Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

IV Retest

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   goblazers_6

goblazers_6

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:02 PM

Anyone here in one of the installation verification retest beta markets? Launches nationally on the 7th. Just wondering what you think of it, or if you have any advice.
My Setup: Triple-Sat LNB to a SWM-16 with a 21v power supply - HR24 with a DECA - HR24 with a BSF - H20 with a DECA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:08 PM

This might be the death of me. I'm a dedicated service tech and this sounds like a nightmare. UHG.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#3 OFFLINE   goblazers_6

goblazers_6

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:17 PM

This might be the death of me. I'm a dedicated service tech and this sounds like a nightmare. UHG.

That's the same thing I was thinking. Maybe it'll be time to go hourly.
My Setup: Triple-Sat LNB to a SWM-16 with a 21v power supply - HR24 with a DECA - HR24 with a BSF - H20 with a DECA

#4 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

The real unanswered Question, Is What about the customer-He had service, the IV re-test fails and no waiver is given so you can not close the service order - So you leave the customer who had service without service.

Sounds like a great plan to me. What could happen?
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#5 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:34 PM

The real unanswered Question, Is What about the customer-He had service, the IV re-test fails and no waiver is given so you can not close the service order - So you leave the customer who had service without service.

Sounds like a great plan to me. What could happen?

The customer is unnafected. You can hit "continue" on the IV retest screen. The problem is for the tech, who can't close the job or get paid.

I could list the scenarios where this will cause major issues.
I'll just say, that this is a very bad idea. :nono:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#6 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:00 PM

My problem is every time it's raining, 5-6 service calls a day, 45 minutes on hold waiting for a waiver... it's going to get old.

What about customers signal strength hovering just below the verification threshold and have a 40' roof.

What about customers that have receivers in split locations... some on mountain house some at regular house.. It picks which receiver you have to verify..

It's going to get old fast and I can easily see myself forcing them to put me back on installs or I'll find other employment.

#7 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:27 PM

If the installation is even somewhat close to being up to spec, passing the IV retest should be a non-issue.

I don't see this being a problem. I have yet to have to get a waiver ever since the IV was implemented.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#8 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

My problem is every time it's raining, 5-6 service calls a day, 45 minutes on hold waiting for a waiver... it's going to get old.

What about customers signal strength hovering just below the verification threshold and have a 40' roof.

What about customers that have receivers in split locations... some on mountain house some at regular house.. It picks which receiver you have to verify..

It's going to get old fast and I can easily see myself forcing them to put me back on installs or I'll find other employment.

You mean those customers that are violating their TOS by having receivers in multiple locations at the same time?

Boo hoo. No fix for them.

All receivers or at least those that call for the IV retest will be at the customers place before I touch anything.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me

#9 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:53 PM

You mean those customers that are violating their TOS by having receivers in multiple locations at the same time?

Boo hoo. No fix for them.

All receivers or at least those that call for the IV retest will be at the customers place before I touch anything.

And then I lose money - no close, no pay.

#10 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:54 PM

If the installation is even somewhat close to being up to spec, passing the IV retest should be a non-issue.

I don't see this being a problem. I have yet to have to get a waiver ever since the IV was implemented.

Too bad most jobs that are even somewhat close to being up to spec are not typically the ones that need a service call.

It's the 10yr old self installs, the ****ty installs done by new techs, old techs that don't give a **** any more, and movers that never set up a movers connect and the CSR sets up a service call.

It's **** all around.

#11 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:04 PM

And then I lose money - no close, no pay.

They can either go get the other boxes or reschedule for after they got the other boxes.

#12 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

Too bad most jobs that are even somewhat close to being up to spec are not typically the ones that need a service call.

It's the 10yr old self installs, the ****ty installs done by new techs, old techs that don't give a **** any more, and movers that never set up a movers connect and the CSR sets up a service call.

It's **** all around.

Not much one can do about the DIY install.
Bad installs *should* already be somewhat improving with the current IV.
Old techs that don't care anymore, they can be shown the door.
Movers set up as a service call will get canceled and rebooked with the proper workorder and the proper pay.

Time to stop dancing around others incompetence. A crap install that is causing service issues is a crap install regardless of the why.

