Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New customer- "First Run"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gss1537

gss1537

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:44 AM

Just switched from Dish to DirecTV and learning the terminology and ins and outs of the DVR and MRV. What does "First Run" actually mean when trying to set up a Series to record?

Dish Network always skipped over episodes that were not new but looking at the DirecTV guide info., shows that are actually new do not show the word "new".

Will I have to go in and delete recordings or does DirecTV DVR actually recognize if a show is New?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

Just switched from Dish to DirecTV and learning the terminology and ins and outs of the DVR and MRV. What does "First Run" actually mean when trying to set up a Series to record?

Dish Network always skipped over episodes that were not new but looking at the DirecTV guide info., shows that are actually new do not show the word "new".

Will I have to go in and delete recordings or does DirecTV DVR actually recognize if a show is New?

First run refers to a new never aired beforer show. You can look at the show air date that almost everyting has if you choose more info on the title itself.

A "repeat" is just that, a repeat of an already aired show....

#3 OFFLINE   Codfishjoe

Codfishjoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

Selecting the First Run is supposed to make the DVR record only episodes that are first being aired, not repeats. This is largely dependent on the guide data that the programmer provides for the show though. If it has a generic entry for the guide date, it will either completely miss it, or record multiple showings of the same thing. In general it works very well since programmers are pretty good at putting correct info in for guide data.
I am not really a codfish.

#4 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

It all depends on how accurate the guide data is. Sometimes it's accurate, sometimes it's not (The Daily Show comes to mind immediately). "First Run" means new, as in not a repeat.

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:18 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that there is actually a flag that the guide data provider uses. If the guide data does not have this flag checked, the show will not be considered First Run. DirecTV has no ability to do anything with this flag except to see if it is checked or not. That is how they determine if a show is First Run or not.

Unfortunately, due to bad guide data, it does occur where the flag is not checked when it should be and vice versa.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#6 OFFLINE   gss1537

gss1537

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:52 PM

Does the guide info. get downloaded overnight to the receivers? My "To Do" list just shows alot of episodes to be recorded. I will look closer tonight at the "more info" with some programs wile trying to learn the nuances of D*.

I'm just trying to make sure I don't miss Glee......haha j/k

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

Guide data is downloaded in the background when the receiver (or for DVRs, when one of the tuners) isn't in use.

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:15 PM

Does the guide info. get downloaded overnight to the receivers? My "To Do" list just shows alot of episodes to be recorded. I will look closer tonight at the "more info" with some programs wile trying to learn the nuances of D*.

I'm just trying to make sure I don't miss Glee......haha j/k

When shows are still over a week out, it is possible that the descriptions of those shows will be the generic. However, if the info is updated and it turns out that the show should/should not be recorded, your ToDo List will be updated accordingly.

BTW, Glee has recorded without issue for me.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:32 AM

As mentioned above, the guide data is "usually" pretty good, but it does have it's issues with First runs vs Repeated at times.

My suggestion is to check your ToDo list every few days or before a critical show is supposed to be recorded to make sure it is on the ToDo list.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...