Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Boise beats Virgina Tech.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:56 PM

And with VA Tech losing to JMU, that makes BSU's strength of schedule even weaker...
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:05 PM

And with VA Tech losing to JMU, that makes BSU's strength of schedule even weaker...

Somehow I suspect Va Tech will count against Boise more than Duke will count against Alabama.

Heck... the whole ACC looked like crap this weekend and I'm an ACC fan... but ACC and Big East are in the BCS with automatic bids for their conference champion.

For all the "Boise wouldn't make it in the SEC" conversations... I bet Boise would run the table in the Big East or ACC... but I don't hear anyone talking about how no one in the ACC or Big East plays a good conference schedule like we do with Boise.

It's a shame when someone in the ACC this year will get a BCS bid... not a championship big, but a BCS major bowl bid... and probably have 2-3 losses in getting there... while Boise would have to go undefeated just to be in consideration for a BCS bid... and won't sniff the championship game unless everyone else loses at least 1 game... and probably teams like Alabama would need to lose 2 games to drop.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#23 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,076 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

but I don't hear anyone talking about how no one in the ACC or Big East plays a good conference schedule like we do with Boise.

They do talk about the Big East. Remember there is a requirement for a BCS conference to maintain an average ranking for its conference champion of 12 or higher over a 4 year period. This has been dubbed the "Big East Rule." But somehow the Big East seems to have one team bubble up each year to keep them in the top 12.

If it weren't for its status in basketball, the Big East would not be a BCS conference.

My Setup

#24 OFFLINE   sorentodd45

sorentodd45

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

That's another part of the equation... the teams with more reputation don't want to play at Boise... but Boise would like to schedule 2-year home-and-home games I expect.

I read an interview somewhere with the BSU athletic director that the reason for that (high profile teams not wanting to come to Boise) is because of the capacity of Bronco Stadium. It only seats 33K, so there's less money to be made for the visiting team.

Personally I think that's a crock; the Alabama's and the Texas's like to schedule creampuffs out of conference so they can pick up an easy win.

#25 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

I read an interview somewhere with the BSU athletic director that the reason for that (high profile teams not wanting to come to Boise) is because of the capacity of Bronco Stadium. It only seats 33K, so there's less money to be made for the visiting team.

Personally I think that's a crock; the Alabama's and the Texas's like to schedule creampuffs out of conference so they can pick up an easy win.

They pay those cream-puffs big money. Alabama paid my alum UNT $750,000 for last years arse whoopin'.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#26 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:12 AM

It is a crock. That is why you schedule a home and home. You get the all the money when they come to your place and they get all the money when you go to theirs. I would think BSU would be an attractive draw for schools that don't sell out early season non-conference games.

My Setup

#27 OFFLINE   the_batman

the_batman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:50 AM

It is a crock. That is why you schedule a home and home. You get the all the money when they come to your place and they get all the money when you go to theirs. I would think BSU would be an attractive draw for schools that don't sell out early season non-conference games.

Well, the big schools do prefer to have schools come to them. Alabama sells 100,000 plus tickets and pay the smaller schools an amount they would not get @ their home stadiums. It's a win win.

As for cream puffs, when you play LSU #15, Florida #10, (recent national championship teams), Penn State #18, Arkansas #12, South Carolina #13 Tenn, Auburn #16 are a few easier teams not allowed?

#28 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:18 AM

Yes it is, but I am not talking about the large schools who would sell out even if they were playing a junior college. I am talking about the smaller of the BCS schools. Take my in-state rival WVU. They sell out for Pitt and Louisville, but when a MAC school comes to town, there are 15-20,000 unsold seats, plus they have to pay a fee to that school.

Instead of a MAC team, bring in BSU. You would get another sell out and even if you had to pay, you would still be better off. The go to them the next year. So even if they only have 33,000 seats to sell, that is a them problem.

With the caveat that BSU has a much better chance of beating you than does a MAC school.

I think people just don't like the smurf turf.

My Setup

#29 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:44 PM

They do talk about the Big East. Remember there is a requirement for a BCS conference to maintain an average ranking for its conference champion of 12 or higher over a 4 year period. This has been dubbed the "Big East Rule." But somehow the Big East seems to have one team bubble up each year to keep them in the top 12.

The inherent problem, of course, with that is that the way the system works... it is much more likely for a Big East team to "bubble up" each year because there is incentive for their coaches to vote that way instead of honestly.

Given the "strength" of the Big East... should a 1-loss Big East team really finish in the top ten? I like how that schedule and conference strength thing only seems to apply to the non-BCS conferences.

Like we are saying... there's really nothing about the Big East (or ACC really this year) that screams "strong"... but those conferences will be given the benefit of the doubt over Boise St's conference or TCU as well.

Granted, the ACC is working hard to ensure they don't even have a 1-loss team at the end :)

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...