Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I self install Slimline dish?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   parmark

parmark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:20 PM

Most frustrating experience of my life. Just use DTV for NFL package, unfortunately this year my wife popped for new HD tv. I say bad news in that I now need Slimline dish and new receiver. I would be better off taking $$ involved and just flying to the games. I live suburban Chicago, have a Slimline dish, picked up receiver, am I nuts to think I can capture signal doing this myself. I have dish on the roof right where other one was, have coordinates 199 Azimuth and 40 elevation, but not getting anything. I was able to get lucky and get the signal from the previous version of the dish. I am told might not be possible to find myself but I'm stubborn, and cheap. Any suggestions most appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

Yes, you could self install the Slimline dish. But, getting the best possible signal from it is tricky. Someone will post the installation videos shortly. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:53 PM

Most frustrating experience of my life. Just use DTV for NFL package, unfortunately this year my wife popped for new HD tv. I say bad news in that I now need Slimline dish and new receiver. I would be better off taking $$ involved and just flying to the games. I live suburban Chicago, have a Slimline dish, picked up receiver, am I nuts to think I can capture signal doing this myself. I have dish on the roof right where other one was, have coordinates 199 Azimuth and 40 elevation, but not getting anything. I was able to get lucky and get the signal from the previous version of the dish. I am told might not be possible to find myself but I'm stubborn, and cheap. Any suggestions most appreciated.

You didn't mention anything about setting the important 3rd setting on the dish. The "tilt" or skew on the dish also needs to be set to the correct value. That is the first thing you need to do after making sure the mast is plumb of course....

#4 OFFLINE   parmark

parmark

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:16 PM

Thanks Yoda - I know. I called DTV, they nor anyone else I have talked to have been able to provide this #. I'm just of mind to try to hit and miss by moving it around, I use video recorder to film the tv screen to see if I have captured any signal.

#5 OFFLINE   kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:40 PM

its tricky to get it "perfect" but just my suggestion, is to craigslist someone who is a tech or retailer or what not.. I am in Kansas City, MO I am a dealer here, usually if the dish is up and mounted etc, i charge anywhere from $50-$60 to do such a thing, I dont know the "going" rate in chicago area, but I would sure give it a try, it sure beats fighting with it and missing a setting by just a tad and throw things off.. just my suggestion..

#6 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

Thanks Yoda - I know. I called DTV, they nor anyone else I have talked to have been able to provide this #. I'm just of mind to try to hit and miss by moving it around, I use video recorder to film the tv screen to see if I have captured any signal.

There is a section on the Directv site or az, el & tilt...you just enter your zip code.

It will also come up as you go through the receiver set up. Write down these settings...you will need them as you assemble the dish and tune it.

You can do it. Make sure the mast is plumb and securely mounted. Set the tilt and el as listed as carefully as you can. Swing the dish through the az (compass line) slowly. Have someone on the receiver / TV watching the signal meter.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 01 September 2010 - 09:00 PM.
typo

#7 OFFLINE   parmark

parmark

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:06 PM

Joe - Thanks, I do have the Az and El, i can't find the tilt anywhere.

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,007 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

If you can't find it on the receiver's dish setup screen, try http://www.dishpointer.com/.

The first thing you need to do is to find 101, which is independent of the tilt setting. If you have a 5 LNB Slimline you should then adjust the tilt to peak the 119 signal level. With a 3 LNB Slimline you can just set the default value and forget it.

The trick at that point will be to get 99 and 103. I recall that the "dither" method is covered in the instruction sheet which comes with the dish and there are some videos on the Solid Signal website. If you are lucky enough to get any reading at 99 or 103, you can probably peak the signal from there (it is fairly sensitive to movement).

#9 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:15 PM

Make sure you select the correct dish type (slimeline 3 or 5lnb and either swm or standard lnb) to get the correct settings including the tilt. If you choose the incorrect dish type (something like 18" round it won't give you the tilt as that dish type doesn't have an adjustment for it).......

#10 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:20 PM

Try 40 degrees.....it will come up exactly when you enter your zip code in the receiver as you set up the slimline & HD box.

As mentioned by Bob...you can hit the 101 without tilt. Know that the 103 is about two degrees west of the 101.

Joe

#11 OFFLINE   parmark

parmark

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:02 AM

Joe & Yoda -
Can't thank you guys enough, though to be honest some of this is above my head. I am a real novice, I just move the dish around, do not have a signal finder or anything. I believe my Slimline is a LNB5, I didn't receive any instructions with it, I just popped it up where the older single version sat.

One question - I found the site with the skew -it is telling me 3 degrees. What channel is best to put receiver on to see if signal is caught?

Thanks again.

#12 OFFLINE   parmark

parmark

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:06 AM

How cool is this - I just saw on a site I can actually get a signal finder ap on my I phone. Not sure this will help, as I still don't know what I'm doing, but it can't hurt! Thanks again, the dishpointer site is terrific.
Question - how much real variance do I have- On screen it tells me elevation for my area is 40, but dishpointer says it is 41.2. Do I have any wiggle room here?

#13 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:32 AM

How cool is this - I just saw on a site I can actually get a signal finder ap on my I phone. Not sure this will help, as I still don't know what I'm doing, but it can't hurt! Thanks again, the dishpointer site is terrific.
Question - how much real variance do I have- On screen it tells me elevation for my area is 40, but dishpointer says it is 41.2. Do I have any wiggle room here?

The app on the phone will get you close and is used as a basic measurement and direction for line of site. do not count on it being 100% accurate.

