Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Beware the Labor Day Marathon!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 478 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:33 PM

Once again Labor Day is upon us and once again the various programming marathons spring up like weeds.

Beware! I was away for a few days, got home, took a look at my To Do list, and was shocked to see that it had 90 items on it set to record.:eek2:

Turns out that 74 of these were MARATHON episodes that were INCORRECTLY flagged as being new epsiodes. :mad: It took me quite a while to delete them, one at a time.

The offenders are many: Pawn Stars, Modern Marvels, Mystery Diagnosis, American Pickers, Meteorite Men, Machines!, and others.

This miscoding really has to stop. It's getting to the point where it has the same feel as unwanted spam in your inbox.

Keith

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:58 AM

Are you sure they were all going to actually record or are you just looking at the (14) number of episodes showing in the list of SL's ?

The only program I have in common with you is Pawn Stars and of the 28 shows listed for today's "marathon" the only ones scheduled to record are the 2 new ones on at 10 and 10:30 tonight which is correct.

There are 4 incorrectly scheduled to record ~8 days from now but they have no program data yet and those recordings will eventually turn themselves off when the info is updated.

#3 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 949 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

Are you sure they were all going to actually record or are you just looking at the (14) number of episodes showing in the list of SL's ?

I thought that number was how many were scheduled to record, not how many are showing? Sometimes I have items in my list that show (0) because only new episodes are set to record, but I can hit info > upcoming and see a list of episodes it is skipping over.

#4 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

I thought that number was how many were scheduled to record, not how many are showing? Sometimes I have items in my list that show (0) because only new episodes are set to record, but I can hit info > upcoming and see a list of episodes it is skipping over.

It is what (at that moment) is supposed to be recorded, but they all won't. It all depends on when the guide data is updated. My wife's daily "The Doctor's, Dr Phil and Oprah" SLs all summer continuously showed ~14 shows that were supposed to record in the to-do list. The SL showed (14) and the ® symbol was on all the shows but as the guide date got updated, sometimes as late as a couple hours before the scheduled recording, none ever recorded.

I used to go through them and manually delete them thinking they would actually record, but they don't. 99.5% of the time the recording is removed.

Guide gets updated sometimes at the last minute.

#5 OFFLINE   coolyman

coolyman

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:09 PM

Once again Labor Day is upon us and once again the various programming marathons spring up like weeds.

Beware! I was away for a few days, got home, took a look at my To Do list, and was shocked to see that it had 90 items on it set to record.:eek2:

Turns out that 74 of these were MARATHON episodes that were INCORRECTLY flagged as being new epsiodes. :mad: It took me quite a while to delete them, one at a time.

The offenders are many: Pawn Stars, Modern Marvels, Mystery Diagnosis, American Pickers, Meteorite Men, Machines!, and others.

This miscoding really has to stop. It's getting to the point where it has the same feel as unwanted spam in your inbox.

Keith

I got hit by Pawn Stars and Modern Marvels. I noticed that my to do list was 83 which is double what I expected, all because of those 2 shows. :mad:

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:10 PM

This brings up an interesting question: What is the definition of "first run"?

I have my Living Room DVR set up with a subscription for "World's Toughest Fixes" (which also had a marathon today). As I had previously recorded the shows in the Living Room, none of the episodes were recorded today on that DVR. But in the bedroom, I only recently added this same subscription. Of the eight episodes on today, the bedroom DVR recorded six of them (the six I hadn't previously recorded on that DVR).

So when you set "first run" on the DVR is it actually the first time the show is being aired (assuming no higher priority subscriptions bump it), or is it the first time the DVR has the opportunity to record the show?

#7 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:37 AM

This brings up an interesting question: What is the definition of "first run"?

I have my Living Room DVR set up with a subscription for "World's Toughest Fixes" (which also had a marathon today). As I had previously recorded the shows in the Living Room, none of the episodes were recorded today on that DVR. But in the bedroom, I only recently added this same subscription. Of the eight episodes on today, the bedroom DVR recorded six of them (the six I hadn't previously recorded on that DVR).

So when you set "first run" on the DVR is it actually the first time the show is being aired (assuming no higher priority subscriptions bump it), or is it the first time the DVR has the opportunity to record the show?

There are flags set by the channels that indicate first run.

The situation that you have run into is that the DVR will not record duplicate shows that it has recorded in a certain amount of time. (About a month, though it may be the full duration of the history list.) Even if you set the DVR to record repeats, it will not record those that it knows are duplciates of those already recorded.
DogLover

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:21 AM

The only program I have in common with you is Pawn Stars and of the 28 shows listed for today's "marathon" the only ones scheduled to record are the 2 new ones on at 10 and 10:30 tonight which is correct.

There are 4 incorrectly scheduled to record ~8 days from now but they have no program data yet and those recordings will eventually turn themselves off when the info is updated.

I usually see these marathons in the To-Do list but the they almost always get canceled prior to record time. Every once and a while it records a marathon but usually not.

However, even though it doesn't usually record marathons, it always seems to show up in the To-Do list and I'm not sure why. :scratchin

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#9 OFFLINE   goober22

goober22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 475 posts
  • LocationSunny Flori-Duh!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

I had it happen Labor Day with "How It's Made". It DID record them all on my R15. I get it sometimes with Mythbusters as well.

Resident Jenius!

DirecTV = HR20-700x2, HR20-100x2, R22-100+AM21Nx2, DECA Networked, R15-500x1 (not activated), D12-300x2, Slimeline-5, SWM16, WHDVR, OTA=21, WOW (Knology) Cable = 50Mbps Internet & Phone,  Hitachi 65S700 65", Sanyo 50" Plasma x2, Hisense 42" LCD, Scepter 40" LCD, Vizio 26" LCD, Hiteker 32" LCD,  Sony 7.1 Receiver, Sony 7.1 Speaker System

Protected By... spam firewall...And...