Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR 24 sat inputs and swm

vip922

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   raven540

raven540

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

I am a long time (20 year) directv receiver guy. Original HD DVR tivo and all that. But, I have lost touch. One of my three HD DVR's has died and I went to check DBS to find out what is the latest and greatest. (As an aside whenever I have had a problem DBS has been great) I saw the first look and second look at the HR 24 series. In the second look photos there are pictures of the HR 24 100 & 700 but they show the back of the units and in one picture they have two Sat inputs and in the other just one. I am set up with two lines from my dish to each of my HD DVR's. I think that I would need a SWM set up to change that. But, is the SWM internal to the new HR 24 or is it a separate set up. If separate can I get a 2 sat line input HR 24? Thanks for any and all info.

raven540@hotmail.com

PS forgive me if I did not post this correctly as I am an old guy and may have botched it up.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

raven540,

The latest and potentially greatest DirecTV HD DVR is the HR-24 (100, 200 & 500). All of the HR-24's have 2 Sat input connections and you should be able to use your existing "two line" setup. Among other things, a SWM system (not part of the HR-24) eliminates the need for the second Sat input line.

The H24-700 receiver has only one Sat input connection and that is probably the picture that you saw.

#3 OFFLINE   raven540

raven540

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:32 PM

Barry: Thanks that is exactly what I needed to know. Now I will find out how Directv feels about replacing my broken down model with the latest and greatest. I am sure that I will have to speak with customer retention.

Thanks again.

#4 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:16 AM

Barry: Thanks that is exactly what I needed to know. Now I will find out how Directv feels about replacing my broken down model with the latest and greatest. I am sure that I will have to speak with customer retention.

Thanks again.

Good luck! There is a national shortage on not only HR-24's but all HR models. You will be lucky to get an HR-24 and I doubt they will mail one but you never know. Give em a call!

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#5 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

The HR24 would definitely be the one you want. Sometimes you can find one for "sale" online. These sales are actually a lease payment. Almost all DirecTv receivers/DVRs are now leased, not owned. When and if you do activate a new leased box, there is a two year (for a DVR) service commitment with early termination fees.

If you continue with your old-style non-SWM install method with two lines to each DVR, you will need B-Band converters on all receivers you use EXCEPT the H23 or HR23.

I suggest going with a SWM installation for simplicity and because you can then use Whole Home DVR service, also known as MRV or Multi Room Viewing.

In any case you will need a new dish antenna since you probably have the old 3-LNB model, which will not receive any of the current HD lineup.

Keith

#6 OFFLINE   raven540

raven540

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for the update on availability of the new HR 24's. I will call customer retention on Tuesday and give them a chance to send me one. If they say they can not they can always deduct the cost of purchasing one about $200 from my bill. I currently have three hd dvr's (2 HR 20 and 1 HR 21)all connected via cable to the dish. Each has two cables so I have all tuners working. I get all HD channels offered. I am not sure but it might be more trouble than it is worth to go to SWM. I am not sure what I would gain.

spam firewall