Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local channels question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:45 AM

I have an old grandfathered package that pre-dates delivery of local channels by DTV. Consequently, my locals are an additional line item in my bill, at $6/mo.

I'm looking at changing packages, and was under the impression that all of today's packages included delivery of locals as a no additional cost item, but in the DTV Base Packages page, they all say "Local channels not included".

But when I view the channel list further down on the page, the locals are shown for all packages. So are locals included or not? If not, what do they charge for locals?
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:56 AM

Easiest answer CALL DIRECTV and ask.

#3 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:57 AM

I have an old grandfathered package that pre-dates delivery of local channels by DTV. Consequently, my locals are an additional line item in my bill, at $6/mo.

I'm looking at changing packages, and was under the impression that all of today's packages included delivery of locals as a no additional cost item, but in the DTV Base Packages page, they all say "Local channels not included".

But when I view the channel list further down on the page, the locals are shown for all packages. So are locals included or not? If not, what do they charge for locals?

When I view that page, it says locals included. It may be that since your locals are an add-on, you still have the option to not get locals. What price does it have for the packages?
DogLover

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:17 AM

It sounds as if you are reading the package description wrong or Directv hasn't updated it for some reason. You do get local channels out of Atlanta included in your package. There should be no extra charge for them. That is assuming your zip code is 29801. Is it?

#5 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

When you are signed into your account and want to check the packages that are available, the page you are taken to depends on what package you are currently signed up for. I think that the reason why the link you provided shows "local channels not included" is because of your current grandfathered package and the fact that local channels are not included in that package.

Go to this link, which is for new customers.
http://www.directv.c...ooternavtype=-1
You will notice that the packages in that link show that local channels are included, but the prices for the packages (after the initial promotional period pricing ends) are all $5 per month higher than the prices in the link that you provided. So, either way, the prices are (almost) the same. In the case of your package, local channels are $6 extra per month, but that extra $5 is almost offset by the fact that the package prices are $5 lower than would be the case for the same packages with local channels included. Further, if you changed your package and moved to one of the currently offered package and if you then clicked to check available packages, I'm sure that you would see each package listed with local channels included, but the package prices would each be $5 per month higher. Thus, it would appear that your bill would be $1 per month lower with a current package that includes locals; however, if you don't need to get your locals via the satellite, you would be paying less with your plan and just not subscribing to the local channels.

#6 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:43 AM

Locals are included in the pricing of each specific package... at an additional cost of $3.00 over the same package without locals.

You're currently being charged $6.00 for locals due to the fact that you have an old "grandfathered" package which requires locals to be added as a seperate line item... and adds an extra $3.00 premium to the cost of locals.

lesz is correct regarding why that page states "Local channels not included."

~Alan

#7 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:20 AM

When I view that page, it says locals included. It may be that since your locals are an add-on, you still have the option to not get locals. What price does it have for the packages?

Mine says "Locals not included" even when NOT logged in to identify my account, but I had previously been logged during this browser session so it might be related to a cookie on my computer that still identifies me and my account, I guess.

Prices shown are, for instance:
Choice (no locals) - $55.99
Choice Extra (no locals) - $60.99

Go to this link, which is for new customers.
http://www.directv.c....oternavtype=-1
You will notice that the packages in that link show that local channels are included, but the prices for the packages (after the initial promotional period pricing ends) are all $5 per month higher than the prices in the link that you provided.

Actually, they're only $3 higher, not $5, so my locals would be charged $3 less with a new package vs my grandfathered one.

Choice (with locals) - $58.99
Choice Extra (with locals) - $63.99

Thanks for your help, guys. I'm on autopay so I thought I ought to call and try to get my HD charge dropped and thought I'd revise my package at the same time. Think I'm gonna go for Choice Ultimate.

Guess I'm off to get in the "next available agent" phone queue ...
HR24-500, HR22-100

#8 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:22 AM

You do get local channels out of Atlanta included in your package. There should be no extra charge for them. That is assuming your zip code is 29801. Is it?

No, I'm 29803, but it's still the same DMA. Actually, our locals are Augusta, not Atlanta.
HR24-500, HR22-100

#9 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:24 PM

No, I'm 29803, but it's still the same DMA. Actually, our locals are Augusta, not Atlanta.

Oops! You're right, it's Augusta, not Atlanta. I must have read it wrong the first time. Either way, you should show them as available and part of your package cost.

#10 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

Locals are included in the pricing of each specific package... at an additional cost of $3.00 over the same package without locals.

You're currently being charged $6.00 for locals due to the fact that you have an old "grandfathered" package which requires locals to be added as a seperate line item... and adds an extra $3.00 premium to the cost of locals.

lesz is correct regarding why that page states "Local channels not included."

~Alan

I was able to get ahold of someone that changed me from Plus HD DVR without locals to Plus HD DVR with locals so that it only raised my bill $3 instead of $6. Its not easy to get someone to do that but it can be done. I think it was June when I was able to get it done the day my locals launched here.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-100 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR44-500 Owned. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#11 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:31 PM

Okay, I've changed my package to Choice Ultimate. I've added the new channels to my custom guide. It shows the new channels in blue as non-subscribed, but I can tune them in okay. Is this one of those "wait 24 hours for the guide to update" things, or do I need to reboot?

Don't wanna reboot now but can do it when I hit the hay tonight...
HR24-500, HR22-100

#12 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

Id say if it doesnt correct itself overnight, then go to the DirecTv website and go to the troubleshooting section where you will find a menu option to resend authorization to your receiver. That should fix it.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#13 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

They should be authorized right away.. like Davenlr said, do a resend authorizations, or call up D* and tell the CSR to resend authorizations to all of you receivers. Should resolve the issue.
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#14 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

They WERE authorized right away -- I have no problem accessing them, starting within a minute after the phone call. The only difficulty is that they still show in the Guide in blue, indicating they are unsubscribed channels.
HR24-500, HR22-100

#15 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:04 PM

They WERE authorized right away -- I have no problem accessing them, starting within a minute after the phone call. The only difficulty is that they still show in the Guide in blue, indicating they are unsubscribed channels.

Did you try refreshing your receivers in the GUIDE? If not, go here and click REFRESH YOUR RECEIVERS. Then you can follow the rest of the instructions.

If that doesn't work, restart it.

~Alan

#16 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:34 PM

Have finally had a chance to check today. Looks like the problem was taken care of overnight -- no more blue listings for the channels i just added.
HR24-500, HR22-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...