Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

IV Retest

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

Hopefully these "jitters" are just that. Just like we had jitters for the original IV. The only MAJOR hiccup I can see here is the alternate IRD location issue. This is something that happens a lot. I'm not sure how D* will handle these. Are they just going to tell the customer "Too bad, so sad for you huh"? They seem to have been letting these "Movers' installs" go in very loosley in the last few years, is this going to bite all of those customers in the ass? In that case, I don't really mind. It is against TOS, and I hate those cabin self-installs anyhow. IDK, I guess I have mixed feelings.. Just thinking out loud.

I think it will be ok.

Your handheld should be showing which of the customers boxes are scheduled for the IV Retest. If that box isn't there, then the customer will either have to go get it, explain to D* why it's not at the service location or job gets rescheduled. This can all take place in the first 5 minutes of arriving on site.

If the dish is in some crap location, again check the levels on the retest boxes before starting anything. If you need a jetpack to get to the dish, then the call to the sup can be made at that time. If he can come right away, you can procede, if not, something gets worked out with the customer for when you, them and the sup can be there at the same time.

If the weather is iffy, check the levels on the IV retest box, if good enough to pass, do the retest, get the code and close the line. Continue with the rest of the service call. If the levels are crap from the get go, either wait it out or reschedule. You can't guarentee max signal levels in crap weather anyway.

Don't think it's going to be that bad, except for those that slap a new fitting on here and there and call the service call done in 15 minutes.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   goblazers_6

goblazers_6

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

3 days of IV retests under my belt. I haven't had any issues so far, except for the loss of the res code "cust canceled at door". A tech at our shop had to have a job canceled because the cust had a compromised LOS on the 99, cust said he was going to trim the tree blocking the signal. ISS wouldn't give him a waiver so we had to cancel the Service Call. I think I'm actually going to like it, prevents other techs from leaving the job with existing issues.
My Setup: Triple-Sat LNB to a SWM-16 with a 21v power supply - HR24 with a DECA - HR24 with a BSF - H20 with a DECA

#23 OFFLINE   venimus

venimus

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

So I was issued my first IV retest with no prior knowledge of what to do with it (welcome to contracting). A simple DVR upgrade on a swm install. Went off without a hitch. Customer had to leave directly after. Didn't know the IV code is only valid for about 15-20 mins. Also, you have to be marked on site at the job to get the IV retest prompt for another code to be sent. Later I found out if you enter the wrong code after it has expired you have to have dispatch clear the code to all 0's. Now, I'm stuck with a job open for an upgrade that will be my 2nd trip out and it will be about 45 mins from any of my other jobs. I have spoken with the customer multiple times trying to get the prompt to do the retest after dispatch has sent the proper signal and still no confirmation codes. Dispatch is always helpful. However, my experience with ISS so far is all downhill. All of them have been undertrained and not helpful to a situation were (i thought) we were on the same team.

Total calls trying to get a 4 digit code:

16 to the customer
3 to ISS
7 to dispatch

Of course I will be going back to do what ever needs done once I get there tomorrow.

So my current predicament is I cant get the receivers to take the prompt based on something on the computer end to verify a quick test and get me a code. Dispatch would love to help (and trust your techs we love our dispatchers) but they know little to nothing about what shows up on the tv once they press the IV retest button.

So far for a tech that runs with 0% 90 day service call stats I am not liking this at all.

Edited by venimus, 23 January 2011 - 07:41 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

There will be pros and cons to this system but I think after it's tweaked a bit the pro's will outweigh the cons.

MRV is already helping kill a lot of people who had accounts at different places. "What do you mean you have to upgrade all of my receivers?".

Right now people will get stuck in the clean up phase where before they would have left a prior issue because it was working good enough at the time. Now it will have to be fixed. So that part can be frustrating but going forward it should ensure that each time a tech leaves a house everything is working. This should protect everyone.

#25 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:04 PM

There will be pros and cons to this system but I think after it's tweaked a bit the pro's will outweigh the cons.

MRV is already helping kill a lot of people who had accounts at different places. "What do you mean you have to upgrade all of my receivers?".

Right now people will get stuck in the clean up phase where before they would have left a prior issue because it was working good enough at the time. Now it will have to be fixed. So that part can be frustrating but going forward it should ensure that each time a tech leaves a house everything is working. This should protect everyone.

The biggest issue I have with it is that in someones infinite wisdom, they decided that pay should be cut while adding the responsibility of bringing a sub-par but working setup, up to snuff.

More work, less pay. :mad:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#26 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

The biggest issue I have with it is that in someones infinite wisdom, they decided that pay should be cut while adding the responsibility of bringing a sub-par but working setup, up to snuff.

More work, less pay. :mad:

I can agree with that and it's too bad there's not a labor line item that could help out for that, but you know that won't happen. The best option would be to have a couple of hourly guys who do nothing but re-installs when these situations come up. Of course it always comes down to money.

#27 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

Only real problem I have with IV retest is when its on HD-DVRs without second lines in some bedroom requiring it. Customer had one dropped shipped a year ago or something, I'm there to spend an hour fixing something else, and next thing you know I'm running a 2nd line to the box or spending 20+ minutes with ISS on the phone, and then having them attempt to convince the customer that even though they said they don't care about it, I should run the line anyways.

Other than that, any service tech should be able to peak a dish or swap out a faulty lnb rather quickly.

#28 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

Only real problem I have with IV retest is when its on HD-DVRs without second lines in some bedroom requiring it. Customer had one dropped shipped a year ago or something, I'm there to spend an hour fixing something else, and next thing you know I'm running a 2nd line to the box or spending 20+ minutes with ISS on the phone, and then having them attempt to convince the customer that even though they said they don't care about it, I should run the line anyways.

Other than that, any service tech should be able to peak a dish or swap out a faulty lnb rather quickly.

Heavy emphasis on the should. It's not usually the case.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

Protected By... spam firewall...And...