Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA module questions

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:06 AM

I’m considering getting Dish & have visited a couple dealers & am getting conflicting info so I have a few questions.

It appears I would get the ViP722K DVR and the optional dual tuner OTA module. I’ve read on the forum there is a charge for this module, but the dealers don’t think there is. But they really don’t know. Does anyone know if this charge has been dropped?

One dealer said when I connect the OTA antenna that my local channels would automatically be added to the program guide. But he’s the same person that said I don’t need a phone or Ethernet connection to order on-demand or PPV, but had no idea how Dish would receive my request.

I was just expecting a slightly higher level of product knowledge from a dealer.

Anyway, any information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jscudder

jscudder

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:37 AM

There is a fee to use the OTA module but it will cost you $30 to have it shipped to your home. Once installed, the OTA stations will show up in your guide.

#3 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:08 AM

There is no fee to use the OTA module but it will cost you $30 to have it shipped to your home. Once installed, the OTA stations will show up in your guide.

Fixed that for you :)

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#4 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:53 AM

I've read somewhere that the OTA module was built in to certain models but I don't think the 722k is one of them. The cost of the module itself is $30 but its use is otherwise free. I've also heard that you will NOT receive program guide information for your OTA channels UNLESS you subscribe to 'local channels' in your programming package. I think all pacakges these days include locals but I know there are others on this board who have basic packages without locals.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#5 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:34 PM

The dual-tuner OTA module can be used with the 222k, 722k and 922.

Current receivers with a built-in single OTA tuner are the 211/411, 211k, 222, 612, and 622/722.

Edited by BobaBird, 07 September 2010 - 10:48 PM.
forgot the 222

Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#6 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

The OTA module has gone up in price, it's now $50.

https://customersupp...nnector=otapage
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,971 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

I've read somewhere that the OTA module was built in to certain models but I don't think the 722k is one of them. The cost of the module itself is $30 but its use is otherwise free. I've also heard that you will NOT receive program guide information for your OTA channels UNLESS you subscribe to 'local channels' in your programming package. I think all pacakges these days include locals but I know there are others on this board who have basic packages without locals.

for additional payment

#8 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:25 PM

Actually all packages now include locals, and you can't remove them from the account for a cost savings anymore.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#9 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:01 AM

Thank you for the information.

#10 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:08 PM

$29.99 from solidsignal http://www.solidsign...Components&sku=

plus $9 shipping.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#11 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 05:48 PM

$29.99 from solidsignal http://www.solidsign...Components&sku=

plus $9 shipping.

That's a good deal. Dish Depot wants $10 more. I did not check shipping cost.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#12 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:04 PM

Dish Depot prices are higher so they can give "free" shipping.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#13 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:36 PM

I got Dish installed last week with the 722k DVR and the optional dual tuner OTA module. Today I had a conflict scheduling with the OTA tuners, or at least appeared I did. Or of course I just don't yet know what I'm doing. I scheduled three programs, two at 7pm (one only 30 minutes long) & one at 9pm. There should not have been a conflict because the one early program would have been done way before 9pm. I don’t recall the exact steps, but I deleted either 1 or 2 of these OTA scheduled recordings & re-entered them in a different order & everything was then OK. Sometimes I had the same problem with my Comcast DVR.

Is there any way to tell which OTA tuner is being used for which program? The little antenna icon appears to be the same for each tuner. Or is there a way to switch or force a specific tuner?

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

#14 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:44 PM

Is there any way to tell which OTA tuner is being used for which program?

No, unfortunately.

#15 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:40 PM

I might not have had an OTA schedule conflict, it just may be the way I interpreted the screen message. I set up some scheduling last night & received a message about changing my settings, which is probably what I previously saw. I think changing the ending time of a program prompted the message. I took it to mean that I had to change to the settings due to a conflict, but it appears it just wants to confirm the modified ending time. Obviously I'll play with it some more.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...