Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New to Satellite in general, help!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   powell730

powell730

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:38 AM

Ok, so first let me start off by saying I am new to Satellite in general, let alone DirecTV. I know this question has been answered in this forum but since I am new to this I don't quite understand all the lingo used. With that being said here is my situation...

I have been a DirecTV customer for about one week so I know they won't work with me on this. I have one HD DVR receiver, one HD receiver, and one SD receiver. I really want to replace the SD receiver with an HD receiver so I can have access to my whole-home-dvr in all my rooms. When I signed up they wanted to charge me $100 to have an additional HD receiver, they also didn't tell me that an HD receiver is required to have access to the whole-home-dvr. Instead of paying the $100 to DirecTV I would prefer to purchase my own HD receiver and replace it with the SD receiver because I feel like I can get a better deal.

Is this allowed by DirecTV? If so, do I need to call them to purchase a new card that goes into the receiver or can I just use the one that is in my SD receiver? Also, I guess I have free HD for life? So, would I need to do anything other than just hook up an HD receiver that I purchased on my own?

As I said before I know this is in the forum somewhere but I can't find the proper answer because I need someone to explain in very plain english not using acronyms. However, I am fairly savvy with electronics etc... so you don't have to define everything, just most things :)... I just haven't had a chance yet to do research on how these things operate.

Thank you in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:05 AM

It is definitely allowed. In fact, there are some nice used HD DVRs in the buy/sell/trade forum. I will paste my usual advice below. You will need to purchase a new card, they are $20. You can just swap it out, and send your SD receiver back in a kit they will send you. You should have free HD for life if you just signed up a week ago.

When buying a used receiver, you will need the receiver ID number on the unit, and you have to talk to the access card distribution team, NOT A FRONT LINE CSR. If the first person that answers the phone insists they can look everything up for you and you don't need to talk to the ACDT, nicely tell them something along the lines of "I have had problems in the past where a representative not in the access card team has given me bad information. I would like to speak to the access card distribution team please, since they are the ones that decide if a new access card can be issued or not." If they get snooty and insist they can do it, politely end the call, and call back (as many times as needed) until someone will transfer you. I have never had to call back more than once, so don't let that scare you off. :)

Once you get transferred over to the ACDT, confirm with them you made it to the right place. A simple "Hi, (name)! Have I reached the access card distribution team?" works fine. Once all the formalities are out of the way and they ask how they can help, say something along the lines of "I am wanting to purchase a used receiver, and I would like to check the receiver ID with you and make sure the receiver is owned, disconnected, and tied to an account that is in good standing, not in collections, and that I would have no problems ordering an access card and adding this receiver to my account as an owned receiver."

They will then ask for the RID and will start looking into it for you. If there is an issue like a small past due balance or something like that where the ACDT rep tells you they can make an exception and go ahead and activate it for you, my best advice is to just walk away. If nothing shows up, the receiver should be able to be added as a leased receiver, but you must confirm this with them. At this point, if everything checks out, you will be able to order a card for the receiver, but since you are calling BEFORE you pay any money for the receiver, you may not actually have the receiver yet, so you might not want to order a card until you actually have bought the receiver, but that is up to you. I suggest you politely ask them to notate your account and copy/paste all the information into your notes so it is ready for when you actually have the receiver and call back to order the card. They have been doing that automatically now lately, but it is always good to ask. It has been my experience that it is helpful to get their employee ID as well, in case there is an issue later.

It doesn't matter about pay per view and a balance pending on an existing card that might come with a receiver you buy. The card gets replaced, that is what holds the charges. On occasion, the old card can is re-used instead of spending the $20 on a new one, and it is my understanding you are liable for up to $100 in charges that show up from doing it this way. It is much less of a heartache just to spend the $20 for the card.

