Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2011 Consumer Electronics Show - Free Registration

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,622 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:54 AM

For those CE'ers who can obtain credentials to attend the (Jan 6-9) 2011 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas - the "free registration period" for admittance ends September 30th.

Note: This event is not open to the general public - you must qualify for credentials per the instructions at the website.

The free registration link is here:

http://registration2....aspx?pcode=AN4

Last year, a number of DBSTalkers were there, and several of us provided onsite reports. It was also a great opportunity to meet some of our fellow CE'ers there for the first time. The 2010 show attendance was up about 10% from the previous year (about 121,000 attendees).

This coming 2001 CES will likely have some interesting things - rumored new devices, new technologies, and new innovative ideas for the future. Last year, we got "up close and personal" looks at a future DirecTV Home Media Center prototype, SWiM16 and SWiM units, 3D HDTV, and much more.

For those fellow "gadget heads" who like to see what is new or coming in the near future in consumer technology - this event is quite the experience.

Assuming there may be other CE'ers there again, we'll likely arrange another "DBSTalker" meet and greet dinner similar to last year's great experience. More on that as we get closer to the end of the year.

Hope to see at least some of you there. If you register and will attend for sure, feel free to PM me to make sure I include you on any "Meeting dinner" we set up there.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,399 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the reminder, I'll get right on it.

#3 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,622 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:14 AM

Thanks for the reminder, I'll get right on it.

You bet - it would be nice to repeat our "good times" in the DBSTalker port-show meeting like last year, as well as have folks enjoy the Conference itself.

As you know from having been there last year....there's plenty to see and learn.

#4 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,399 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:31 AM

You bet - it would be nice to repeat our "good times" in the DBSTalker port-show meeting like last year, as well as have folks enjoy the Conference itself.

Agreed, I hope we get the chance to get together again after the show.

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,622 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

Agreed, I hope we get the chance to get together again after the show.

That is certainly one goal.

In the mean time, the OP was primarily designed to alert those folks who can qualify for attendance seize the "free registration" opportunity while its still there.

For reference purposes....and to give folks some idea of what to expect...here is the report that was filed by a group of us DBSTalkers for this past CES in January 2010:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=171288

#6 OFFLINE   Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

Another year that I cannot make it! :(

-Mark-
"There's no place like 127.0.0.1 or ::127.0.0.1 or 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 or ::1!"
Support the DBSTalk forum, become a member, Click Here!
For Networking Help, Click Here!
For my setup, Click Here!
3/98

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,622 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:35 AM

Sorry you can't make it Mark...it would have been great to see you there. :(

One other tidbit of information...

While the idea of registration in September for a great Tradeshow in January may seem a bit early....its equally important to make any travel plans soon as well - the hotels in Vegas not only fill up early for this annual event...but typically raise their prices...so early planning can often get you some deals to reduce those costs to attend too.

The same website that offers the free registration through the end of the month also links to some "hotel deals" they have arranged for attendees.

#8 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:01 AM

I'm all signed up, but I can't promise I will be there. Mrs. Smiddy is planning some things for that time frame.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,622 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:35 AM

I'm all signed up, but I can't promise I will be there. Mrs. Smiddy is planning some things for that time frame.

Guess I get to say KEWL. :D

Hope it can work out for you...

#10 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,696 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:26 AM

Anyone know if D* is going to have a booth this coming year? They didn't this year.

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,622 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 07:30 AM

Anyone know if D* is going to have a booth this coming year? They didn't this year.

Likely not...or so a few folks have said.

They didn't have a booth there this past year either as you pointed out....yet there was plenty to see and learn about their new products and services. They had several key engineering and other personnel onsite in "partner" booths.

#12 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

I really want to go, I'll talk to the boss and see what she says.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,622 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:39 PM

I really want to go, I'll talk to the boss and see what she says.

Good times last year. Once I know who is all going from DBSTalk...we'll plan the DBSTalker onsite meeting (dinner) like last year.

I've heard Vegas has an incredible BB and B too. :D

#14 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

I'm thinking about it .. Signed up a while back ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,696 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:35 AM

Likely not...or so a few folks have said.

They didn't have a booth there this past year either as you pointed out....yet there was plenty to see and learn about their new products and services. They had several key engineering and other personnel onsite in "partner" booths.

I don't know why they wouldn't want to show off their new receivers (HR24, possible new Tivo, HMC) and demonstrate SWM/DECA/WHHDVR, and maybe show whats coming in the future?

#16 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,622 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:42 PM

I don't know why they wouldn't want to show off their new receivers (HR24, possible new TiVo, HMC) and demonstrate SWM/DECA/WHHDVR, and maybe show whats coming in the future?

It's my understanding that their marketing efforts for these kinds of shows has shifted a bit over the past few years, and that working with partners (like they did last year) to promote innovations to retail vendors/dealers. Remember, this is a show for consumer electronics retailers, not the general public.

In the case of the CES, the audience is the retail dealer for the most part, and they already get direct information on DirecTV products throughout the year.

What has been shown at the CES the past 2 years has been new innovations such as SWiM, DECA, and 3D through partners in their booths at the show. The original plan was also to have TiVo show off their new DirecTV Tivobox....but it simply was not ready.

In my case, I am certainly very interested in any of that information, along with other new technologies. There is info at CES on new PC and mobile computers, various mobile and Smart Phones, networking, photography, HDTV's, Home Theater technology and all sorts of hardware, new products such as THX HD & DTS HD, and much, much more.

The last 2 years....even with advance planning....seeing everything in the huge exhibit halls in 2 full days was challenging. This coming CES 2011, I'm planning on 3 days there.

If we determine there will be enough DBSTalkers there, not only might we do some reporting at least like last year, but also a "social dinner" or other gathering so folks can meet. The meeting last year was great - its nice to finally see people in person in addition to online. The previous year, several of the DBSTalk Moderators joined in a evening meeting.

If people are planning to go, it would be good to know that ahead of time so that we can plan accordingly.

In the mean time, the purpose of my original post was to facilitate anyone wishing to go finding out about the free registration period and link.

#17 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,814 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

Already registered as part of my business need. Looking forward to seeing many of there this time around.

Missed the social dinner last year as it was on the last night and by then I had been there six days already. Count me in if we can have it just a wee bit earlier in the week. May not be able to stay to the very last day.

#18 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,622 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

Already registered as part of my business need. Looking forward to seeing many of there this time around.

Missed the social dinner last year as it was on the last night and by then I had been there six days already. Count me in if we can have it just a wee bit earlier in the week. May not be able to stay to the very last day.

Super.

We'll likely make it earlier this year - maybe Friday night or something.

#19 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 31,622 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:32 AM

Latest Registration and Show Hours information:

Fees and Dates
By September 30, 2010: $0.00
October 1 -- 5 p.m. EST, December 31, 2010: $100.00
5:01 p.m. EST, December 31, 2010 -- On-site: $200.00

2011 International CES Exhibit Hours
Thursday, January 6: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Friday, January 7: 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
Saturday, January 8: 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
Sunday, January 9: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.

#20 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,047 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:11 PM

Don't think I can make it. I don't really qualify anyway. It would be fun, however. :D You guys give us all the good reports like last year and we'll be able to see it that way.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

spam firewall