Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Very Strange Effect with D* and 3D Glasses

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:45 PM

I have noticed something very strange using Mitsubishi/Samsung 3D Glasses - not really an error - but wondering if anyone can explain it.

I have a number of STB and other pieces of electronics in the same room as my 3D-TV.

While viewing 3D programming, I noticed that the blue ring, power, resolution and even the record LED "sparkled" on my HR-20, HR-21 and HR-23. Upon closing one eye, its obvious what is happening. The lights all cycle in 1 second cycles, going from full off, growing in brightness, peaking and then declining in brightness.

The left and the right eyes are offset in the cycle, giving the "sparkling" effect one sees with both eyes.

To make it even stranger, NO OTHER ELECTRONICS LED shows this effect. This includes the H2x DirecTV STBs.

To me, as the glasses cycle 120 times a second, it really makes no sense to me why this is happening in a 1 second cycle - and even stranger that the L&R cycles are out of phase.

Can anyone explain what is going on - and why are the Directv HR2x units the only electronics to show this?

Also, can anyone tell is it happening with Panasonic 3D Glasses as well?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Impala1ss

Impala1ss

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:06 PM

I can't explain but I also can not see a complete number on my LED clock which sits on top of my components.

#3 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

I see this also, on my HR24. And my LCD clock is unreadable with 3D glasses on. I don't know what is going on --- some sort of beats, I guess.
Greg

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:47 PM

Sounds like a "feature" to me. Don't let Directv know or they'll charge you a monthly fee for it.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   SteveInNC

SteveInNC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:12 PM

I suspect that the LEDs are being driven by some form of pulsed or clocked circuit. It just so happens that your glasses are switching frames slightly out of sync with the LEDs, so over time, the duty cycle (time on and off) of the glasses shifts to match more of the duty cycle of the LEDs, making them appear more "on" gradually as the cycles sync up, then fading out again as the cycles drift apart. The lens elements on your glasses are likely 180 degrees out of phase so that they can alternate which TV frame you see, so when one side shows the sparkling LEDs full-on, the other should show full-off or dimmest.

As to the clocks, the circuits driving addressing of clock number segments are very often incremented individually, much like stepping through computer memory and powering (or not) that particular cell depending on the digit you are displaying.

#6 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:40 AM

I noticed this as well. It's a pretty cool effect.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...