Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need help figuring out the MRV deal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   swallman

swallman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:58 AM

I am currently a Dish Network customer with SD equipment but am looking to upgrade to HD. Had DirecTV many years ago (before HD) and am considering switching back.

We currently have 3 DVR's, one with 2 tuners. The 2nd tuner of the 2-tuner DVR is connected to 3 TV's, everything else goes to a single set.

We were thinking of switching to 2 HD DUO DVR receivers (on Dish) which would give us essentially what we have today with a bit more flexibility.

Just wondering what options would be available for a similar setup on DirecTV ? With the MRV option, do we need HD Receivers for each TV ? What if the TV isn't HD (and not planned to upgrade) ? With Dish the receiver will downscale if needed.

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Codfishjoe

Codfishjoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:25 AM

So if my understanding is correct, you would need service on a total of 6 tvs, but 3 of the tvs show the same programming on them since they're all hooked to one tuner, right?

To give you the information, you do need one seperate receiver for each tv you want different programming on. You are able to hook a receiver up to multiple tvs to get the same programming on each tv, but you aren't able to split the tuners of DTV DVRS between TVs. Both tuners would go to one tv.

The MRV does require HD receivers, and what it does is allow HDDVRs to share recordings to any other HD receiver in the home, so you would need one hd receiver per tv to view recordings. The HD receivers do work with sd tvs. So a good question would be, how many tvs do you want to be able to view seperate programming on?

Edited by Codfishjoe, 08 September 2010 - 10:27 AM.
More Info

I am not really a codfish.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,928 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:30 AM

DIRECTV doesn't offer RF modulators on any of their current HD equipment, so you'll not be sharing any receivers without external modulators.

HD cannot be transmitted via RF modulators so, as with DISH Network, you'll need an HD receiver for each HDTV or you'll have to use both HDMI and component to share a single receiver between two HDTVs (surround sound audio becomes complicated here).

Note that DIRECTV makes you choose between IR and RF remote control so you'll need to plan accordingly. If you choose RF, you'll have to use the quite capable DIRECTV remote (universal remotes are not an option).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   gss1537

gss1537

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

I don't know the technical terms to answer your question but we just switched from Dish as of 9/4 and the HD picture quality is better with DirecTv HR24's than what our VIP622 was. Not sure if the box matters but so far DirecTV picture quality is better.

I have a HR24 connected to a SD TV and have no problems. There is a format button on remote that lets you toy with the screen output.

#5 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:59 AM

I don't know the technical terms to answer your question but we just switched from Dish as of 9/4 and the HD picture quality is better with DirecTv HR24's than what our VIP622 was. Not sure if the box matters but so far DirecTV picture quality is better.

I have a HR24 connected to a SD TV and have no problems. There is a format button on remote that lets you toy with the screen output.

The PQ on all D* boxes is very similar. The differences are in other areas (speed, wide-band tuners, DECA, etc).

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#6 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:17 PM

personally from reading about severe equipment shortages on the DirecTV HD side I'd wait for now.

Something else to think about is getting one Dual DVR. and two VIP211 or VIP211K hd receivers and paying a one time $40 fee for enabling them to use a USB drive of 50 to 750Gb to become a single tuner DVR without paying the DVR fee. You can save some money that way.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...