#13 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

Not much one can do about the DIY install.
Bad installs *should* already be somewhat improving with the current IV.
Old techs that don't care anymore, they can be shown the door.
Movers set up as a service call will get canceled and rebooked with the proper workorder and the proper pay.

Time to stop dancing around others incompetence. A crap install that is causing service issues is a crap install regardless of the why.

And it's the service techs that have to eat it. We get paid less and have to do more already and this re-test **** is going to get old.

Really I just have a problem calling in 5-6 waviers a day. It's not going to happen.

#14 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

i'm hoping that along with the regular IV, it will be real time and be able to be turned down, turned off during weather exceptions.

as to the big nasty on the missing IRD's..... well if the current degeneration in level and quality of technicians in ISS is any indicator they have seriously up-staffed. But, the 2nd time in a day i have to sit and wait for a waiver because the customer has 2 houses i call activations and turn them off, or i walk.

going to be pretty brutal out there.

#15 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:05 AM

Just more pain and less pay for everyone involved,IV is the biggest monkey wrench DirecTV ever dreamed up.

All it takes is rainy day in the mountains and your going to have a real bad day as an installer.:rolleyes:

#16 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,770 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:36 AM

Anyone here in one of the installation verification retest beta markets? Launches nationally on the 7th. Just wondering what you think of it, or if you have any advice.

What exactly is this for, could one of you please explain it a bit further? Thanks

#17 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

What exactly is this for, could one of you please explain it a bit further? Thanks

DirecTv has established a minimum signal threshold on a DMA by DMA basis. The first phase was on new receiver activations. The next phase will be on movers and service calls. Again to help prevent half-assed installations and service calls.

The why. Unfortunately, in the past there were some that would just get enough signal to get a picture, activate the box and run. Then as soon as a small puff ball cloud passed by, a bird flew in front of the dish or a ladybug crawled accross the LNB, bam 771. Not good for the customer.

For SD stuff, we all pretty much know that it will work (barely) into the low 60's or upper 50's. What D* wants is more signal margin. So, in market X they established an IV level of 85 certain transponders. By taking a hard stance on meeting or exceeding that level, they can ensure that the dish is aimed pretty well.

I honestly don't see this as that big of a deal. I have yet do have to call for a waiver. Not a single one.

If the weather is total crap that day with heavy rain/T-storms, how can one really tell that the dish is peaked to the max? They can't. If it's so bad out that one can't hit those min levels, it shouldn't go in at that time. Sorry.

I'm going to do the job right the first time, or it's not going to happen. I'm not going to get a waiver, hoping that when the weather passes that my signal levels are where they should be.

In the end this will be a good thing for the customer. Do the job right and there will be no issues.

#18 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

The customer is unnafected. You can hit "continue" on the IV retest screen. The problem is for the tech, who can't close the job or get paid.

I could list the scenarios where this will cause major issues.
I'll just say, that this is a very bad idea. :nono:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. If I can not get paid it won't be the first time or the last. I'm used to it
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#19 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:34 PM

My problem is as I said, when the signal is hittin 86, 89, 95, 91, 89, and failing. And then you have to call a sup to bring out a 40' ladder because you need to eek out 3 more points of signal to hit verification.

If you have never had to call for a weather waiver then you are lucky. I've had it rain so hard I had 0's on the signal, when before it started raining I was 99/100.

We get paid by the job, not by the hour. The more time we spend waiting to get a waiver which now, will take 30-45minutes ++++++ since EVERY JOB, not just installs will need one.

It's going to be stupid.

I understand the point. Theres people that are slack, and will leave customers sitting at 75's/80's just because the CM doesn't know any better. That's not me. This is punishing people that do what their supposed to.

It's going to suck.

#20 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

Hopefully these "jitters" are just that. Just like we had jitters for the original IV. The only MAJOR hiccup I can see here is the alternate IRD location issue. This is something that happens a lot. I'm not sure how D* will handle these. Are they just going to tell the customer "Too bad, so sad for you huh"? They seem to have been letting these "Movers' installs" go in very loosley in the last few years, is this going to bite all of those customers in the ass? In that case, I don't really mind. It is against TOS, and I hate those cabin self-installs anyhow. IDK, I guess I have mixed feelings.. Just thinking out loud.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

Protected By... spam firewall...And...