Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Phone won't work with connected home adaptor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Uscbryan

Uscbryan

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:39 PM

Hi all. I am new here and I hope this is the correct place for a help question. We just moved into our new home and we had directv installed. Coming from FIOS where you can get all in one (phone interenet tv) we had to go with cox cable phone and Internet. My issue is when the the connected home adaptor is plugged in to the outlet in the wall the cox phone doesn't work in the other rooms. I guess I need the box plugged in to get pay per view and maybe other benefits but any suggestions on what the issue is?

Thank you

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:20 AM

Sounds like the installer used the existing cable tv cables perhaps. Your incoming cable should go directly to the cable modem, and the cable modem should be plugged into a router (unless the cable modem has a router built in). There should not be a splitter before the cable modem, and the internet network cable from the DirecTv connected home adapter should be plugged into the router/switch. If you have a separate VoIP phone modem plugged into the router, make sure its not using the same IP address as one of the DirecTv boxes. Lots could be wrong. Suggest posting your exact setup, what devices are hooked up, and how your wiring is run.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Uscbryan

Uscbryan

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:30 AM

Thanks for the quick response. The router and phone wiring/cat 5 are all in the closet away from the tv. I guess that's why he plugged the cat5 straight into the cat5 outlet in on the wall. Somehow it is sharing it with the phone line. The phone is in another room but I am guessing the whole home network is conflicting somehow. We don't use the cat5 outlets for the computers. It's all wireless. Wireless router hooked to the cable modem. The main tv with the DVD is in a room with no phone Jack or cat5 Jack. The HD receiver in the bedroom is the one next to the Jack the box is plugged into that is affecting the phone. Hope I didn't make it too confusing. I am somewhat computer literate but sometimes get the terms screwed up.

Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:11 AM

Make sure that the cat5 line from the box to the wall is actually going to a cat5/ethernet line and not your phone line. Doing so will cause all sorts of issues with your phone.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:33 AM

Yes, if Directv installed it, you need to have them come back out and fix it. If your cat5 isnt connected to your router, but is used for phone service, they will need to route a coax to your central closet and direct connect the whole home to your routers ethernet port with a DECA, or use a wireless connection to bridge to your internet.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

spam firewall