010 - 04:42 PM.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#13 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:38 PM

That gets back to the real problem. People in the non-ending lane don't typically leave enough space between them to allow merging in that manner. At least in TX anyway.

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#14 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

That gets back to the real problem. People in the non-ending lane don't typically leave enough space between them to allow merging in that manner. At least in TX anyway.

They dont in Arkansas either, but I guarantee you when you start moving over anyway after driving for 1/4 mile with your turn signal letting them know your intention, they will let you in. I have no patience for people who gun it to keep you from changing lanes when your turn signal is on to do so. As long as they are more than 6 inches behind you when you move over, it will be their fault if they hit you around here. And make sure you keep your eyes on the shoulder too, because they will try to pass you there and in the middle turn lane on city streets as well. People around here get their licenses at WalMart.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#15 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,276 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

1. Part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.

If I had such a friend, I should probably have him reformat my laptop's HDD, run over it with an M-1 tank and drop it from the top of a 100 story skyscraper!

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#16 OFFLINE   audiomaster

audiomaster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:07 PM

There is nothng more beautiful than a long line of entering traffic smoothly merging with a traffic lane of cars each car letting one in ahead of it. In 40 plus years of driving, I actually think I have seen this happen...one or twice!

#17 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,439 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:11 PM

You're taking advice on merging from a radio station in a state that is stupid enough to put stop lights on freeway entrance ramps? That and winter are two things that I am happy to be away from (mosquitos are on the list too).

Nah, just one example of many on the right way to merge when a lane is closed. I was first taught that in drivers ed 30 years ago.

#18 OFFLINE   audiomaster

audiomaster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

What about the women who come to the bottom of the ramp, slam on the brakes and stop, look in the mirror to check hair and makeup and THEN put on thier signal and smile out the window at traffic like they think they could seduce an 18 wheeler going 65mph!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...