Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Sports Bar App

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:08 AM

There is a new sport bar finder app in the Apple & Android stores to find DirecTV Sports programming

Edited by naijai, 02 September 2010 - 08:07 AM.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ahearst

ahearst

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 08:22 AM

Downloaded just now. Thanks OP!

#3 OFFLINE   Kapeman

Kapeman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

There is a new sport bar finder app in the Apple & Android stores to find DirecTV Sports programming

What is the name of the app?

EDIT: Found it, how well does it work?

#4 OFFLINE   Igor

Igor

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:28 AM

What is the name of the app?

EDIT: Found it, how well does it work?

There is a feature missing, it does not display the temperature of the beer. :hurah:
HR21, HR23, HR34 (HDMI, no OTA),
Slimline5 + SWM-16
iPhone and iPad with DIRECTV app :)

#5 OFFLINE   Kapeman

Kapeman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:34 AM

There is a feature missing, it does not display the temperature of the beer. :hurah:

It is also a little hard to find in the apps list because the app is called Sportsbar Finder, but it is listed as Barfinder in the app list.

#6 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:30 AM

I love the concept of finding sports bars with DirecTV subscriptions. But it seems like it needs a bit of work still on Android.

It's a bit buggy and slow. When you start the app it tries to determine your location and place bars on the map. It's pretty slow to pull up the results. Similar apps like Google Maps or Yelp pull up locations fairly quickly. The sports filters don't seem to work, filtering by sport doesn't change the bars that appear so not sure how useful that feature is. Since there are alot of locations that pull up like the Moose Lodge and Taco John's I'd like to be able to filter those out potentially.

When I start the app I notice the location finding service via the GPS radio is engaged so it is actively trying to find my location. When I leave the application (via the back arrow as there is no exit) I notice that the app is still actively trying to find my location still so that's not good on the battery. So I end up having to force close the application.

All in all great concept, but need to work out the bugs.

#7 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

Interesting idea, my guess is the bars get listed if they pruchase various DirecTV sports packages. Good idea and nice selling tool for the DirecTV commercial account reps. Having heard some of the prices sportsbars pay for the sports packages, this is a nice bonus for them.

#8 OFFLINE   Kapeman

Kapeman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 11:36 AM

I love the concept of finding sports bars with DirecTV subscriptions. But it seems like it needs a bit of work still on Android.

It's a bit buggy and slow. When you start the app it tries to determine your location and place bars on the map. It's pretty slow to pull up the results. Similar apps like Google Maps or Yelp pull up locations fairly quickly. The sports filters don't seem to work, filtering by sport doesn't change the bars that appear so not sure how useful that feature is. Since there are alot of locations that pull up like the Moose Lodge and Taco John's I'd like to be able to filter those out potentially.

When I start the app I notice the location finding service via the GPS radio is engaged so it is actively trying to find my location. When I leave the application (via the back arrow as there is no exit) I notice that the app is still actively trying to find my location still so that's not good on the battery. So I end up having to force close the application.

All in all great concept, but need to work out the bugs.

Agreed.

Great concept, but the implementation is not there yet.

#9 OFFLINE   KNPKH2ster

KNPKH2ster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:51 PM

Thats pretty cool that theres a Sports Bar App. I've read the previous comments saying that it had bugs in it, but at least its a start.

#10 OFFLINE   Dcm210

Dcm210

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

searched it in the market and couldn't find and scanned the QR code and didn't work. Help plz?
DTV customer since 2002
recievers-HD-DVR,three SD receivers
sports packages-NFL ST,MLB EI,ESPN Gameplan,and NHL CI,
premuims-HBO,Cinemax,sports pack and Showtime
TV-Sharp Aquas 37 inch 1080p

#11 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:36 PM

searched it in the market and couldn't find and scanned the QR code and didn't work. Help plz?

Search for barfinder in market. That's how I found it.

#12 OFFLINE   Kapeman

Kapeman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:32 PM

Search for barfinder in market. That's how I found it.

I used App Brain to find it.

See my post above about the misname issue.

#13 OFFLINE   dhines

dhines

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:40 PM

i am wondering if d* is also hopeful that this will lead to catching those that are using non-commercial accounts at bars. meaning, if they include a "your bar isn't included on the map" option, they could then have people telling them "you need to include bar X", etc

i think you guys get the picture . . . .

all-around win for d* if you ask me.
nothing like having way too much sports programming . . .

(see profile for equipment)

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:12 PM

Yea, this app should help some people and hurt others ....

Help Police: Get some more DUI fines as well as driving while using the iPhone (edit: and 'Droid) in some states.
Help Bars: Will get more patrons.
Hurt Insurance Co's: Increase our car insurance rates and medical insurance rates when the users use the app while driving and run into trees after leaving the bar while DUI.
Help Hospitals: More money from the insurance companies when they have to bring in the extra drunks who are splattered on the road.

There must be a few more pluses and minuses. :)

#15 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:16 PM

I wanna know where NCAA games are! Whose got the Alabama game Saturday night!?

#16 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

http://chart.apis.go...rectv.barfinder

QR code for android phones
Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

#17 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:33 PM

I wanna know where NCAA games are! Whose got the Alabama game Saturday night!?

I believe that one is only available via PPV (ESPN GamePlan) and ESPN3.com.

http://capstonerepor...view-info/8196/

#18 OFFLINE   bones boy

bones boy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:55 PM

Surprised that DTV would "align" themselves with Sports Bars. Everyone "knows" sports bars are wonderful commercial customers for DTV (which keeps shareholders happy) but placing their logo on this app could be construed as "condoning" alcohol activities. That's not my personal train of thought, but to me it seems like a surprise move for such a conservative company.

#19 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

Surprised that DTV would "align" themselves with Sports Bars. Everyone "knows" sports bars are wonderful commercial customers for DTV (which keeps shareholders happy) but placing their logo on this app could be construed as "condoning" alcohol activities. That's not my personal train of thought, but to me it seems like a surprise move for such a conservative company.

Sports Bars across the nation already advertise "NFL Sunday Ticket Available Here" with signage .. how is that any different than an App that does pretty much the same thing?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#20 OFFLINE   Baldmaga

Baldmaga

Godfather

• Registered
  • 440 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:51 PM

Plus, the EULA pretty much says 3 times you can only use it if you are 21. No way of proving that, but they still put it...

spam firewall