Again, go by what the receiver tells you to set the asimuth, elevation and tilt to. If you run the satellite setup from menu/setup and parental controls/syste, setup/satelllite setup, choose the slime line 5 detup (make sure to choose SWM5 for the lnb type if you have a single coaxial line output on the lnb itself; if you have multiple outputs on the lnb you do NOT have a swm style lnb and would NOT choose "SWM" during the setup). Enter you zip code when prompted and it will give you all three adjustments to set your dish to.

Make sure to set the dish to the the settings indicated in the aforementioned setupscreen based on what you entered prior to mounting the dish itself. Moount the mast and make sure it is level/plumb. Place the dish on and aim it to the general direction indicated by the asimuth using a compass. Go back into the menu/setup and parental controls/system setup/satellite setup and this time choose the signal meter. Leave it on satellite 101 and slowly turn the dish back and forth checking the onscreen meter (helps to have a friend look as your turn the dish). Make slow adjustments until you reach maximum signal. Once you do that, you may have to make a minor adjustment to the elevation to maximize your signal.

At that point change the signal meter to 110, 119, 99, and 103 screens to check their signal levels as well.

#14 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:46 AM

The app on the phone will get you close and is used as a basic measurement and direction for line of site. do not count on it being 100% accurate.

Again, go by what the receiver tells you to set the asimuth, elevation and tilt to. If you run the satellite setup from menu/setup and parental controls/syste, setup/satelllite setup, choose the slime line 5 detup (make sure to choose SWM5 for the lnb type if you have a single coaxial line output on the lnb itself; if you have multiple outputs on the lnb you do NOT have a swm style lnb and would NOT choose "SWM" during the setup). Enter you zip code when prompted and it will give you all three adjustments to set your dish to.

Make sure to set the dish to the the settings indicated in the aforementioned setupscreen based on what you entered prior to mounting the dish itself. Moount the mast and make sure it is level/plumb. Place the dish on and aim it to the general direction indicated by the asimuth using a compass. Go back into the menu/setup and parental controls/system setup/satellite setup and this time choose the signal meter. Leave it on satellite 101 and slowly turn the dish back and forth checking the onscreen meter (helps to have a friend look as your turn the dish). Make slow adjustments until you reach maximum signal. Once you do that, you may have to make a minor adjustment to the elevation to maximize your signal.

At that point change the signal meter to 110, 119, 99, and 103 screens to check their signal levels as well.

+1

That should do it!.......The only thing I would add is MAKE SURE THE MAST IS PLUMB AND SECURELY MOUNTED. I stress that fundamental task.

AND you will not see the 99 or 103 without the B Band Converters installed.
(except the H23s...they have internal BBCs)

AND newer HD receivers have no tone on the signal meters so a helper with a cell phone is now needed.

Go for it.

Joe

#15 OFFLINE   parmark

parmark

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:09 AM

Yoda - you are the man, thanks.

I just want to double check - I am using my original receiver inside the house - I know this works. Can I use my original receiver to catch the signal, then I'll install the newer HD22 receiver once the signal is captured?

Thanks again for your help and advice here. Again I just put this on the same location as my round dish, I noticed last night my mast is not exactly straight/plumb, but it's dark by time I get home to play with this - I'll attack this tomorrow afternoon or weekend. I realize it's going to take time, but it's always very rewarding if/when I can get this. I know I was totally surprised when I was able to make this work with my previous version, I had someone sit in front of the tv in the basement and yell when I got the picture.

Last question - what channel - is it 9152 or 9052 - to use to have someone watch while I'm moving the dish?

#16 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

I just want to double check - I am using my original receiver inside the house - I know this works. Can I use my original receiver to catch the signal, then I'll install the newer HD22 receiver once the signal is captured?

Thanks again for your help and advice here. Again I just put this on the same location as my round dish, I noticed last night my mast is not exactly straight/plumb, but it's dark by time I get home to play with this - I'll attack this tomorrow afternoon or weekend. I realize it's going to take time, but it's always very rewarding if/when I can get this. I know I was totally surprised when I was able to make this work with my previous version, I had someone sit in front of the tv in the basement and yell when I got the picture.

Last question - what channel - is it 9152 or 9052 - to use to have someone watch while I'm moving the dish?

9152 & 9052 are below channel 1...but they will not help you with tuning.

IF you have a SD system (round dish) the slimline will not fit on that mast tightly enough to use. You need a 2" OD mast...or you have to shim the older 1.66 mast up to make it tight.

Hit the 101 satellite ...then tune the 99 and or 103. Need for these varies around the country as does a need for 110 & 119. Some places only use 99 101 & 103. Check picture & channels + read the transponders in the signal meter.

Go for it!

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 02 September 2010 - 09:48 AM.
typo

#17 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:54 AM

Don't try using a station to tune the dish, use the onscreen signal meter as I mentioned. Personally I would use the HR22 you mentioned to tune the dish since your older unit won't see 99 or 103 and possible not even 110 and 119 if it's even an older unit that's not multisat capable.

#18 OFFLINE   Sartori

Sartori

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

Your wife is the smart one. $$$involved, seriously??

#19 OFFLINE   parmark

parmark

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:39 PM

You guys ROCK!! After I decided to call DT and have new HD receiver activated, the elev/azi AND tilt figures showed up. It's really not that hard at all - after I set Ele and Tilt on the dish itself, used a cool app I found to find direction, and voila - I had the signal in five minutes!!
I can't thank you guys enough. I'm watching my football games with a smile tonight!

#20 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

You guys ROCK!! After I decided to call DT and have new HD receiver activated, the elev/azi AND tilt figures showed up. It's really not that hard at all - after I set Ele and Tilt on the dish itself, used a cool app I found to find direction, and voila - I had the signal in five minutes!!
I can't thank you guys enough. I'm watching my football games with a smile tonight!

Whats your signals post them

Protected By... spam firewall...And...