Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need To Save Some Money / Suggestions Please

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

I'd advice against Bixler's advice, on going to Retention. It might get you a deal, but they also may call the bluff and say that you're cancelled.

The voice system isn't going to cancel your service. I never said he had to mention the word cancel to any live person. Just say cancel to the voice system to get into retention so he can speak with a CSR that can make stuff happen.
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:39 PM

Didn't read the whole thread, so apologies if this has already been posted, but if you have AT&T (Bellsouth) phone service or are a AAA member you can get additional discounts. I get $10 off for having a certain AT&T bundle.

+1 on the HD Extra suggestion. You can drop and re-add perpetually every 3 months for free.

Also, if you happen to have netflix, you already get nearly all Starz content.

#23 OFFLINE   johns70

johns70

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:42 PM

That comment about saving money by walking more and riding a bike always kills me.
LOL

Most people don't live close enough to work to walk or ride a bike to work. Most people don't feel like riding a bike to work so they can be sweaty when they get to work. I don't usually go to the store for a few things I can carry on a bike and I don't find it relaxing taking 4X longer to get some place via walking there.

#24 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:35 PM

Off the top of my head, it is similar to Choice with regards to the major channels, but it is missing FX, BBCA, and SyFy if I remember correctly.- Merg

True, it's missing a number of channels we've all come to expect (personally, I couldn't get by without TCM), but it seems to have a pretty good mix so for a lot of folks it might be just right. After all, for somebody who is outside of a cable service area and has had to live with 3 or 4 channels off an antenna, this might seem incredible.

#25 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:04 PM

Just an aside (as I didn't notice it addressed), but the two year agreement is attached to the obtaining and activation of additional equipment and not something that they will barter to enter into just for programming discounts.

#26 OFFLINE   rb5505

rb5505

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

see 2 links below....

http://www.dbstalk.c...630&postcount=4

http://www.dbstalk.c...762&postcount=6

#27 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

Just an aside (as I didn't notice it addressed), but the two year agreement is attached to the obtaining and activation of additional equipment and not something that they will barter to enter into just for programming discounts.

That's true, but it wouldn't hurt to say that. In fact, it might help them realize that, while he needs to cut his bill, he really wants to stay and isn't somebody just trolling for a deal.

Edited by markfp, 09 September 2010 - 06:20 PM.
oops!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...