Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installer job offer...do I take it?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

All depends on the HSP.
My question personally is what about the O&O folks? I haven't seen or heard anything from them (don't know if there are any stupid enough to make comments here! jk) about how the conditions differ from the HSP world. I've got to imagine that there are some major differences, whether good or bad.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:10 PM

All depends on the HSP.
My question personally is what about the O&O folks? I haven't seen or heard anything from them (don't know if there are any stupid enough to make comments here! jk) about how the conditions differ from the HSP world. I've got to imagine that there are some major differences, whether good or bad.

N,
I too await some form of response to my continual reports about the bandits that run the HSPs. I know they all cannot be crooks. And I know that...if you took every installation I ever did and added all the information I have from other pals and techs....just added them up...that number would not be 1% of all Directv customers.

But still the unrelated reports flow. Directv grows. HSPs have a license to steal. Techs leave before they become competent. Old farts like me warn that there may be Greeks in that horse.(Read Homer)...SOS continues.

Need a new hobby,

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 04 September 2010 - 09:12 PM.
typo

#23 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:20 PM

My wife is from the Pittsburgh area and we've spent a lot of time there. $18.75 is probably more than most people make an hour in many parts of PA.

Agreed. I always recommend going for a job like that over a repair or installation job. The freedom of the installer's job is something you probably won't get at first in the DOT job, but in the long run you'll probably be better off. And you have to think of the future. You don't want to be in your late 50s and suddenly discover you'll have to work for the rest of your life to make ends meet.

Take the DOT job, work your butt off, say "Yes sir!, No sir!" constantly and you'll be all right. Those outside installer jobs have to be miserable in the winter, especially in NE PA. In the summer, every outside job looks good, but in the winter it's miserable.

the 60 year old man you'll become will be grateful for what you've done. Just a thought from someone who spent almost 30 years in a large corporation and retired at 52 and was damn grateful to that young man who suffered thru some miserable working conditions and finally did quite well. Took me six years of production work, which was nasty, but the rest of the time was cake.

Rich

Rich,

Those words, exactly as you have presented them will be used when I speak to my son.

Thanks,

Joe

#24 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:40 PM

I usually average over 20$ an hour at the top pay rate. New installers average between 10-15/hr. Add in the overtime from working 6 days a week and I'm pushing closer to 30.

I don't think your beating up on me at all.

For example today I had 1 job (3 rescheduled due to no equipment). It was a 3 room HD install. Took approximately 2 hours and I made 80$. It was a very average install.

Had my other jobs gone in I would have made 300$ today in roughly 8 hours. Now to be fair with drive time and hiccups it would have been more like 10 hours, but that is still 30$ an hour.

I never make less than 15$/hour.

Manctech,

I know the money goes up and down. But the money you pay out is a constant.

Add it all up....insurance, vehicle costs including replacement funds, phone costs, computer & other office expenses, tools, hospitalization, SS deduct x 2 is around 15%, state, local & fed taxes....the rest....materials & back charges,,,empty trips.

All that is before you can buy your kid a soda.

My numbers look like you need $60.00 for every one of the thirty hours on site plus $20.00 minimum for the other twenty hours you end up driving, waiting, non paid tasks.

$60.00 x 30= $1800.00
$20.00 x 20= 400.00
$2200.00 / wk x50 =$110,000.00

This is a ball park gross. Deduct all costs and see where you are. I would bet that if you used the $15.00 - $30.00 model you could not buy food.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 04 September 2010 - 09:43 PM.
typo

#25 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:58 AM

Most installers in my HSP make over $1000 a week.

You might be able to live on that in the NYC area. But you wouldn't make that much here. Hard as it is to believe, $52,000 a year in this area isn't really much at all. In the early '90s, a mechanic who used to work for me asked to come to my office and have a talk about where the company was going. At that time he was pulling in about $80,000 a year with overtime and his wife didn't work and he was hurting. Just to give you an idea how bad it is here for some folks. He just barely qualified to buy a house. And he wasn't happy with how small it was. Rough place to live.

Rich

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:06 AM

Rich,

Those words, exactly as you have presented them will be used when I speak to my son.

Thanks,

Joe

I hope your son listens, mine doesn't seem to get it.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:20 PM

You might be able to live on that in the NYC area. But you wouldn't make that much here. Hard as it is to believe, $52,000 a year in this area isn't really much at all. In the early '90s, a mechanic who used to work for me asked to come to my office and have a talk about where the company was going. At that time he was pulling in about $80,000 a year with overtime and his wife didn't work and he was hurting. Just to give you an idea how bad it is here for some folks. He just barely qualified to buy a house. And he wasn't happy with how small it was. Rough place to live.

Rich

Which is why I left Jersey and moved to Oklahoma! (OK, my Okie wife had a little bit to do with it, too!) :D

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:57 PM

Which is why I left Jersey and moved to Oklahoma! (OK, my Okie wife had a little bit to do with it, too!) :D

I hear that. We can't leave, not sure I'd want to. But, I'm sure we'll get to the point where it's just too expensive.

Rich

spam firewall