After a few days, your card will arrive in the mail. Once you have it in the receiver and can see channel 200 on your TV, it is time to call the ACDT again. There will be a blue paper that you card will come stuck to, ignore it's blather about calling the automated number, call D*, and work your way to the access card distribution team. Again, the first person that answers the phone will insist they can do it for you. DON'T LET THEM. ONLY the ACDT can activate owned receivers. Simply tell the front line CSR that it is an owned receiver, and that you need to speak with the ACDT, because of that reason. If they continue to give you grief, hang up and call back as before. You need the ACDT to activate it, nobody else. If someone outside the ACDT activates it, it always activates as leased, and when you asked if it activated as owned, they will say no, and guess where they send you… the place you asked to be sent in the first place, the ACDT.

Once the ACDT activates your receiver for you, just ask to confirm it activated as owned. They will confirm it, and that is pretty much it! :D

Edited by matt, 04 September 2010 - 01:37 AM.

Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   powell730

powell730

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:49 AM

Ok, great thank you! So if I decide to purchase another DVR as opposed to just another HD receiver would they add an additional $10 for another DVR box or is it just $10/month no matter how many DVR receivers I have?

Also, I have an SWM satellite dish. Should all receivers work with this dish or do I need to stick with the newest model?

#4 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:29 AM

The $10 DVR charge covers all DVRs on your account. All HRx DVR's will work with a SWM setup assuming you have enough room on your SWM which looks like you will. 2 DVR's = 4 SWM channels and 1 more for the HD receiver for a total of 5 out of 8.

#5 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,304 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:32 AM

H/HR2X

#6 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,304 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:44 AM

Nice used HR20-100 - $180
Access Card $20
DBS Talk Membership $15
DECA $15 or up
Aggravation Priceless

Leased Plug and Play $99 plus shipping

Edited by samrs, 04 September 2010 - 02:58 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   nevea2be

nevea2be

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:36 AM

SALE WEEK! Take 10% off any/all of my items for sale in the buy/sell/trade section!

I didn't know we had a buy/sell/trade section. I went to look for it and the only one I see listed is archived. Is there another one that's active? I don't see it listed in the drop down menu.

#8 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:54 AM

I didn't know we had a buy/sell/trade section. I went to look for it and the only one I see listed is archived. Is there another one that's active? I don't see it listed in the drop down menu.

That's his" signature" your refering to.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#9 OFFLINE   nevea2be

nevea2be

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:11 AM

That's his" signature" your refering to.

Yes, is it something that's very old and he never changed it?

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:21 AM

Not sure of it's age.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#11 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:27 AM

I believe you have to be a DBSTalk club member ($15 a year) to access that forum.
DogLover

My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   nevea2be

nevea2be

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:34 AM

I believe you have to be a DBSTalk club member ($15 a year) to access that forum.

I don't see anything even promoting to become a DBSTalk club member? Is it a secret invite only membership?

#13 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,459 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:34 AM

I don't see anything even promoting to become a DBSTalk club member? Is it a secret invite only membership?

http://www.dbstalk.com/payments.php should get you there. :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#14 OFFLINE   powell730

powell730

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:43 AM

Nice used HR20-100 - $180
Access Card $20
DBS Talk Membership $15
DECA $15 or up
Aggravation Priceless

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

What the heck is a DECA?? Is it necessary for me to have if I decide to get just a regular HD receiver as opposed to another DVR??

Also, I'm assuming MRV stands for "multi-room-viewing?"

This kind of off topic but, I just looked at my DVR receiver and I have the H24/200. If I hit the power button on the remote that turns off the TV and my receiver simultaniously, will my shows that are scheduled to record still record? My original thinking was no so I've been turning off only my TV but, I just turned off the receiver while I'm downloading a VOD movie to test it and the "record" light stayed on as if it were continuing to record.

Edited by powell730, 04 September 2010 - 06:54 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:22 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

What the heck is a DECA?? Is it necessary for me to have if I decide to get just a regular HD receiver as opposed to another DVR??

Also, I'm assuming MRV stands for "multi-room-viewing?"

