Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Remote TV Viewing - DirecTV late to the party?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pcguru83

pcguru83

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

I've heard a lot the last few months about the "remote TV" or "TV Anywhere" features that several of DirecTV's competitors have rolled out. Dish Network obviously has the Sling-enabled DVR. AT&T U-verse has (or will shortly have) the ability to watch shows from an iPhone (and I'm guessing PC). I believe I also heard about plans that Comcast has for an iPhone app or way to view On Demand shows via your computer.

Seems the best we get from DirecTV is a somewhat flaky way to watch shows on your own network via DirecTV2PC. I've been playing around with it a bit this week, and while it is cool, it seems incomplete at best. Give me that on my iPhone and then we're really talking.

Have there been any rumblings/rumors/announcements about similar functionality from DirecTV? Seems a lot of companies are moving in this direction, and I can't wait to see something like this offered right from the source.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,080 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

I've heard a lot the last few months about the "remote TV" or "TV Anywhere" features that several of DirecTV's competitors have rolled out. Dish Network obviously has the Sling-enabled DVR. AT&T U-verse has (or will shortly have) the ability to watch shows from an iPhone (and I'm guessing PC). I believe I also heard about plans that Comcast has for an iPhone app or way to view On Demand shows via your computer.

Seems the best we get from DirecTV is a somewhat flaky way to watch shows on your own network via DirecTV2PC. I've been playing around with it a bit this week, and while it is cool, it seems incomplete at best. Give me that on my iPhone and then we're really talking.

Have there been any rumblings/rumors/announcements about similar functionality from DirecTV? Seems a lot of companies are moving in this direction, and I can't wait to see something like this offered right from the source.

Nothing on the horizon in the near future in terms of "remote viewing" access. My suggestion is to add a slingbox or hava to your existing direcTV unit and have the best of well----everything....

That's exactly what I have been enjoying for years....Access from anywhere on a pc, mac, iPhone, iPod Touch, Windows Mobile OS enabled phone, symbian or blackberry, etc.....

#3 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:20 PM

Based on the direction D* has taken so far with MRV/DECA/mediashare/Directv2pc and RVU in the future, it wouldn't really be too difficult for them to make this a reality.. I'd be willing to bet money it's in the near future (~1 year). Note this is pure speculation, I don't have any inside info about this :)
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#4 OFFLINE   gootz

gootz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 02:56 PM

You could always buy a slingbox. I watch my directv on my iphone all the time.

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

Based on the direction D* has taken so far with MRV/DECA/mediashare/Directv2pc and RVU in the future, it wouldn't really be too difficult for them to make this a reality.. I'd be willing to bet money it's in the near future (~1 year). Note this is pure speculation, I don't have any inside info about this :)

So what you're saying is you have inside information and you're willing to bet money. Ok, who is your source? How do you know this inside information? Tell us! :lol:

#6 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

Haha, nope. Only speculation. But, it's at least an educated guess based on what D* has accomplished so far, and what we know about the path of RVU Alliance...
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#7 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:29 PM

It sounds like this might be on their radar.. Soon maybe?
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#8 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:06 PM

History has spoken. If D*'s competitors have it, D* is working on getting it.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#9 OFFLINE   cherry919

cherry919

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:38 PM

It's not all the channels, but it's a start...

http://www.directv.c...l_online_mobile

#10 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

Check out

(Title: "DIRECTV, JetHead Development and Entropic show RVU demonstration at CES'2010")

spam firewall