This kind of off topic but, I just looked at my DVR receiver and I have the H24/200. If I hit the power button on the remote that turns off the TV and my receiver simultaniously, will my shows that are scheduled to record still record? My original thinking was no so I've been turning off only my TV but, I just turned off the receiver while I'm downloading a VOD movie to test it and the "record" light stayed on as if it were continuing to record.

I assume you mean an HR24-200. That being the case, when you use the Power button on a D* remote you aren't powering down the DVR. You are placing it in Standby. It will record everything, just like if it was completely powered up.

DECA is D* implementation that allows the set-top boxes (STB) to be networked over the coax. With the H/HR24-series boxes the DECA device is built in to the STB. With all other H/HR2x-series boxes an external DECA module is needed for the D* supported version of Multi-Room Viewing (Whole House DVR service).

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#16 OFFLINE   nevea2be

nevea2be

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:31 AM

http://www.dbstalk.com/payments.php should get you there. :)

Thanks smiddy! One would think there would be some type of advertisement for it, it's been years since I looked in my control panel.

Edit; Powell sorry about highjacking your thread. Welcome to the club!

#17 OFFLINE   powell730

powell730

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:43 AM

DECA is D* implementation that allows the set-top boxes (STB) to be networked over the coax. With the H/HR24-series boxes the DECA device is built in to the STB. With all other H/HR2x-series boxes an external DECA module is needed for the D* supported version of Multi-Room Viewing (Whole House DVR service).

Sorry, I did mean HR24. OK, so let me get this straight. Even if I purchase an HD receiver as opposed to a DVR receiver I will need to also buy a DECA in order to be able to view my recordings on that HD receiver? That is of course unless I buy another HR24/200 receiver in which case it is pre installed in the receiver. Now are there any HD receivers that also have this DECA pre installed?

Nevea, NP and thanks!

#18 OFFLINE   kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:51 AM

Sorry, I did mean HR24. OK, so let me get this straight. Even if I purchase an HD receiver as opposed to a DVR receiver I will need to also buy a DECA in order to be able to view my recordings on that HD receiver? That is of course unless I buy another HR24/200 receiver in which case it is pre installed in the receiver. Now are there any HD receivers that also have this DECA pre installed?

Nevea, NP and thanks!

You dont need deca to watch recordings from your HD receiver.. Deca is just for "on demand" and streaming pics, music etc to your receiver. if you are not concerned about any of that and JUST want to pull up your recorded shows you DO NOT need Deca..

#19 OFFLINE   powell730

powell730

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:07 AM

kcaudio: OK thanks for the info!

So, from what I have gathered in order for me to upgrade my SD STB to an HD STB and be able to have access to my MRV I need to do the following:

1. Purchase an HD receiver that is model H2x.
2. Call DirecTV to have a new AC sent to me.
3. Once the AC is activated I then should be able to have have access to my MRV and obviously... have the HD channels.

Am I missing anything? Also, I do not want to have access to VOD on the new HD receiver, I only want it where I have my DVR receiver (which I already have set up VOD in that room). So I would not need a DECA where my new HD receiver would be, correct?

I know I am asking a lot of stupid questions, just want to make sure I am purchasing the proper equipment before I drop a few hundred dollars!

Edited by powell730, 04 September 2010 - 08:19 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,539 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:25 AM

You dont need deca to watch recordings from your HD receiver.. Deca is just for "on demand" and streaming pics, music etc to your receiver. if you are not concerned about any of that and JUST want to pull up your recorded shows you DO NOT need Deca..

Wait a minute here....

If he has a DECA cloud for MRV, and if DirecTV set up MRV, he'd need a DECA for an HD receiver unless he leased an H24. It'd be unlikely to find an owned one.

To the OP, if you buy a receiver, make sure it's not an H20. Those aren't MRV compatible, no ethernet jack.

Edited by dpeters11, 04 September 2010 - 08:30 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...